Moms and Maids
Options

Bridesmaid Newly Pregnant, What to Do About Dress?

Hi ladies,
I could use some basic input on how to tentatively form plans regarding bridesmaid gowns with someone newly pregnant in the wedding party?
Anyone have this come up?
I haven't chosen dresses for my ladies, and am actually considering letting the girls choose their own gowns in a particular shade (hoping the variation will look pretty not silly), which would be helpful for my lovely lady, who will have an ever changing body for the next several months, both pre & post-baby. But I'm not sure yet...
The baby is due roughly 5 mo. pre-wedding. Can't wait to meet him or her :)
Ideas, suggestions, etc are welcome!

Re: Bridesmaid Newly Pregnant, What to Do About Dress?

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have such a long time before you need to decide on dresses.  I wouldn't even worry about it seeing as how she will have given birth months before you wedding.  

I do have to say I think letting the ladies choose their own dresses in a particular shade is a great idea.  This way everyone will be comfortable in a style they choose.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You sound happy and supportive of your friend, which is great.  You have lots of time, as Jagore said.  I LOVE the idea of everyone picking a dress in a particular shade, and I think that would be stunning.

Congrats to your friend on the pregnancy.  You have a great attitude.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at dresses where pregnancy might not affect the look?  An empire waist might be nice or if you want to just choose a color (say everyone get a purple dress or something) then she can shop the maternity stores. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with jagore. SInce she will already of had the baby, just let her decide what dress she wants to wear. Every womans body is different as far as the post-baby weight is concerned.
  • Options
    mdd123082mdd123082 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great ideas- sounds like everyone is thinking the same thing I have been- if everyone chooses their own dress in a color I've chosen, everyone should be satisfied with their choice, especially where my pregnant friend is concerned. And hopefully get more wearability out of the gowns, too. Love the suggestion on Empire waist gowns, too, very stylish and clever, too!

I was thinking of going with dark blue/navy... anyone think that's a good choice?
    That can open up a lot of color difference, but I'm hoping that will create a nice variety rather than the cookie cutter effect, which I'm not crazy about.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If she's due 5 months before the wedding don't have her pick out a dress until after she delivers.  Just find a place where she doesn't have to order way in advance or can buy off the rack.  Her body will change after the pregnancy but it won't be the same as the during pregnancy changes.  Also suggest she find a seamtress that can do alterations in about a week.  That way she can have the dress altered shortly before the ceremony if she needs it taken in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to be in the same boat. :)  Right down to the 5 months pre-wedding!  I'm letting my girls pick their own style to hopefully offset that.

Regarding the shades of blue, I think it will look really pretty.  I've seen pictures and it's always turned out really nice:

Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    wegsmomwegsmom member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Davids Bridal and Alfred Angelo I believe both carry dresses in maternity styles...she may want one, she may not.  Just food for thought.  Best of luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyone's already given good advice, so I'll just say good luck and best wishes to both you and your friend :^)
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're letting them all choose their own, I would either pick a designer who can be ordered in a short timeframe or off the rack, or let them choose the designer as well.  That way, she can choose her dress closer to the wedding when she'll have a better idea of what size she needs.  I had two of my bridesmaids get pregnant and give birth during my engagement, and both waited to select their dresses until a couple of months out.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    mdd123082mdd123082 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice and support! I am so excited to meet him or her, and think my girl is going to look amazing no matter what.

I'm probably going to go with navy and let them all have at it. I might browse a little myself to offer some good suggestions, since I've seen some great ones in a range of prices & styles from Alfred Angelo & David's Bridal to J Crew and the Limited to Jim Hjelm and Jenni Yoo. Whatever they choose, they'll obviously like and wear again (hopefully).  

New question- if the girls pick their dresses and I give them jewelry or shoes (to keep something standard), should the guys pick something unique to wear as well, like their tie?
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-newly-pregnant-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:c4d03247-8c03-4afb-b1cb-4ca9a9befaf4Post:7c4280c3-003b-4d89-96ae-f52cb7cc428a">Re: Bridesmaid Newly Pregnant, What to Do About Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]New question- if the girls pick their dresses and I give them jewelry or shoes (to keep something standard), should the guys pick something unique to wear as well, like their tie?
    Posted by mdd123082[/QUOTE]
    Jewelry or shoes are such minute details that they won't really have the unifying effect that you desire.  I can't even tell you what accessories most of my girls wore.  Also remember that anything to wear in your wedding doesn't actually count as a gift to them.  Honestly, I think the bouquets are enough of a unifying element.

As far as the guys choosing their own tie, that's really up to you.  But I think that guys tend to care about that sort of thing far less than girls, so the majority of guys would much rather have it picked for them than try to come up with something on their own.  However, many couples ask the guys to wear their own suit rather than renting something.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-newly-pregnant-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:c4d03247-8c03-4afb-b1cb-4ca9a9befaf4Post:7c4280c3-003b-4d89-96ae-f52cb7cc428a">Re: Bridesmaid Newly Pregnant, What to Do About Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]New question- if the girls pick their dresses and I give them jewelry or shoes (to keep something standard), should the guys pick something unique to wear as well, like their tie?
    Posted by mdd123082[/QUOTE]
    First, just FYI jewelry and shoes for your wedding aren't gifts for your bridesmaids.  So if you do buy these, they don't count as their bm gift. 

Secondly, please, please, please don't dictate the shoes they wear.  People have different feet and find different shoes comfortable and nothing affects comfort more than the shoes you wear.  Just tell them a colour (e.g. silver) and let them pick any shoe they want in that colour.  It will have just as much of a unifying effect and your bridesmaids will be way more comfortable.

As for the guys, they can do different ties if you want, but I don't think it's necessary.  If they'll have to be bought on top of the tux or suit rental, however, you should really pay for that.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards