Getting in Shape

I'm going to try again

This has been something that I have been meaning to do for a very long time.

Back in high school, I was very active in sports. I have asthma so this was an incentive for me to have control over it. I lettered in basketball and played field hockey. All I did was play, eat like a horse, and sleep. Looking back on it now I was in pretty decent shape. 

When I got to college I majored in musical theatre. This required me to become skilled in dancing. I summoned up the courage and joined a jazz dance class. It was hard, painful, and exhilarating all at the same time. It was wonderful when I was able to nail the dance combos! Soon it started to become like a drug. I took ballet and even modern dance. I was dancing in three different classes six times a week for about four hours a day. I shrunk from my size 20 to 14! It was amazing and I was able to wear clothes that had been hiding in the back of my closet!

Around this time I met my then BF/now FI. We were in a bad car accident. He was alright but I fractured my pelvis in four places. I was confined to a wheelchair for six months. This prevented me from dancing anymore. I had to change majors to theatre arts because school was threatening me to finish on time. 

Fortunately I was able to recover well thanks to all the dancing. My physical therapist was shocked when I was able to pull my foot to my forehead without breaking a sweat. I had to learn how to walk again which was really difficult, but I had my amazing FI to be there every step of the way. I wouldn't have done it if it weren't for him.

So now I'm at a size 22. I was in my best friend's wedding last month. I didn't really like seeing myself in the pictures. I promised myself that I was going to get healthier again but I had to start small or else I would get discouraged. 

My sister's wedding is this August. I already have my dress but it is a little small. I have started some light stretching at night before I go to bed. I am focusing on certain parts of the body on different nights: arms, abs, and legs. I am hoping that when I put my MOH dress on it will fit perfectly. Of course if it doesn't I can exchange it but I'm hoping this little goal of mine is successful.

The one great thing that came out of all of this is my FI. He is completely supportive of what I want to do for myself, and it helps that he adores me regardless of my size. I'm hoping that for our wedding next November that I can get down to a 16. This is my longterm goal and I hope to achieve it! If you've gotten this far thank you for reading this. :)

Re: I'm going to try again

• you.go.girl :)  good luck to you!  I'm a physical rehab nurse and know from experience exercise will help you continue to heal while getting back into shape.  pilates seems like it would be a great exercise modality for you to pursue as it is dance-related and low impact. 
  • Times like these REALLY demonstrate how important it is to have a great diet for short term goals, long-term weight loss goals, and life-long health. 

I suggest you read the FAQ stickies at the top of this board regarding nutrition as it has a great outline. Exercise is great, and obviously important for your recovery and eventual weight goals, but diet will make a HUGE difference. ESPECIALLY when you first start out. 

GL op, and stick around! These ladies are very inspiring and motivating!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards