Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

MOB Bride Dresses

Sorry--I know this gets asked a lot

1. Should the mothers wear short or long dresses to a formal June wedding? The bridesmaids are wearing short. I don't really care, but Jay's mom is concerned. Would it be weird if one wore short and one wore long?

2. Any recs for places to look in DFW--off the rack, my mom doesn't want to order because she has been losing a lot of weight lately. She's probably going to want to spend under $350 (way under if possible) Places that carry plus-sized are extra helpful.

Re: MOB Bride Dresses

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom, Ben's mom and both the grandmothers all got their dresses at Terry Costa (my grandmother is plus sized).

For a summer wedding I like short, but it doesn't matter.  Whatever they feel the best in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there are rules any more on this type of stuff. Tell them to order what ever they feel comfortable wearing. As long as they're not wearing white or BRIGHT red, you're all good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unless bright red goes well with your colors..or you just don't care.   :) 

I think it really depends on what they feel best in.  I don't think it matters if one wears short and the other wears long.

My mom found her dress at Dillards and my MIL found her dress at Macy's.  What's even more awesome is that my MIL waited to get her dress for a while and the one she had her eye on went on clearance.  I think she got it for like $30-$50 if I remember correctly.  It was orginally $175, I believe.  Of course, she had to call around and find where the dress was in her size, but it was worth it and I loved her dress and she loved her dress and that's all that mattered.
  • Options
    Buttercup509Buttercup509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

If they want to buy off the rack, you could try Dillards and Nordstrom.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say short, especially in June.  Like Emi said though, whatever makes them comfortable.

As far as places, my Mom found hers in the Women's department at Dillard's.  She didn't have good luck at Stonebriar or Collin Creek, but Northeast Mall in Hurst had a great selection.  It all just depends on the store.

Group USA at Grapevine Mills had quite a few long formal options at reasonabe prices ($150-200ish), if they decide to go that route.  All are 'off the rack'.
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!

StephieHall--my mom has looked at Terry Costa, but we cannot remember if they were off the rack--do you know?
  • Options
    JennandCollinJennandCollin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey date twin!  Just FYI, my mom and FMIL are wearing long dresses, but our wedding is pretty formal, and the BM's are wearing long dresses.  Plus, that is what they feel most comfy in anyway.  I think that since your BM's are wearing short dresses, it doesn't really matter!  Just whatever they feel most comfortable in!

They ordered theirs from Ocone's in Fort Worth, the store my dress and the BM dresses came from.  They have a few off the rack, but not many.  But, I was at Dillard's the other day and they have several right now in the plus size section that are beautiful!  Hope that helps!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa, yes, we walked out with my mom's dress that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is wearing a short dress...but so are my bridesmaids and the wedding is outside. She got hers (two actually since we couldn't decide) at Macy's
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dads are wearing tuxes...does that change any opinions?
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both our dads wore tuxes.  My mom wore a short dress and his mom wore a long dress.  I think it's fine either way.  I think his mom borrowed a dress from a friend and my mom bought hers from Dillard's and it was about $150 or so.  It was pink and she looked beautiful. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just a heads up my mother and I looked last weekend at the Dillard's in Stonebriar and they had really next to nothing, which really shocked me!  I used to work at Dillard's back home and they always had a HUGE section for that type of stuff.  I see a lot online that both my mother and I love for her, but they just weren't in the store.  My mother is coming in next weekend to shop and we're in the same boat, it must be off the rack for her to purchase that day since my wedding is May 15th :)  Good Luck!!
    Photobucket I finally married the love of my life! Planning Bio: Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards