Wedding Etiquette Forum

What you wanted versus what you purchased: Wedding dress poll

I started dress shopping and realized that what I thought I wanted (A-line or ball gown, lace, beaded) is totally different from what I like on me (trumpet or sheath, unadorned fabrics). Was the dress you ended up purchasing similar to what you thought you wanted? Bonus points if you AW pics of your imagined and actual dress.

Re: What you wanted versus what you purchased: Wedding dress poll

• I had already "picked" one online when I went to the boutique. They were putting it on the mannequin in the front while I was trying on other dresses and I pointed and was like "THAT'S MY DRESS!"

So yes, exactly. =D
  • I'm a special snowflake.  My dress was kind of what I had in mind (lightweight, comfortable and inexpensive) but after it was all said and done, I wish I'd gone with a different dress. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-you-wanted-versus-what-you-purchased-wedding-dress-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:643c9910-035c-4fca-8af6-ef66f5970175Post:717c48b7-96d6-4cc5-aeb7-1536a6e145e9">Re: What you wanted versus what you purchased: Wedding dress poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a special snowflake.  My dress was kind of what I had in mind (lightweight, comfortable and inexpensive) but after it was all said and done, I wish I'd gone with a different dress. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

<div>I haven't seen your wedding pictures, at least I don't think I have.</div><div>
    </div><div>My dress was sort of what I imagined. I didn't think I would go with a mermaid style, but I put it on and really loved it. I had imagined something more simple, but in the end I was more than happy with my choice.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-you-wanted-versus-what-you-purchased-wedding-dress-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:643c9910-035c-4fca-8af6-ef66f5970175Post:717c48b7-96d6-4cc5-aeb7-1536a6e145e9">Re: What you wanted versus what you purchased: Wedding dress poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a special snowflake.  My dress was kind of what I had in mind (lightweight, comfortable and inexpensive) but after it was all said and done, I wish I'd gone with a different dress. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

This for me too. 
    Anniversary
  • rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    When I started out looking, I was dead set on something short and fun and twirly.  But I also wanted a corset back because I have had terrible things with dresses with zippers and my anxiety could not take getting stuck in a dress and having to be cut out of it again.  No way. But I knew that what I wanted was virtually nonexistent so I looked at some long ones too.  This is the dress (clicky) that I ended up getting.  It is everything I wanted, except it is long.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wish that I had added a little cap sleeve type thing to my dress, but other than that it was exactly what I wanted from the get-go.
  • snuff9861snuff9861 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I had picked the A-Line one shouldered Maggie Sottero desiree in white. What I eneded up with was a strapless AA corset back A-line dress in ivory that is really plain except for a touch bedazzle on the hip and top of the bodice
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    I wanted sparkly and ball gown. I think I pretty much got what I was imagining. Here it is: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=S5261 Sorry, I don't know how to do a clicky. ETA and side note: I was nervous about the ball gown because my now husband said he didn't like ball gowns. I finally decided on it and he liked it the day of. Turns out, he was afraid of ball gowns because I made him watch my big fat gypsy wedding.
  • My actual dress was so different from what I thought I wanted. I originally wanted a corset back, flowy fabric like chiffon, ruching, either A-line or mermaid. I ended up getting a light satin with a lace overlay. I thought I hated lace, but when I tried it on I loved it, and it was super comfortable. It had none of the characteristics I thought I had to have, but it just worked.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-you-wanted-versus-what-you-purchased-wedding-dress-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:643c9910-035c-4fca-8af6-ef66f5970175Post:c82735a2-f927-4c09-a51d-c183f0c783ae">Re: What you wanted versus what you purchased: Wedding dress poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had already "picked" one online when I went to the boutique. They were putting it on the mannequin in the front while I was trying on other dresses and I pointed and was like "THAT'S MY DRESS!" So yes, exactly. =D
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

<div>Love it! </div><div>
    </div><div>Girlie, pics?</div>
  • The dress I choose is what I was thinking about when I went in. A-line, lace, all that jazz. But its not the dress I fell in love with. I fell in LOVE with a dress that had a dropped waist and swiss dots. My mom talked me out of it, saying that when I look back at my picture I would regret not getting a more tradtional dress. I guess we'll see if she's right.
    Photobucket Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Nicole, your dress is one of my favorites.  If I do a do-over (ha!) I'm getting that one.  :)

• I'd been carrying around a picture of my dress for months before I actually got to try it on. I kept an open mind because my "dream dress" was a bit over budget, but I loved the dress in the picture and loved it  even more on. So I got exactly what I'd planned on getting. 

After seeing the next collection of dresses by the same designer, I started wishing I'd had more time before the wedding so I could have ordered one of those dresses. I would have gotten something similar but maybe with a different neckline. But I still love my dress. :)
  • Ha thanks Girlie :) here's my "do-over" dress:

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/FutureMrsVrtiska/Wedding%20Dresses/RSM1028.jpg

There wasn't a store in Montana that had it for me to try on at the time, but I was in love with it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-you-wanted-versus-what-you-purchased-wedding-dress-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:643c9910-035c-4fca-8af6-ef66f5970175Post:4b50d1d6-f2df-4092-8fb1-2e9a4add5a1a">Re: What you wanted versus what you purchased: Wedding dress poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love that dress Nicole.
    Posted by Beaniebeach[/QUOTE]

I almost just bought it anyway, without even trying it on, but knowing my luck, it would look terrible on me or I'd hate it once I tried it on or something. And it was a lot more than I wanted to pay for a dress. But it's still one of my favorites I've seen.
  • This is the only one I have at work that shows the whole dress. 
  • I wanted a strapless, A-line dress with no train and no lace. I ended up getting a halter style dress with a chapel train and lace trim. The only thing that was the same as I thought was that it was white and A-line.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dang, Girlie, you are hot! That's a very pretty dress too. I like the subtle touch of color the ribbon adds.
  • I always wanted a ballgown and had this one picked out because I loved the sleeves and the decoration:

And when they didn't have that gown in store (online only) I ended up choosing this one:

• Aw thanks Nicole.  The dress was meh, but I DID love my shoes.

• I never found a dress I liked in a magazine or online.  I didn't think what I wanted even existed.

I wanted a simple, no beading, no lace, no bling of any kind, strapless, corset dress with no train.  I didn't want a trumpet style either.     

I walked into one place and all they gave me to try on was everything I didn't want.   Then I walked into a store and from across the room I saw the dress and said "that's it".   It's from a little known (or at least on here) designer from Paris.  

I tried it on and it fit perfectly.  Went to a few other places to make sure.  Went back that day and got the dress.  It had a small train that I had just permanently bustled.  

Here the pictures from my fitting.   I can't seem to find the ones from the wedding.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I had no clue what I wanted in a wedding dress other than a whitey type color...my mom actually suggested the style that I ended up purchasing, though when I went out with her they were all strapless and mine's a halter...

(This was a picture for my mom, so forgive me for looking like a spaz.)
  • I wanted a mermaid or trumpet all lace gown with a corset back, and that's exactly what I got!  I tried to post pics but my actual dress pics are too big and I have no idea how to fix that :(
    Anniversary
  • I wanted THIS dress

But obviously, I ended up with something totally opposite.
  • I love dresses--you ladies are gorgeous!

I thought I wanted something like this before I got engaged:

But I ended up with:

• HockeyFan4HockeyFan4 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
     I had picked out about 5-7 different dresses online before I went shopping.  They were mostly all A-line with an empire waist ....I tried on the ones I had picked out...and was really leaning towards one of them. I asked the consultant what she thought would look good on me, and she went to get some dresses.  During that time my mom made me put back on the one I liked and I decided it was the one and I didn't try on another.

this was my dress

• It was close. I knew I wanted something that was ball gown or A-line, that had a regular tucked or an empire waist, that did not have a lot of embellishments, and that had pick-ups in the skirt.

I did get that. I also wanted straps or very short sleeves, and I ended up with strapless.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I wanted something like this dress:  http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1531

This is what I got. I don't know how well you can see the dress.

• Oh, Crash, I always love your sig because I love the skirt of your dress so much!

Beanie, thanks :)  It was so light when I wore it in the store, especially compared to some of the others I tried on, but by the end of the night I was dying and wanted it off so bad. Now it lives in my husband's trunk Embarassed
  • Nates: Why is it in your H's trunk?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards