Wedding Reception Forum

Dollar/Bridal Dance

I wanted to post this on the culture boards, but since there is no board for Eastern European customs, I figured this is the best place to go.

Is anyone else doing the traditional Polish/Slovak bridal dance (Pani Mloda/Redovy)? I'm definitely doing it- as it's our custom, and everyone where I'm from looks forward to it and has a ball with it.

Also- does anyone else know of where I can find a video of it? I went on Youtube, but every video there ends before the groom has to break through the circle. My fiance has never seen this tradition, so I'd like to give him a visual heads-up before it happens.

Re: Dollar/Bridal Dance

• I have been to weddings with it and it was fun a blast.  I have also read on the boards that most people think it is rude.

I recently read a few books and found out that it is a Polish tradition (which would explain why I have seen it at so many of my families weddings).  I have been trying to think of some fun ways to incorportate my heritage into my wedding and am now starting to reconsider the dollar dance knowing its a custom.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Don't know about a video?  Any of your family have a video from there wedding.  I plan to do one too as I have seen it at most family/friend weddings.  Can't wait form my groom to get me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Aside from my sister, no one from my Slovak side has gotten married in years (like 20), so no one seems to have a video.
    I know some people think its rude, but if its your custom, and done in the traditional way, I don't find it rude at all. And all you have to put in is $1.. Some choose to do more, but it's not like you're asking for 20's. I find it no more rude than bridal showers. I mean, if it's not part of your custom, then I don't see why you'd do it other than to make a couple extra bucks. But I'm doing it because it's a tradition, and everyone would miss doing it!
  • Plus the guests get shots!! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm doing it!  As a guest I have always enjoyed being able to dance with the bride and or groom.  I never viewed it as tacky or rude.  I kind of miss it when its not there.  Funny thing is I'm Slovak (from Cleveland) and have never seen it at a wedding until I moved to Pittsburgh.  Where I also learned about COOKIES!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollarbridal-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83c4634a-cc38-41c5-99e6-52fa134f5468Post:5eaa91bb-5d4b-45d0-acf5-6f3c924182b2">Re: Dollar/Bridal Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm doing it!  As a guest I have always enjoyed being able to dance with the bride and or groom.  I never viewed it as tacky or rude.  I kind of miss it when its not there.  Funny thing is I'm Slovak (from Cleveland) and have never seen it at a wedding <u><strong>until I moved to Pittsburgh.  Where I also learned about COOKIES!!!</strong></u>
    Posted by marhefl1[/QUOTE]

I'm practically marrying the city haha (FI and all his family bleed black and gold, born and raised)...hence we will have a dollar dance and cookies amongst our candy buffet!!!
  • I'm Slovak and have seen a few bridal dances however, everyone I know has moved away from the tradition of the groom "rescuing" the bride.  I've even been to a few where the groom also dances.  Gets people through the line a little faster. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards