Kentucky
Options

Location, location, location! Driving me nuts...

So, I'm currently living in Los Angeles, but I'm originally from Murray, KY.  The wedding isn't for... god knows how long, haha... at least 2011. So, I'm jumping the gun a bit, haha, but I'm kind of planning/getting inspired, even though we haven't set a date yet.

I'm starting to get worried, though, that no one will come to our wedding. My family is all in KY, his is in Alabama/South Carolina, my closest friends from college are scattered... but NO ONE that I really care about that deeply is out here in LA.

We had briefly discussed getting married in Nashville, TN, since it's kind of half way between the families, but there are some weird TN marriage laws, and I don't really know if I want my license to be from TN. (ex: $100 for license, unless you get some premarital course degree?)

So, I'm thinking, I could probably plan something in my hometown, right? Well, the problem with that is that the only places to get married in Murray would be churches, and I don't want to be married within sight of a church.

So, after my long-winded intro, a question:
Any one know of any good ceremony/reception venues in south-western KY? The look I'd love to achieve is urban, cityscape, etc.... but failing that, I'll settle with modern and non-religious, haha.

Thanks for any input you may have! If anyone's from Murray, give me shout out. We probably know each other Smile

Re: Location, location, location! Driving me nuts...

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I went to Murray State! 

There are plenty of options other than churches.  I'm not sure I'll be able to find websites for all of these, but I'll try:

The Murray Country Club  http://www.murraycountryclub.com/clubhouse.htm
    The Murray Women's Club  http://www.murraywomansclub.org/clubhouse_rentals.htm
    Green Turtle Bay Resort (Grand Rivers)  http://www.greenturtlebay.com/ -- currently having a wedding giveaway!

We had sorority formals at each of those locations.  Green Turtle Bay would be my favorite by far, but with proper decorating the other two can work too.  I have also attended a wedding reception there, and it was really nice.  The condos can be rented by your WP or guests, and there's no need for them to drive or you to worry about drinking and driving, etc.

Another location that might be worth considering is the Woodmen of the World.  Last time I was there it was just a really blank slate.  I'm really not sure how to get in touch with them, though.  Some limited info:  http://www.weddingmapper.com/plan/vendor/ky/murray/reception_venues/woodmen_of_the_world/187873

There's an AWESOME old house in Paducah that holds about 150, unless you add a tent or risk the weather.  I *think* this is the website.  It's been a while since I was there, but I LOVED it.  http://reneeseventcenter.com/aboutus.php The prices look really reasonable, too. 

Other things I found that I have no personal knowledge of, but turned up via the Murray Convention Center's website:
    http://murraybanquetcenter.com/Rental_Rates.html (a little boring, but budget friendly)
    http://www.mymurray.com/maplecenter/ (This one looks nice, but there are only a few pictures.  Still, worth a call!)

Anyway, I'd try that place in Paducah or Green Turtle Bay first/second, and then the other options in Murray.  I've still got friends who live there, so if you get stuck, let me know.  I'll pester them for some suggestions too, if you want. 

Please keep us posted - I really want to see what you plan.  I miss Murray.

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I've been out of Murray so long that it's really hard to think about what's there. Thanks for the links, that's really helpful!

I don't think I could get married at Woodmen of the World, though. I went to summer camp there as a kid, haha. It would be... really... nostalgic... in a very odd way.

I'll try to keep you posted on what we decide to do. I'm about to throw Los Angeles out the window as a wedding location, if for no other reason than everything is too expensive. All this, and we don't even have a date yet. I'm ridiculous, haha.
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    The woodmen building I'm thinking of is on the court square.  My ex's frat used to have parties there, as they didn't have a house.  The  area they used was on the 2nd floor - I totally don't remember the first floor of the building, though.  I do remember somebody locking themselves IN the bathroom, though.  That was funny.

Seriously, that place in Paducah - if I could drag it to central KY, I'd be getting married in it.  I was engaged before, right out of college, and I wanted to have the wedding there SO BAD but ex-FI's family is enormous, and his mom's guest list was 200 people.  Gah!  Oh well, that wedding didn't happen anyway - but I LOVED that venue.

The only thing that would stress me about a Paducah wedding is finding a photographer.  I'm not sure how many there are to choose from, but most of the ones in Louisville will travel, for a fee. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    Also. . . you're about 5 years younger than I am, I think (based on your bio).  Any chance you have older siblings who went to Murray?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have two much older half-brothers, but they were in high school when I was born and left town shortly thereafter.

It's always so odd to meet people who know about Murray, haha.

I do love that house in Paducah, it's so charming. It's definitely a place that I know my mother would appreciate, as opposed to the places I was looking at here in LA (really raw urban spaces that cost WAAAAAAAY too much).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Just FYI--I'm pretty sure the TN marriage license thing only applies to Tennessee residents. For out of state residents, no counseling is required and it's $45. But that might just be Sevier County (Gatlinburg)...
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think you'll find any urban lofts there.  Now, Nashville, STL, Louisville, or Lexington - quite possibly.  But not within an hour of Murray, I don't think. 

That Maple one. . . it might be the closest.  But you'd spend a fortune renting really mod chairs and such to try to push it over the top.  There might be something in Paducah, but if it's there, none of my friends have ever mentioned it. 

Strange suggestion - but what about the fair grounds?  I seem to recall a barn out there.  Alcohol could be an issue, though.

Or there's this place:  http://www.tourmurray.com/Rentalregulations.pdf
    Rule #1 is apparently no alcohol, though.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    tant04tant04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I graduated from Murray State.  I wouldn't choose Woodman...too small.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fair grounds would be awesome, actually. I don't know why, haha, but it sounds fun.

argh, I mean, it's not like I'm a big drinker, but still... stupid dry county, haha.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So, I have never posted on here but I just graduated from MSU in December so I thought I might be a little help.  If you want to do outdoors I have seen beautiful pictures of wedding from areas in Land Between the Lakes.  I don't know exactly who to contact about that.  Maybe KY State Parks?
    Also, the woodmen building is now out 4th Street (I believe), a friend of mine had her reception there.  There was a place on the square that you were talking about and I believe it has closed.
    If it is a small wedding I know many people look into Patti's 1880's Settlement.
    Hope that was some help.
  • Options
    tinabean00tinabean00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butting in here, you talked about midpoint in nashville, I'm in Bowling Green, which is about 45 minutes from nashville straight up I65 and am getting married at Lost River Cave, something very different and very beautiful!  I'm so excited, might not be for you, but could be that midpoint you were thinking about, something a little different and destination for everyone. 
    www.lostrivercave.com
    HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also looking for a venue in that area thank you for the suggestions, lol.  I have looked into the green turtle bay, good luck is all I can say!  I had a difficult time getting a hold of who you need to talk to and then he acted like it was an inconvenience to talk to me, so I gave up on that one.  I have also looked into pattis, which is beautiful.  Also Kenlake is another option
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards