Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Yellowstone National Park

my fiance and I are road tripping from chicago suburbs to yellowstone. we will be stopping in sioux falls, mount rushmore area, grand tetons, and mall of america on the way home. we will be camping, we love hiking, bring outdoors, and basically anything rustic. any good suggestions of places to see, things to do, or.places to eat that people know of?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Yellowstone National Park

• Options
    Make sure you see the Yellowstone Canyon and Lake Yellowstone!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    http://forums.yellowstone.net/ Best resource I've found to date.

If you like hiking and cool outdoors stuff, I'd add stopping in the Rapid City area (you can stay there for Mt. Rushmore, Mt. Rushmore is about an hour away, and it's a gorgeous drive) to check out the Black Hills area (Custer State Park is a must do, if you stop), and at the very least driving through Badlands National Park near Wall.  Personally, I think they're worthy of their own trip if you haven't already, but at least a drive through will be very much worth it.  If you want more info, I've got tons of recs for the area.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Yellowstone is one of the best vacation's we've ever done. We stayed inTeton village,  Jackson Hole, Wy. Literally 1 mile from the enterance to Teton National Park.  About 100 dollars a night for a studio room with full kitchen and balcony. We made our own food for the day to save money and we would leave the hotel at about 9am and not get back till 8 at night. ALOT of driving.The hotel had a 25 person spa on the roof so at night it was pretty amazing.

We went end of May so not very busy,  I preffered Teton to Yellowstone. Every animal we saw was in Teton. Since we went end of May all the animals had babies. Baby bears(black and grizzly), owl babies, moose babies, bison babies. Its pretty amazing to see. Whenever we saw someone pulled over we would pull behind, chances are they've spotted something.
    When you go on trails make sure u put a bell or some sort of noise maker on your belt or backpack so the animals hear you, and pay attention. I ran into a moose about 10 feet away, not paying attention and almost pooped my pants.  They also sell bear spray. I was bear paranoid the whole time.
    One thing I would of done diff was to rent a v-6 suv. Going up and down those mountains in a tiny car was not fun for me. Also pay attention to the weather. one day its 70 and sunny the next it was 24 and snowing. Best vacation so far hands down.
  • Options
    We went to Yellowstone in September, sooo beautiful.  We just did 4 nights so we spent each night in a different camp ground.  The only one we stayed at that had showers was the one down by the lake, I'm blanking on the name right now though. Definitely check out the Old Faithful Inn, it's abosolutely gorgeous and that fireplace is sooo beautiful.  We also traveled south through Tetons on our way home.  Their visitor's center is beautiful.  Also check out their man lodge, it's has the beauiful picture window at the back with a grand view of the meadows and mountains.  There is an overlook for that famous Ansel Adams picture by Snake River.  It's not exactly the spot but pretty close.  Best time for that though is in the morning, the light isn't right for it in the afternoon.  We also stayed at this campground south of the park that was close to Mormon Row, I think it's called where that gorgeous famous barn is that photographers always shoot in front of the Tetons.  It was one of those bucket list things of mine to find that barn.  One of the campsite hosts told us how to get there and we did sunrise at the barn, us and 10 of our closest friends! it's a popular place but I still got some beautiful photos and was excited to see it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards