Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

A Piece O' Cake in Okemos, MI

I just got married in October in East Lansing, MI. A Piece O' Cake came VERY highly recommended to me so I went with them. The tasting session was amazing. They were very accomodating.. I paid for and helped design the idea for my cake. A gold fondant cake with leaf imprints and small flowers .. but simple. On the day of my wedding however, I recieved a WHITE cake with Red polk-a-dots on it. When I called after my wedding to inform them of this error, I got nothing but attitude on the other line. This was very discouraging seeing I was so excited about going with this company and them being SO wrong. I thought there would be no argument, simply an apology. I paid $1000 for my cake, that I now could buy no pictures of becuase it clashed so badly with the rest of my wedding. I told the woman that I was simply calling for business feedback purposes and I didnt expect them to turn back time and re do something that could never be redone. She insisted multiple times that I come in to the shop and look at HER pictures. After doing so, the cake was STILL white and STILL had red on it!! I was so appauled at how unprofessional she was that I told her I was done with the situation and I was leaving. As I was walking out of the door, she sarcastically said "Well I was going to offer your money but I see that nothing will make you happy." I turned around and said I will happily take a refund. After leaving and waiting for an email response on how much she was going to return to me, She decided $120 was enough. I said fine and gave her my address to send the check. A month later, I have yet to recieve it and when I called back to let her know, I once again recieved nothing but arguments and attitude. I would say to ALL THE BRIDES OUT THERE, save the headache and go somewhere else. I cant believe anyone can run a business with that sort of attitude. I think I was more hurt than angry becuase I had expected so much more! So, save the headache girls! Your already working to hard!!! Good luck to all!!!

Re: A Piece O' Cake in Okemos, MI

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    2 things:  first, this is the international board.  You need to post this on the Lansing Board.  I'm a Lansing MOB.I'm so sorry things went to badly for you.  My DD chose them to make a small cake for her wedding in May and they were spot on with her "vision" even though she had nothing to show them.  Our experience was very good with them.I can certainly understand why you aren't happy though and I'm so sorry your cake was all wrong.  They are probably the priciest bakery around so you expect excellent service.
  • Options
    AngelaOct11AngelaOct11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A Piece O Cake did our wedding cake.  We took in an inspiration picture of the cake we liked.  We talked with her about the design and she drew up a picture of what we had talked about.  Our cake was fabulous.  It was better than I had imagined it would be.  It also tasted great.  I am sorry you had a bad experience but I don't want other brides to stay away from them just because of a bad experience.  There are good ones out there too :-)
  • Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My DD hasn't picked a baker yet for her East Lansing wedding, so I find this information very useful.  Based on these posts and a prevous review from another knottie I have come to the following conclusions about Piece O'Cake:

1.  Their cakes are delicious.

2.  They are more expensive than other bakers in the area.

3.  When they make a mistake, they don't admit it and blame the customer for the error.

Based on this, I'm thinking we will look elsewhere.  #3 is the main reason.  I want the best for my DD, but in my opinion if a vendor makes a mistake and admits it I can accept it, because we are all human.  However, if you won't admit it and try to blame the customer, then I think I I'll take my business elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards