Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Flavors

FI and I met with a couple bakeries today and we are kind of torn on what kinds of cake to offer. 
I had originally planned on 3-4 flavors that are all very different to appeal to a variety of taste buds.  After talking to the bakers and mentioning that it will be served from waiters carrying trays (guests can still choose) they brought up how it overcomplicates things (only can carry 2-3 of each flavor on a tray, takes longer for people to decide, etc...) 

So, now we are looking at only having 2 flavors.  1 flavor is my favorite which is chocolate cake with layers of chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries.  We want the other option to be a crowd pleaser and have no idea what would be the most well liked so I am looking for advice. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cake Flavors

• topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm partial to red velvet. We're doing red velvet w/chocolate ganache filling. YUM

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I like red velvet, but if you are already having chocolate then I would offer a white cake as the second option.  Chocolate and red velvet are fairly similar.

"You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

• edited December 2011
    I'm doing chocolate bavarian for my grooms cake, and french vanilla cake with lemon filling and cream cheese icing for my brides cake.

They were by far the biggest crowd pleasers at my cake sampling.
  • edited December 2011
    I love red velvet, but I think most red velvets are chocolate cake based, so I'd do one of the vanilla cakes.  Maybe the lemon, since people who don't like chocolate wouldn't like the white chocolate mousse.  I've never had cassata, though. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavors-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:75684d85-80f2-4e3c-9f42-fde34bcbe0d0Post:a4218088-4982-439f-9966-f2ad30031b01">Re: Cake Flavors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love red velvet, but I think most red velvets are chocolate cake based, so I'd do one of the vanilla cakes.  Maybe the lemon, since people who don't like chocolate wouldn't like the white chocolate mousse. <strong> I've never had cassata, though. 
    </strong>Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Cassata is kind of like cannoli cream but lighter...apparently very popular.  My only concern with the lemon is that it is also fruit based. So if I onlyhave 2 fruit options, I'm worried people won't be happy.  I definitely see the point about red velvet being chocolate based.  And their version of white chocolate is surprisingly a lot like a better vanilla (and I don't like white chocolate or vaniila very much). 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavors-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:75684d85-80f2-4e3c-9f42-fde34bcbe0d0Post:b8adb421-273c-494a-85b2-7e0894d7eb9a">Re: Cake Flavors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake Flavors : Cassata is kind of like cannoli cream but lighter...apparently very popular.  My only concern with the lemon is that it is also fruit based. So if I onlyhave 2 fruit options, I'm worried people won't be happy.  I definitely see the point about red velvet being chocolate based.  And their version of white chocolate is surprisingly a lot like a better vanilla (and I don't like white chocolate or vaniila very much). 
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

I think the lemon might be the safest--I think it's a traditional wedding cake flavor, and it's not like it's slices of lemon or something, so I don't really see the fruit thing as a problem.  I get that their version of white chocolate isn't that chocolate-y, but people might not try it based on being told that it's a white chocolate filling. 

That's me trying to be logical about cake flavors with the disclaimer that I've never met a cake I didn't like. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavors-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:75684d85-80f2-4e3c-9f42-fde34bcbe0d0Post:fd02c884-7de3-45c3-bcb3-7a5335be255c">Re: Cake Flavors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake Flavors : I think the lemon might be the safest--I think it's a traditional wedding cake flavor, and it's not like it's slices of lemon or something, so I don't really see the fruit thing as a problem.  I get that their version of white chocolate isn't that chocolate-y, but people might not try it based on being told that it's a white chocolate filling. <strong> That's me trying to be logical about cake flavors with the disclaimer that I've never met a cake I didn't like. 
    </strong>Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

HAHA same here :)  FI and I both say we don't discriminate much when it comes to cake. Actually we found 1 baker at  bridal show that gave us 3 types to try and we couldn't eat more than a bite because it was so bad...but that's rare.   I think I am freaking out more over this detail than lage vendor decisions.  I just want to make everyone happy and the fact of the matter is that not everyone will be no matter what I choose.  I may disregard the advice of the bakers and add a 3rd flavor but who knows.  Thanks for the input everyone :)
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with something non-chocolatey since you have such an intense chocolate cake for your first choice, which eliminates red velvet and white chocolate mousse. I'd do a fruit filling with white cake.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • futurepivkofuturepivko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we had a 5 tier cake.

my mom made our cake...shes a professional.

we had cherry chip (that they no longer make...mom had to special order it) on the anniv. and bottom layers. then we had carrot cake, orange swirl, and red velvet

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would definitely go with a white cake--none of those fillings really got me all excited though.  We did white with raspberry and tres leches, in addition to chocolate.

• BrideBling82BrideBling82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    White cake is the best choice IMO. ALthough I love chcolate and can eat almost all the time...tons of people hate it. For my wedding i'm having a traditional white cake, the grooms cake is cookies and cream (total suprise for FI) and we'll have lemon sheetcakes in the back to cut. So they will have options I guess but whatever is placed before you is what you get. Im not worrying about it.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally LOVE red velvet cake, but I know a lot of people who aren't fans. I think a plain white cake would be the most universally appealing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the white, and I wish white with raspberry or strawberry was on the list! 
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think white cake is most well received but I prefer Red Velvet!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards