Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

"Contemporary" Christian music vs. "Traditional" Christian music

My fiance and I are getting married next fall, so we have a while to talk about this, but we're both aggrevated about the other's unwillingness to compromise at the moment, and I thought I might enlist the help of some knotties.

FI practices Pentecostal Christianity (Assemblies of God) while I practice Protestant Christianity (Presbyterian).  We are having our ceremony in HIS church performed by MY pastor.  His church would prefer that we use religious music for our processional and recessional, as well as any music in the actual ceremony; I understand this, and the reasoning, and am perfectly okay with that.

The problem lies in the fact that his family, and his "version" of our religion, prefer to use contemporary Christian music, while my family sticks to traditional (read:hymnals).  My family would be extremely uncomfortable singing the contemporary songs off of a projection screen, and he says his family would feel the same of using traditional songs with hymnals.  I suggested rerouting the whole issue by just using instramental versions of any songs, and not having songs in the ceremony, but he is not okay with that. 

Is there any way to make this work?  I'm at my wits end, and so is he.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: "Contemporary" Christian music vs. "Traditional" Christian music

• How many songs do you have to pick? Split the difference, and each of you can pick half the songs.

Ask the music director to help you out, too. Maybe (s)he knows of some good compromises.
  • Some contemporary artists do covers of hymns, that could be a compromise. I think just doing instrumentals would be best so I would still discuss that with him. Honestly I don't see why singing a contemporary song vs. hymn or the other way around would make someone uncomfortable. Why not talk to your families. They probably don't even care.

• I hate singing off of projector screens. Give me a hymnal any day.
  • I would say either use instrumentals, or split it half and half. No one would be singing during the processional and recessional, would they? I've personally never seen that done, which is why I ask. As far as during the ceremony, maybe you should both pick a song that you would like done. One contemporary, and one hymn.

And to bypass the hymnal/projector screen problem all together, print the lyrics into your program so people who want to can read/sing along if they choose to. They did this as my FI's cousin wedding, and it worked out well. They chose one traditional hymn, and one contemporary song.

HTH and good luck!
  • You helped a lot!  THank you all so much - I think I'm just going to tell him for processional/recessional we can compromise on what songs we pick (split them half/half) but that they must be instrumental (because no one will be singing then ANYWAY), and then maybe pick a contemporary update to a hymn for the ceremony.  And the printing the words in the program/bulletin?  Brilliant! 

Thanks again, you just saved me from a year and a half of arguing about this!!

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I have discussed this as well!

In the end we are picking 2 hymns, as it will work better with our ceremony musician. I believe we're going to sing "All creatures of our God and King" and "For the beauty of the earth". Both are very easy melodies.

I agree with PP about finding a hymn that has been recently popularized by a contemporary Christian band. Also, if you do chose some hymns, they don't have to be played with an organ or piano, which may feel antiquated to his family.
  • Maybe you could also print the music in the program as well as the lyrics. This way, the people that don't know the tune by heart can sing and not feel awkward.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards