April 2013 Weddings

DIY projects

Hi everyone--
I just wanted to see what everyone is planning on "tackling" for any DIY projects. I often run through my list and get overwhelmed! Everyone keeps on telling me to get started now so I don't get overwhelmed, which is probably right and a good idea since we are still a lil over a year out, but that year mark is slowly creaping up on us!
So far on my list--
Burlap table runners
Table numbers (i have already played around)
Save the dates (one of my bms dad is a graphic designer--but they will require some assembling)
Invites
Candy buffet (pricing out and purchasing candy, decorating and labeling the candy containers etc)
mason jars (decorating them of some sort for centerpieces to tie in our rustic chic theme)
personalized hangers and wine glasses for bm's

I think that is it right now-- but so many ideas always pop into my head!
148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
RSVP Deadline: March 8
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: DIY projects

• So far I think I'm just making my bridesmaid jewelry.  I'm not very good at making much else because I have a tendency to get frustrated.  I keep feeling like we need to start getting things together because April 2013 is very quickly approaching.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I don't have specifics yet, but I do know a large portion of things will be DIY. I have so many ideas, but I definitley need to start narrowing it down. I can't believe the one year mark is soon!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok, lets see if I can remember all my DIY projects:

Save the Dates
    Table Numbers
    Centerpieces
    Votive holders
    Bridesmaids Hangers
    Aisle Runner
    Programs
    Dyed crinoline for under my dress
    Aisle Decorations-Pom Poms
    Flower girl headpieces
    Future Mrs. Hoodie
    Family Wedding Photos Table
    Placecards
    Coloring books for the kids
    Heart shaped crayons for the kids
    Favors

I think that is it!  I'm sure I'll find more though lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am planning on tackling the following (so far)

my own petticoat (teal to match wedding colors, then it will show when i bustle the dress)
    Glitter shoes for me and the maids
    Colored belts for BM dresses
    Embellishing my vista print invites, and making matching rsvp postcards and reception cards.
    Colored clothespins for putting pictures up at the site (can't do a slideshow)
    Possibly doing my own food.
    A bridesmaid is making the flower girl dresses.
    DIY centerpieces
    Table runners

thats all i can think of so far.

(p.s. if you have people coming for the reception that have severe allergies, i woudl recommend not using burlap for table runners. i am so allergic to burlap that if i were invited, i would have to leave.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I cannot think of everything that I am DIY, but what I am most excited about is my brooch bouquet!
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_diy-projects?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:08dd9f55-85e5-4185-ac6a-ed0b4c5c89b9Post:7e2ff0ed-1595-4df4-9bdd-49df129f78b0">Re: DIY projects</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am planning on tackling the following (so far) my own petticoat (teal to match wedding colors, then it will show when i bustle the dress) Glitter shoes for me and the maids Colored belts for BM dresses Embellishing my vista print invites, and making matching rsvp postcards and reception cards. Colored clothespins for putting pictures up at the site (can't do a slideshow) Possibly doing my own food. A bridesmaid is making the flower girl dresses. DIY centerpieces Table runners thats all i can think of so far. (p.s. if you have people coming for the reception that have severe allergies, i woudl recommend not using burlap for table runners. i am so allergic to burlap that if i were invited, i would have to leave.)
    Posted by lilliesnremains[/QUOTE]

Thank for the allergy info! after doing some research we are going to use Shalimar burlap. This burlap is dyed, finished and sanitized to remove natural oils and odor common to jute fabric.<span>The Shalimar Burlap Fabric  high-quality fabric, and It is a heavier-weight burlap perfect for home décor items such as curtains, pillow covers, wall hangings, and throw rugs. </span><div id="ysb-fc-storage-container" style="width:0px;height:0px;"></div>
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • lilliesnremains, please don't try to do your own food! This is the biggest cost, I know, but that's because it's the biggest amount of work. I have read horror stories over on the food board...There are other ways to save money on food, like hiring a local restaurant, finding recent culinary arts grads who are just starting up, and doing buffet.

Now back to the topic at hand. DIY projects:
     table numbers-post card of places we love
    cake topper-lego penguins on order
    flowers-vases from ikea, flowers wholesale from sam's, ribbon from joann's
    makeup
    survival clutches for bridesmaids
    card box-no ideas at this point!
    invites and paper products-joann's print at home
    engagement photos-dad
    flower girl basket-from the wedding i was in at age 5, plus some new ribbon
    music!-the pieces I want for the ceremony need to be arranged for the propper instrumentation. Taking a choral piece, and turning it into instrumental for keyboard and strings. Not really DIY, because this is another Dad poject.
    Slide show-again, not DIY for me, but planning on asking FMIL

Right now, I don't fell like I've picked too many projects. The flowers are a big project, but I know I'm going to save so much money. My mom has already agreed to help with this one the day before.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards