Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

blocking out rooms?

What is the tradition?
Am I supposed to include them in my budget?
Do I talk to hotel and get a discounted price and guests pay?
I've heard it both ways. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: blocking out rooms?

• Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    There isn't really a tradition; that is, you aren't required to reserve rooms, though it is courteous. The most common way to handle blocks of rooms that I know of (and also what we did) is to reserve a block, and denote in an invitation insert that there is a block of rooms available at a discounted rate at such-and-such hotel. This gives guests the option to stay there, or to find their own lodging if they so choose. You are not at all required to pay for OOTers hotel stays.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    Traditionally, very few people traveled for weddings, and those that did were hosted by local family.  

Generally, people call a few hotels in the area and block off some rooms, sometimes at a discounted price.  You give your guests the hotel information.  If they book that hotel, cool.  If they go somewhere else, that's cool too.  

Unless you are planning to spend a ton of money or have very few out of town guests, it would be impractical to cover everyone's hotel.  If you have the funds, it's a nice gesture to do so for your WP.
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much, I'll call tomorrow. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just be careful with the room block.  If your guests don't use all of the rooms the hotel might charge you a fee because they lost out on bookings because they held them for you.  One hotel I talked to will do a discount if you ask but it's not a block.  If they run out of space then so be it, but you aren't stuck with any fees...and the rooms may not be together. 

Make sure you get all the details. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards