Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Booking a Caterer without Tasting!

Ok, I'm having a little anxiety about this and am not sure how to handle it.  First off, I'm a self-admitted foodie/food snob.  I want the food at the wedding to be fabulous so we are going with a venue that lets us bring in our own caterer.  I'm finding that most the the caterers will not do a tasting until a contract has been signed and a deposit placed.  How can I possibly know the caterers standards/how they treat their food without tasting it first?

I'm looking at a couple places that are also restaurants that do catering so that's not a problem.  My issue is committing a huge chunk of my wedding $$ to an un-tasted caterer?  Also, I'm planning this wedding from across the country so I'm not familiar with the caterers in the area (who's good/reliable and who isn't).

Any suggestions?  Anyone else feel like it's crazy to fork over all this money without knowing what the food will taste/look like?

Re: Booking a Caterer without Tasting!

• Keep looking.  I didn't have one caterer ask for a dime before tastings much less insist on a contract.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • If food is important to you, do a tasting before a contract. Offer to pay for it.

Food's not important to us, and we're preparing to hire a caterer without a tasting, based upon the caterer's references. Our second choice did an open-house, group tasting. So there's no norm.

One bakery had a cake tasting fee advertised. They didn't actually charge us, though. I think that's a good policy - If you say there's a fee, you won't get people booking tastings just for free cake, but if you don't charge it, you get goodwill.
  • I had to book my caterer (came with the venue) before we would be allowed a tasting.  I went off the recommendations of the other local brides on the local board and the place's reputation in general.

I am a foodie too. It made me nervous too.  But luckily I was able to get a good feel for the caterer's reputation from other local brides.    

I'd check out your local board.
  • I did... but I'm catering from a local bbq place that we had eaten at before. Have you searched for reviews on WeddingWire?
  • Check to see if the caterer does wedding events.  Sometimes the caterers provide food during these events.  We booked our caterer before we did a tasting.  We figured since they were responsible for catering several Food Network events in NYC that we would be more than fine.  Good luck!
  • My caterer does the same thing, tasting comes after contract is signed and deposit is in.  However, I am lucky that friends used this same caterer at their wedding and I was able to see just how great the food was.  If I hadn't been to a wedding that the caterer had done I might be a little nervous.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Yeah, I'm running into that problem too. I had one caterer tell me no tasting without a contract, one who gave me tasting outright, and one who said that I was free to taste the food on any day they'd be prepping food anyway just so they don't have to come in to cook on days when they don't have events planned.

We're going to be basing our decision mostly on cost sadly, but there is something to be said for a caterer who is willing to prove their work before making you commit.
  • Thanks ladies!  I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem.  It seems crazy that there isnt more of an "industry standard."  This one catering company looks very promising and I'd hate to pass them up if they are awesome, but I'm so nervous to not have a tasting first!  I'll poke around on the local boards and see if there are any reviews.  Maybe offering to pay for it or swing by on a day they are already prepping something will work!
  • I missed a tasting last week...but basically they do group tasting events. Last week it was from 1-5 by appointment but you could show up anytime within that time frame, no obligations to book with them. I am going to see if they are doing another one just to see what their food is like.

The caterer I am seeing this Saturday, well, not sure what their policies are. I will find out but I don't feel comfortable booking  someone without a tasting. However, some places here (with all inclusive wedding paskages) will schedule a tasting after you sign their contract and pick the menu.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards