Snarky Brides

Education Poll

The college thread on Chit Chat got me wondering...

What type of college/university did/do you attend?

What was/is your degree in?

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree?

Do you have student loans?

Would you change anything if you had a do-over?

If you didn't attend college, do you wish you had? And what would you study?

Re: Education Poll

• What type of college/university did/do you attend?
    Small, Private 4 year. 
    Physics
    Sort of.  I work in electronics/computers.  So it is close. 
    Nope.  Scholarships and lots of jobs while going to school.
    I probably would have gotten my teaching certificate too. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • 1- 4yr private, free tuition scholarship
    2- BBA in Accounting (150hrs)
    3- Yes
    4- Not anymore, but I did
    5- I would have done Kinesiology instead. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    What type of college/university did/do you attend? a large state university

What was/is your degree in? agricultural education and communication with a special emphasis in communication and leadership development (yeah, say that major five times fast!)

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? I currently work in the department I graduated from.

Do you have student loans? Yes ugh, but not much.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? The only change I would make would be being more involved in the department club.  I was in my university's marching band and it basically consumed my life during football season.  So, between that and my sorority, there wasn't much time for other extra curricular activities
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • What type of college/university did/do you attend? I went to a private Catholic university for my undergrad, and I'm at a state school for my graduate studies.

What was/is your degree in? B.A. in English/Journalism, M.A. in History.

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? Not really.  I'm a secretary, although I do use the skills I learned in journalism school for my job.

Do you have student loans? Yup.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over?  I would have gone for my teaching degree in undergrad, in History.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Only one question applies to me. 

Yes, I wish I had gone to college.  18 year old me would have gone for a degree in education.  As an adult, a degree in finance would help me tremendously at my current employer. 
  • What type of college/university did/do you attend? State University of NY (SUNY)

What was/is your degree in? Psychology with a minor in Public Relations

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? No - though like Duds I use what I learned in my job. I'm an event planner so it sort of relates to PR

Do you have student loans? I don't which I'm thankful. Although H has a crap-ton so that's a bummer.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? Honestly I had the best possible college experience. I absolutely loved it and feel like I got the most out of it. I always refer to my school as "The Happiest Place On Earth" - I guess the only thing I'd change related to education would be that I'd try to go to grad school sooner. It wouldn't have really worked because I didn't know I wanted to when I graduated and I got a great job that allowed me to support H while he did grad school. Plus I had a great career in the non-profit world- BUT now I'd like to be a school counselor and it would be nice to have grad school already out of the way :-)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_education-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5485a4ed-3835-44a2-90fc-a0c5b94b2ccbPost:2be6d87d-ca01-49b8-b630-b4537bff86cf">Education Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>What type of college/university did/do you attend? </strong>public-in-state. Illinois State University (undergrad); public-in-state, Governors State University  (graduate)
    <strong>
    </strong>Bachelors of Science in Sociology
    Masters of Arts in Counseling (School Counseling)

<strong>Do you currently work in the same field as your degree?
    </strong>Yes, post-secondary school counselor in a H.S.

<strong> Do you have student loans?
    </strong>yes, for my graduate degree

<strong>Would you change anything if you had a do-over?
    </strong>I would have majored in education in my undergrad and taught before becoming a counselor.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• What type of college/university did/do you attend? Private liberal arts college

What was/is your degree in? Elementary Education with Math and Music minors

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? I did for about 4 years, but not even close now.

Do you have student loans? Nope.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? Maybe take a few classes that were outside my degree - like different sciences. It would have meant at least another semester though. 
    I took courses on base through City University when I was stationed in Seattle. I am not currently attending school right now, but it's one of my goals for the next year.

I haven't gotten one yet.

No, I'd like to be an educator. I'm interested mainly in English Literature or Art History.

Nope. All of my education is paid through Tuition Assistance right now. I also have the Montgomery G.I. Bill, but I need to convert it to the Post 9-11 G.I. Bill soon.

There are times where I wish I hadn't joined the military at 17 and had gone to college with the rest of my friends from HS, but I was so young that I needed something to set me straight. I know me, and if I had had an early morning lecture back then, I most likely would have chosen to sleep through it.

If you didn't attend college, do you wish you had? Yes, sort of (see above). And what would you study? See above.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
    Public university

BA and MA in English, minor in classic civilizations

Yes

No

Probably not. While my degree isn't necessarily the smartest in terms of job options, there's nothing else I'd rather do. In terms of the "college experience," no. I'm perfectly happy not having been part of the student life aspect of it.
  • Mbody you're a counselor? How do you like it? I'm going to have to talk to you once I actually get to grad school. That's my long term career plan :-)
    Photobucket
    A small liberal arts private college

I have a BA in Economics and Political Science and a concentration in Philosophy.

Pretty close to one of them.  It's not what I though I would be doing, or what I planned on when I chose my majors, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Absolutely I do.

No, because I don't like to think that way.  I'm grateful for the experience I had and the education I recieved and wouldn't be where I am now if I changed it.  It all works the way it does for a reason.
  • I didnt attend a college. I kick myself for not taking my father up on the offer years ago. But, it is what it is.

I did take a few classes through unemployment a few years ago when I was laid-off. They offered a program and I took advantage of it. I was going to go for a medical data processor. But after my summer classes were over, DH and I decided I would move up here. So, I moved and got a job.

I do use the knowledge I got from those classes in the job I do now though. So it worked out.

I'm in Canada so we don't really have "types" of colleges/universities. I went to my local unviersity because it has a good repuataiton for the program I was in

Started in Honours Bachelor of Music. Finished with Bachelor of Arts

A BA is pretty generic, so I guess

Yes.

I would have waited a year after highschool before going to unviersity so I could have figured out what I really wanted to do and not wasted time.
    Anniversary

• What type of college/university did/do you attend?  A VERY large public in-state university

What was/is your degree in?  Real Estate Development

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree?  not even close, the real estate market is still completely tanked here so there is zero development going on.

Do you have student loans?  Yes, but not too bad compared to other people.  I had a good scholarship all 4 years that covered about 80% of my costs.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over?  Not really.  Of course I wish the economy hadn't crashed just before I graduated, but that's nothing that could be fixed with a do-over.

Anniversary
    I went to a very small, private liberal arts college.

My majors were sociology and history. I did some graduate level work in applied sociology. 

Basically. I work in medical research and the MA program I was in was research focused. I'd still like to go back to social research at some point.

Yes, but they're managable. Most of my tuition was paid for by scholarships. 

I would finish my masters program. I am currently working on a graduate level certificate through the university I work for but I am not sure that it will count for much. 

• The college thread on Chit Chat got me wondering...

What type of college/university did/do you attend? I started at a large university then came home and took some courses at a community college and finished up at PSU.

What was/is your degree in? BS in Psych

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? yep!

Do you have student loans? No but H does that we're paying off

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? I wouldn't have followed my then BF to the large university.  I wasted my parents $.

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • What type of college/university did/do you attend? Public 4 year university in MA (MA was out of state for me then)

What was/is your degree in? Animal Science/Pre-veterinary medicine

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? Sort of, I did an independent study in a lab during my undergrad for the Animal Science Department... now I work in a lab.  Science is science I guess.

Do you have student loans? Yes :(

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? Yes,  I would do nursing or pre-med.  

• What type of college/university did/do you attend? 4 year public in-state university

What was/is your degree in? Elementary Education with a Math Minor

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? No where close

Do you have student loans? Yes.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? Not really. Teaching is what I want to do with my life. I've thought about going back to obtain an extension in middle grades math but I wouldn't change my experience.
  • The college thread on Chit Chat got me wondering...

What type of college/university did/do you attend?
    I originally went to a community college, then Beauty School, now I'm in Univ. of Pheonix online.

I will earn my Assoc. of Business whatchamacallit in February.

Kind of, I'm not sure yet what I can do with my degree when I'm done with school

Oh yeah

I would have finished years ago when I was in the community college. I woudn't have had to pay anything because grants covered everyrthing at that time. Now I'm $30,000 or so in. I would probably done something more interesting like archeology, anthropology,  forensics, or psychology.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    A state college in NY (SUNY)

Dual BS in Psychology and Sociology

No, but I use a lot of my psych and soc background at work.

Yes, but not as much as if I had chosen the private school I was contemplating going to.

I think I would have majored in sociology with a minor or dual major in business.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Large public state university for my bachelors and now I'm getting a certificate in paralegal studies from an online program.

Bachelors in Journalism

Haha, no, and I never really have

No

I probably would have been an English major instead. I chose journalism because I thought there would be more job prospects but there really aren't. I think I would have enjoyed being an English major a lot more. And I would have picked a single room my freshman year on campus because my roommate situation was not good, haha.
  • Since I'm one of the ones that slammed her on that board....

What type of college/university did/do you attend? - I went to a 4 year university

What was/is your degree in? My degree is in Criminal Justice

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? No, not currently.  When I got out of school, I was close to reaching the maximum age limit for a lot of law enforcement entities and didn't want to pursue it locally.  I have found a way that I will use my degree for my own company though and am working on getting that started with another friend who has the same degree.

Do you have student loans?  Absolutely and I'm okay with it.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over?  I would have finished going straight out of high school.  Working full time, taking care of a house, etc while trying to get your degree is very hard, but still worth it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Private 4 year liberal arts for undergrad, Private for grad

BA in Psychology, BA in Sociology
    MA in Clinical Psychology, emphasis in counseling

Unfortunately not...the market in Chicago is pretty oversaturated.

Yes

Maybe consider going to an in state school and dual majoring in education.
    Anniversary
  • What type of college/university did/do you attend?  I attended a Liberal Arts University that is known for being a great school for education majors. 

What was/is your degree in?  This past May I received my B.S. in Elementary Education with a Language Arts concentration.  I am certified to teach Kindergarten through 8th grade.  I plan to go back for my Masters degree within the next few years.

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? Yes :)

Do you have student loans?  Unfortunately.  It could be worse though.  I worked a lot in high school and between money I had saved up and scholarships, I was able to pay for my first year of college up front without taking out any loans. 

Would you change anything if you had a do-over?  I would have been crazier instead of focusing so much energy on working two jobs, school, and playing a college sport.  It all went by too fast!
  • What type of college/university did/do you attend? State University for Bachelor's, another State University for Masters.

What was/is your degree in? BFA in Printmaking, Teacher Licensure, Masters in K-12 Instructional Technology

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? Yup. Teaching Art

Do you have student loans? Yup. Not a ton, mostly from my masters where I JUST started repayment.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? No, actually.  I think about going for my MFA, but I am glad I went for a MA in Ed first. I really liked my program and not putting of getting my masters.  I can always quit teaching and go for an MFA ....someday.

• What type of college/university did/do you attend? Private & Community

What was/is your degree in? Didnt graduate

Do you currently work in the same field as your degree? No degree-  I'm currently a paralegal

Do you have student loans? No

Would you change anything if you had a do-over? Unsure. I really dont feel like college was for me, but at times I wish I had taken out loans and gone to a bigger school, had the whole experience.

If you didn't attend college, do you wish you had? And what would you study? See above. Hard to say since I got lucky and ended up with a good job that I like anyway.
    Undergrad:  Private 4 year university
    Law School:  Catholic private university

Undergrad:  Double BA, one in Psych and one in Justice
    Working toward my JD currently

Well.  I deal with psychos and criminals, but not in the capacity that most do with my degree.

Ugh, YES.  Lots.

Yep.  I loved my undergrad university and would not change that, and my job now is awesome, but I wish I had gone to a different law school, probably out of state and a higher tier, and gone full time.  As of now, I'm an evening student while I work full time, so the program takes 4 years instead of 3.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_education-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5485a4ed-3835-44a2-90fc-a0c5b94b2ccbPost:4e53cafc-d8ce-4a25-9c46-c03539182059">Re: Education Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mbody you're a counselor? How do you like it? I'm going to have to talk to you once I actually get to grad school. That's my long term career plan :-)
    Posted by pixiedust84[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I am and I love it. My focus with students is post-secondary planning which is fun. I help with college planning/admissions (4 year or 2 year, military), career exploration, financial aid/scholarships, ect.

In my area, there are a ton of school counselors and jobs are extremely competitive. However, at one time they were high need, so the pendulum swings both ways. In my experience, it's the best to become a teacher first (not because I think they will do a better job at counseling- sometimes I even think the opposite) BUT a lot of teachers go back for their school counseling degree. So, when a school counseling job opens, teachers are interviewed as internal candidates in their school and often have a leg up on someone from the outside. I felt like I was already fighting an upward battle because there are so many candidates for jobs PLUS the fact that I wasn't "internal" anywhere. Not that this would be the situation elsewhere.

Good Luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• What type of college/university did/do you attend? A smallish, public university

Major in biology, emphasis in pre-med, minors in chemistry and physical science

Sort of.  I work as a phlebotomist in a lab in a hospital.  It's in the medical field, but my degree is kind of useless without some type of grad school.  I am planning on going to medical school.

Do you have student loans?  No, I had scholarships that covered all of my tuition and books.  I was lucky that my parents wanted to help with school so they covered my rent/car insurance/gas and I worked part time to pay for any other living expenses and pocket money.  H has student loans, and I will have massive ones once I get to medical school though.

Would you change anything if you had a do-over?  I probably would have tried to get the job I have now while I was still in school, but I found a really nice job that had flexible hours and allowed me to study while there, so it's hard to say which would have been better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards