South Carolina

Charleston, SC reception site

Hi - we are looking for a medium to large size venue for June 2012 wedding.  Would prefer in-town (historic Charleston), 150 capacity, venue that is able to handle food prep.  As this is destination wedding for almost all but the bride and groom, would prefer charming hotel site with inside/outside capability. Have looked at some online venues, but many require so much outside contracting, and have lots of limitations on dancing/music because of historic precautions.  Also, would prefer venue that has at least one room for all 150 participants - not broken u into many small rooms.  Any ideas on hotels or large restaurant sites that have on-site catering, charm, maybe even a water view for a tradiation, relatively formal reception?  Yes, I am looking diligently online, but there is nothing like first hand experience.  Travelling to SC soon and would like to have as much research beforehand as possible! Thanks in advance!

Re: Charleston, SC reception site

• brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Come on over the SC-Charleston board - you'll be able to get tons more feedback. 

You are somewhat limited in venues downtown that have full service catering.

Off hand, I would suggest contacting The Mills House hotel - extremely historic property - beautiful event rooms, gorgeous garden and incredible wrought iron railings covering the front of the building.

OR Charleston Place Hotel - an Orient Express Hotel - incredible sweeping staircase with a HUGE crystal chandelier in the lobby - great for pics. I believe they still own the Riviera Theater across the street. Its an art deco theater that has been completely renovated for events - has a wonderful outdoor balcony over the marquee with a great view of historic King Street.

OR The Charleston Marriot - overlooks the Ashley River - completely renovated in 2006 or so - the Opal Ballroom is the smallest - holds up to 200 people. And the AAA Riverdogs baseball stadium is right down the street.

OR Francis Marion hotel - overlooks Marion Square park right in downtown opened in 1924.Gorgeous ballrooms with 20' ceilings, marble fireplaces - and great pic opps across the street in the park.

Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • megummegum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks.  I will switch over to Charleston board.  Just new on this site.
    Mills House is booked for our date...Charleston Place is a contender - actually considering the Palmetto Cafe (in the hotel), as we want the charm but perhaps not quite the formality.  They would allow use of the entire restaurant and adjoining patio w/ fountain, etc, which might be a nice combination.
    What if anything do you know about Anson Restaurant for a reception?  I'm told they can handle a crowd this large (150) but am having trouble finding feedback on those who may have had a reception there.
    Wasn't wild about the Marion House, as cocktails would be in main lobby and that is a little too public. Will check out the Marriott.
    I so appreciate your help.  This destination wedding stuff is tricky!
  • acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Boone Hall Plantation is great.  There are several options on site that offer a "low country feel". 

Magnolia Plantation too...

Christa Harder Photography is a good photographer, if you need one.  www.christaharder.com
  • edited December 2011
    A co-worker of mine's daughter had the ceremony at St. Micheal's chapel, then the reception was at the Embassy Suites hotel on Marion square.  Really just across the street.  The Embassy Suites Hotel is actually the old Citadel building.
  • palaungirlpalaungirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Doubletree Hotel off of Market and Church Street. The cocktail hour is held in the tented courtyard and the ballroom is beautiful and can hold up to 175...I believe. I'm able to decorate the tent with lanterns and it is going to look beautiful. I researched every single place mentioned in this post. I loved Mills House and Charleston Place. However, Doubletree was more in our budget and I couldn't be happier. The wedding coordinator Kate is the Best. Also, onsite catering and no music/dancing restrictions. My friend is having her wedding at Embassy 3 weeks after mine, and she is pretty happy with them as well. Don't forget to look up their reviews on wedding bee, etc. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards