Pennsylvania-Central

wedding bands - ughhh....vent

Fi and I went to about 8 stores today, getting the "lay of the land", exploring, doing some window shopping for wedding bands, and wow.. what a long day! We went to a few local stores, and a few national, and there was a HUGE different. There was so much pressure to buy immediately at the chains, and they were all somehow managing to really like us, so they were willing to cut us a deal.  Uh huh.  Right.   Short ending, we didnt buy any.  We both now found what we like, so its a matter of price/quality shopping now.  but please... not for a few more weeks.. I need a break :-) 

Re: wedding bands - ughhh....vent

• edited December 2011
    wow, sorry to hear the experience wasn't as great as it could have been!  We just went with the same jeweler that FI got my ring from; they had extra deals for us since we had bought already, and they have just been great to us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We went looking at a few chains yesterday as well.  Not sure I liked what I saw.  I mean, the rings were nice but none of them seem to get the diamonds certified and we both agree that we want something with good quaility.  We will probably go to the same place that he got my engagement ring.  They are more expensive but the quality is amazing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
    my read shelf:
    Lisa T's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Books read in 2011: 32 of 75
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I had pretty much the same experience a few years ago when we were purchasing bands. We went round and round at all the chain stores, some local jewelers and also some department stores. I know it can be frustrating but you are on the right track! Take a little breather and I'm sure you'll find the best deal out there!

We ended up liking a ring we found at Boscovs - if you can believe that! With the sale they were running at the time it was a better deal than any of the others were offering. I also really liked the fact that the salesperson was not pushy at all. We did purchase the lifetime insurance plan and I'm glad of that because DH lost one of the diamonds last month.  
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    Bummer! We've looked at some of the chains too and have never felt pressured to buy anything. But my FI tells me I come off as intimidating so maybe that's why people don't try their bull with us. I would never buy from someone who was pushy! We still haven't purchase our rings and I am so worried that I will actually forget to get them!

The worst place I walked into was the Swaroski crystal place in the Park City mall. That guy almost got punched. They have pretty jewelry (no wedding bands) but I like to look. After firmly stating that I was just browsing, the sales guy kept picking pieces to show me saying that he could tell what my style was based on what I was wearing. I told him I thought the ones he picked were ugly and were not my style at all.!

Good idea to take a break! I go on wedding breaks. I will refuse to look at or do anything wedding related until I feel refreshed. Post pics when you finally get them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AaronAndNikkiAaronAndNikki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I got really lucky...  We went to the Zales outlet in Hershey on Black Friday (at midnight).  They were so busy they didn't have time to be pushy and we both got rings there for SUPER cheap!

I believe my band was supposed to be just over $1000 and he got it for just under $300.  His band was supposed to be $600 and I got it for $175.  Basically - 75% off the chain's actual price!  I mean, I know chains aren't ideal but those prices it works for me!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards