July 2013 Weddings

Shoes & Dress Fitting!

I've had a very whirlwind week! I went on Monday to get my shoes. I saved up for months and decided to splurge on Christian Louboutins. I chose a classic nude peep toe with a low heel, not very bride or wedding. I figured no one will even really see them under my dress and I could get tons of use out of them after the wedding. I made a trip to the store, found the employees to be snotty and they kept insisting I get a size smaller than I was trying on. Well, I should have trusted my instincts and walked out of the store, but I let myself get caught up in the hype and bought them. The shoes are GARBAGE. The fit is awful on all of them; they squeeze, pinch and rub everywhere. I figured I'd have to "break them in." What I didn't anticipate was just how quickly they are getting marked, scuffed and destroyed. The red is already rubbing off the bottoms and that's just from trying to break them in a little inside my house on carpetting which means I don't think I would even be able to exchange them because they look worn. 

So, I bring the shoes today for my first fitting. The fitting was 2 hours long and my feet were numb by the end. It looks like I'm going to just end up wearing a pair of shoes I already have in my closet that are super comfortable. The good news - my dress is perfect!! I was so worried, but once I had it on today it just felt right and made me cry. It was a little tight in the ribs and very heavy to wear but overall, I'm finally feeling like I made the right decision. At least it looks good. ( Now maybe I can stop having late night panicked moments where I look at other dresses.)  The best part of it all was feeling like a bride and having this wedding really start to become a reality!

How's everyone else doing with attire issues?
Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shoes & Dress Fitting!

• Im good, i finally ordered my dress!!! It took forever! The only worry is it will come in the third week of June...Wedding is 3rd week of July!! Plus, I not only need it altered, but I need it changed to fit what I want it to look like. But, a friend of mine gave me a great possible seamstress that actually works at Davids in alterations so she will not only know the dress, but she will know how to alter it which means it shouldnt take too long.

As far as shoes go, I will be looking for blingy sandals this spring/summer. They will be flats so it should be fairly easy!

Oh, and dont worry about looking at other dresses. I still want to go just to try on more dresses!! That was the best part. I may go again, to other salons, and give later wedding date info just to get my fix!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• I managed to get down to Portland on Monday and my mom was able to make a mockup of the top of my dress. I am so glad we spent the time to do the mock up because the pattern was definitely made for someone with tiny boobs, which is the opposite of what I have. She had to tweak the pattern a little to get it to fit right but now I just need to buy the real fabric and get things cut out!! It won't be put together until two weeks before the wedding. My mom works at a school so she will cut everything out over spring break then we will do a fitting and sew it all together after school gets out in June. I'm okay with that because I am hoping to lose a couple inches around the waist and she says she won't be able to alter the dress once it's all together.

Also, I was just looking at shoes today. There are a pair of shoes I've been eyeing for almost a year now. Very cute and very wedding-y. The only thing is that I'm not sure I'd wear them again after the wedding. Maybe if I dress up for something but I don't get dressed up very often, usually just holidays. I was also looking at a different pair of shoes (Converse actually, because no one will see them under the dress anyway!) that would make cute pictures I think. I would also wear them a lot more. However, they are significantly more expensive than the other pair. So, now I have to decide what to do with that.

Since my mom is making my dress for me I haven't had the whole go try on dresses experience. I kind of want to but at the same time I don't. I don't want to fall in love with a dress I can't have!
    July 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Accessories photo _7466333.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_shoes-dress-fitting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:361ba944-04a0-4aa4-a428-3329a04a8e41Post:d11f0aad-cafa-4e6c-b8d0-f36bcf81b379">Shoes & Dress Fitting!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The red is already rubbing off the bottoms and that's just from trying to break them in a little inside my house on carpetting which means I don't think I would even be able to exchange them because they look worn.  
    Posted by kerryberry13[/QUOTE]

<div>Me, too! A couple years ago, I was so excited to buy my first (and last) pair of Louboutins and after one day the red was rubbing off. I thought it was my fault for wearing them on a day where I was doing a lot of running around at one of my accounts so it's interesting to hear this from another person. I went Google-crazy trying to find someone who fixes Louboutin soles and came up with nothing but boards where other people were looking for the same thing. The best solution (and it is a stinky one) anyone came up with was a shoe repair shop that could put red rubber on the bottom. </div>
  • I am torn between two pairs of shoes. I have a really fun glittery pair, but they are reallllly high and I am afraid they'll KILL me on the day of; and I have a pair of lower pink satin heels that are pretty but definitely not as much fun. There's at least 2" difference, so I have to try and decide which pair I'm going to wear before I have my dress altered. 
  • WalkersFurMama,

Based on how my feet felt at the end of my fitting and how tired my body was from holding up the dress - go with the low heels and have the dress altered for them. BUT.... take some getting ready pictures in the beginning of the day with the sparkly ones. All the cute pics of "the bride's shoes" hanging next to the dress or whatever. Maybe a pic of you sitting down putting them on or holding up your dress and walking with them. Then, when you get in to the car to head to your ceremony, switch to the pink ones. That way you can just focus on all the important things that day. That's going to be my plan I think with my two pairs.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I am going to wear some 'cute' shoes for pics, and some super comfy ones for the wedding and reception! (no one will know what is under my dress anyway!) I have flat feet, so all heels KILL me. But oh well, I can pretend in my getting ready pics ;)
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • Yeah the red bottoms of Loubs definitely scratch up quickly!

I bought Badgley Mischka Randall heels on Amazon for the wedding day. The first pair that arrived was definitely more Champagne than the Ivory color it looks in the picture online. So I ordered the White ones which arrived yesterday (still have to send back the others too!) and they have a major scuff/scratch on one of them. I was going to try to exchange them but I almost feel like it's not worth the work lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am struggling with the whole shoe issue right now. We are getting married on the beach, but then going downtown for our reception. I have to get my dress altered because I was lucky enough to get the sample from the bridal store in PERFECT condition. I will have to take it in, and depending on the shoes shorten it. So my dilemma is this... Do I get the shoes I want/like and have the dress long on the beach or get a shorter heel/flat shoe so that the dress can be shorten if I decide to go barefoot on the beach?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_shoes-dress-fitting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:361ba944-04a0-4aa4-a428-3329a04a8e41Post:2679865d-ceb9-471f-82af-ac725d650dec">Re: Shoes & Dress Fitting!</a>:
    [QUOTE]WalkersFurMama, Based on how my feet felt at the end of my fitting and how tired my body was from holding up the dress - go with the low heels and have the dress altered for them. BUT.... take some getting ready pictures in the beginning of the day with the sparkly ones. All the cute pics of "the bride's shoes" hanging next to the dress or whatever. Maybe a pic of you sitting down putting them on or holding up your dress and walking with them. Then, when you get in to the car to head to your ceremony, switch to the pink ones. That way you can just focus on all the important things that day. That's going to be my plan I think with my two pairs.
    Posted by kerryberry13[/QUOTE]

<div>This is great advice! Thank you!! :) </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards