Wedding Party

vent. Feeling sulky. WP related

I know I'm new here! I look forward to getting to know you though!

I'm feeling a bit sulky, and I really don't have anyone to talk to about it. We got engaged a couple days before Christmas, and while I'm super happy, some of our very close friends also got engaged on the 26th. We have a large group of mutual friends, and I know this sounds super childish, but I feel like no one is excited for us, because they're too busy being excited for the others.

Even the girl I consider my best friend. I know she's closer with the other girl than me, but we're still very, very good friends, I stood up in her wedding this fall. She has hardly even congratulated me. She commented on the other girl's facebook about how they just could not be more excited for the two of them, and has yet to say anything about my changed status. Yes, I know this is childish, but it's really making me feel like I just inconvenienced everyone by getting engaged. And like I stole the other girl's thunder or something.

Also, we have a lot of friends, but only one or two close friends each. I have no idea how to go about chosin a bridal party.

/vent

Re: vent. Feeling sulky. WP related

• Congratulations on your engagement! Don't worry too much what other people think, as long as you and your fiancé are excited, that's what matters! You being in love is what validates your engament, not whether you got 50 facebook likes on your status. I know it can be a bit of a bummer because it's nice to get some attention for something so exciting, but just try to see the positives and don't let them ruin your happiness :) Maybe stay off facebook for a few days, or at least away from the profiles of the other engaged couples.

Wait a while before choosing your WP too, it's nice to let the excitement settle down before asking people to be in your wedding. Enjoy your planning!!
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's all new but this is something you'll have to learn:  No one will ever be as excited as you for your wedding. 

You don't need to feel like you inconvenienced  anyone by getting engaged.  You are entitled to live your life the way you choose to live it.  Don't be so hard on yourself!  Enjoy your engagement.

As for the FB thing...really it's nothing.  In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.  It's only FB.  If this friend told you "Congratulations" then she congratulated you.  She doesn't need to say more.

As for choosing a BP, you choose who YOU want.  Also, take your time.  Set a date with your FI first, get started on your planning and when you have about 6-9 months left to go, then ask people to be in your BP.  Many women make the mistake of choosing too soon and later regret some of their choices. 

Good luck and Congratulations on your engagement!  Enjoy it because time flies!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The wedding will be in September, so we're 9 months out now I guess...
    And the girl I'm talking about is my "quick" emergency girl. I'm just not hers, the other girl who got engaged is. So I really am trying to be understanding of her lack of enthusiasm, but it still hurts a bit. And they've been friends longer, yaddah yaddah...but like I said, it still sucks a bit.

Plus I know she's going to be standing up in the other wedding, along with her H, who  we'll also ask. And they're getting a new house this summer. I just feel like I'm going to be inconveniencing them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_vent-feeling-sulky-wp-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f9ea7313-06b0-407e-9e85-fac23b6369e9Post:35695a9a-d8d7-4a42-9431-08b6c2393b6d">Re: vent. Feeling sulky. WP related</a>:
    [QUOTE]The wedding will be in September, so we're 9 months out now I guess... And the girl I'm talking about is my "quick" emergency girl. I'm just not hers, the other girl who got engaged is. So I really am trying to be understanding of her lack of enthusiasm, but it still hurts a bit. And they've been friends longer, yaddah yaddah...but like I said, it still sucks a bit. Plus I know she's going to be standing up in the other wedding, along with her H, who  we'll also ask. And they're getting a new house this summer. I just feel like I'm going to be inconveniencing them.
    Posted by funandfreckles[/QUOTE]

If you ask and they say yes and you respect their budget constraints, you will not be inconveniencing anyone.  Just ask and stop putting so much pressure on yourself.  You'll drive yourself insane if you try and please everyone but yourself during this time.  This is your and FI's wedding.  Have the wedding you want to have.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One or two close friends each is a fine wedding party.  Or you can do without one at all.  Wedding party sides also don't have to be even, and don't have to be divided by gender.  So if he wants two friends, and you want two friends and a brother or whatever, that's fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One or two close friends each is a fine wedding party.  Or you can do without one at all.  Wedding party sides also don't have to be even, and don't have to be divided by gender.  So if he wants two friends, and you want two friends and a brother or whatever, that's fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards