Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

gluten-free cake

Are any of you having a gluten-free cake?  If I don't, I don't eat cake.  They are quoting me $8/slice.  And its like a bakery 2 hrs away.  So I don't think they would do like 1 layer for that distance.  On top of that, the guest list is 500. 

Re: gluten-free cake

• Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you do a variety of cakes instead of just 1 cake?  Then you can get some gluten-free and others not and you can usually pick them up locally at grocery stores and bakers.

It can be cute too

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could have someone in your family make a small cake just for you and your groom [cute!] and order a larger cake from a closer bakery?  I'm sure there are some good recipes online, and depending on who you ask, they might be honored to do it!
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Here's what we did for DH's cousin's wedding (I made the cake for their gift - yes it was o.k. with the site/caterer since I'm not licensed because of their state's laws)..

There were at least four guests there who have Celiac's so we did the bride's cake as a regular wedding cake (aka: what you want to look at in your photos for the next 65 years)... Then we did the Groom's cake as a gluten-free cake...  It worked great and just made sure ahead of time that the catering staff knew that it was a Celiac's cake and most of all, to cut/serve those first so there was no risk of cross-contamination.  Their photographer's PG wife had also been diagnosed with Celiac's just under a year before this and was about in tears because it was the first time in over a year she was able to have CAKE!! 

The key is just make sure the baker you're using for the main cake knows right away when you book that you'll be bringing in a Celiac's cake for the Groom's cake (they most likely won't offer it as an option), and that way they aren't surprised to see someone else's product there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great question! I'm gluten free - but am also not really a sweets eater. If we do cake (rather than another dessert), I was going to do just regular cake, but bring a gluten free cupcake for myself. This way, hopefully I will not get endless comments about why I'm not eating the cake....
  • Options
    PA71010PA71010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having a small gluten free cake that is a smaller version of our large cake.  If you were going to make your own gluten free cake, Betty Crocker does have gluten free cake mixes...
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend is gluten-free, and her mom makes her cakes (baby shower, baby's birthday, etc) gluten free. She uses the Pamela's mix, and it is mighty tasty. We have tried lots of different mixes with her, and Pamela's is by far the best.

So if you wanted a small GF cake for you and FI, maybe get a friend, or a regular baker, to make one, but suggest that mix, so its not so expensive.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    hollieheidihollieheidi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing centerpiece cakes.  We have several guests that are GF and vegan.  We are providing a gluten free/vegan cake for their table.

Our other cakes are 8" round, 6" tall white with Irish creme mousse filling iced with white buttercream with ribbon around the bottoms...

Here is the quote from the gluten-free bakery...

"for an 8 inch diameter, 4 inch high gluten-free cake, it starts at $45.  For any additional dietary changes, we usually add 10% for each change (ie dairy-free and egg-free would be 2 changes).  This also includes some basic decorating – since we won’t have to do that (since you’ll be putting the ribbon on), then we won’t charge any more for the additional height of the cakes (to get a 6 inch tall cake).

Final cost would be $54."

Hope that helps....I'm getting the cake from a gluten-free bakery outside of DC..
    http://www.tenzoartisan.com/

You can also order gluten-free cake blanks that you would just have to ice.
    http://www.glutenfreecreations.com/index.php?page=108
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know of any of my guests that need a gluten-free cake, but I will be having several guests that need a sugar-free cake. I was going to find some way to work with the bakery to have a small 6 person cake that would be specifically for guests that are diabetic. I would hate to have a good number of people there that can't have cake because of dietary restrictions!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also a gf bride, as well as sugar-free.
    We will have a traditional wedding cake but cut into a smaller version of it- or a big cupcake or something that will be gf.
    Thats the best I've came up with for now ...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Betty Crocker now make a gluten free cake mix!  My BF or 20 yrs and MaidOH has celiac disease and I'm going to make her a couple mini wedding "cakes" to eat.  I have a mini loaf pan that will make 8 small loafs. I think if I cut the loaves like I do when I make a sheet cake twinkie cake and then get some extra butter cream icing from my aunt, who is making our cake, then I can make it myself for her at my house and make doubly sure there's no cross contamination.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards