Iowa-Des Moines

Who is your photographer?

I haven't booked a photographer yet and instead of googling and researching, I thought I'd see who other brides were using in the Des Moines area!
I want to use Amanda Basteen, but her prices are high, or at least I think they are high; I haven't priced other photographers.
I want amazing pictures and am willing to splurge a little on that aspect, but I just don't know who is the best!
(My entire wedding budget is around 17,000; Amanda Basteen's packages start at 3550)

Re: Who is your photographer?

• McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have narrowed it down to 2 photographers and can't decide ...

We really like Doug Mcbride (dougmcbride.com), and we also like Moonwell Photo (moonsphoto.com)  both of their packages are very reasonable but they have very different styles!!

Tough decisions!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I had Anna Moser booked before we postponed. www.annamoserphotography.com. Her smallest package was under $1000.
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    edited December 2011
    We're using Anna Moser as well. I have seen a lot of brides use, Nunzum Photography.

Here is a link,

http://www.nuzumphoto.com/index2.html
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Kerri Photography
    http://www.kerriphotography.com/

Jennifer Waters Photography
    http://jenniferwatersphotography.blogspot.com/

Vision Photography (Cedar Falls, Iowa)
    www.visionphotoart.com
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited December 2011
    the Nuzums are actually my "in-laws" (If I can say that already!!!)  We would use them except we want them actually AT the wedding!  They are very popular and very good :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Amy Allen Photography.  

A friend of mine is getting married in July 2011 in Des Moines & she's using Gorman House Photography, but I believe their lowest package available is $2000, based on their website.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Carisa Keeling of Carisa Keeling Photograpy in Ames. She's not a full-time photographer, so her rates are a bit cheaper than most. She also lets you build your own packages which we really liked. I hate being told what I have to buy. We get her for 7 hours, an album (don't remember which style or how many prints off top of my head--she had 3 or 4 album styles to choose from), 2 photographers, a cd of all our photos and a complimentary engagement session all for just under $2000. She's great to work with and open to ideas you have. You have to be patient with her when it comes to her getting back to you though, like I said before, this isn't her primary job and she has two children under 3. I have no complaints yet, but we've only done the engagement pics part of it.

Good luck finding someone who works for you!
    image 31 Total invites!
    image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    mandmphotosonline.com

Very reasonably priced and easy to work with. He's done our engagement pictures and I loved them, but haven't had the wedding yet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am using jennifer waters photography and really excited about it. She hasn't done any weddings yet, just a reshoot but has many before my wedding in October and has been taking baby, family, and engagement photos for a long time. She is only going to be $650 for all day and an engagement session included. She doesn't do albums but includes all pictures on a cd that she retouches. She may have raised prices but check her out at jenniferwatersblogspot. i am meeting with her in a couple weeks.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Teresa with Wiz of Oz Photography.  She is amazing!  Her website is www.wizofozphotography.com.  She is out of the Quad Cities but travels because we're getting married in Iowa City.  We were thrilled with our engagement photos.
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Carisa Keeling also does boudoir photos if anyone is interested....I believe it's under a different company name, but she links to it from her website. I'm thinking about using her for them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We used Life Art Photographs for our wedding and they were amazing!  Joey and Laura were so wonderful to work with and the pictures we got are something I will cherish forever!  Their style is unique and they capture each moment as its happening which make them so much more real!  They are somewhere in the middle as far as prices go but worth it 100%  Their website is www.lifeartphotographs.com

• edited December 2011
    Melissa1445-Thanks for the heads up! I checked out Life Art Photographs - I like her work so far!! I will definitely keep her in mind! (And at least her starting price is pretty good)
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Red Door Photo and Design. I met with Doug McBride and loved his pictures, but didn't really love his prices. After meeting with Paul and Tammy at Red Door, I knew they were who i wanted to go with. They are fun, relaxed, and take amazing pictures. I am paying $1600 and for that I get the following:
    *9hrs of coverage
    *2 photographers (Tammy takes candids and other perspective shots during ceremony)
    *Engagement session (pics already back--look GREAT!!)
    *CD with full copyright to all images, wedding and engagement
    *10x10 leather bound album

I think that's all....anyways, they're awesome and I'm super excited for them to do the wedding. Check them out!!
  • srteacher75srteacher75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Blind Photography.  They are awesome.  It's a mother-daughter team and they are so fun and do great work.  Plus, you get two photographers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards