Jewish Weddings

The annual movie and chinese night!

Like many Jews in America, growing up I spent my Christmas eve and Christmas day at the movies and eating chinese food. Christmas eve was spent with my camp friends and normally ended up at a diner. Christmas day was spent with my family and our temple at the movies and a local chinese place.

Fi and I are happily continuing the tradition this year but with a little bit of a twist. We decided to do something beneficial with our time and volunteer at a soup kitchen on Christmas eve. Christmas day will be spent with fi's family, our plan is to eat chinese and then go see Up in The Air (can't wait!).

Anyone else partaking in the chinese and a movie tradition?

Re: The annual movie and chinese night!

• ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll miss it this year -- we're driving up Xmas day to the high desert to see my stepsister (she's not Jewish).
    But tomorrow night it looks like take out and "A Christmas Story." Cool
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I grew up doing that on Christmas day with my family, but I can't now. Dh's family is Christian and celebrates Christmas so that's where we have to go. Ironically, I'm the one who insists we do that -- if he had his way, he'd definitely celebrate Christmas the Jewish way! (His parents are very good to us and we have a nice relationship with them; they don't ask anything of us and I really think the least we can do is celebrate their holiday with them -- Dh agrees when I explain it that way, but he makes a fuss every year. And, yeah, my in-laws DO love me Wink)  
  • jendawn80jendawn80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've ALWAYS done the movie and chinese dinner every year on Christmas day, but this year fiance and I are taking a roadtrip up to Hilton Head, SC since we don't live in the same city yet and needed a short getaway to ourselves!  Part of me was a little sad to not do the movie and chinese dinner, but we'll continue the tradition next year :-)   Ever seen the SNL skit? It's soo true! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lachlomlachlom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think myself, my boy and his sister and brother are going to see a movie early in the AM, but Shabbat starts pretty early, so :)
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We may go skiing tomorrow depending on the weather and my motivation. 

I do enjoy the movie and chinese, though I'm not sure if we'll definitely do it or not, we'll probably play it by ear and see what my parents and brother would like to do.

My most favorite December 25th of all time was when I was in Israel and it was just like any other day, with the addition of Hanukkah music in the mall and delicious sufganiyot being sold everywhere, that was so pleasant :)

Also, I just wanted to add for anyone who may find it interesting - my husband has a large family (3 sisters) and instead of buying gifts for everyone this year for Hanukkah my SIL decided we should do "mysterious maccabee" (a play off of secret santa), and it was a hit!  It will definitely be something we do in the future :)

Enjoy the movie and chinese everyone Laughing
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It was never a tradition for my family while I was growing up, but we're doing Chinese/movie tonight! Our tradition is that on Christmas day we have 'Rickmas' to celebrate a friend's birthday with a bunch of Jewish families.
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Absloutely doing this tradition tomorrow night!  Going to a nearby Chinese buffet and then seeing Avatar in 3D.
  • edited December 2011
    I used to do movies and Chinese but since we haven't yet found good Chinese in Israel, DH and I went to Jerusalem today.  It was so much fun going to the Kotel together.  Tonight we will be celebrating Shabbat, his birthday and his saba's birthday over family dinner :)  
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did Indian food rather than Chinese.  We're just such iconoclasts!
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family didn't do the chinese food part but we always went to a movie... but when I moved to NYC I would always go for vegetarian dim sum...This year dh's congregation had a chinese food Shabbat dinner on Friday, hopefully this week we'll get to a movie (Avatar or Up in the air)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards