Tennessee

Outdoor weddings?

Is anyone having an outdoor wedding in August?  I'm concerned about the heat, but have always wanted an outdoor ceremony.  I'm also considering setting the ceremony for 7:30 pm.  Is that too late??

Re: Outdoor weddings?

• edited December 2011
    Depending on what kind of budget you are working with and if you are doing tents (which I suggest with sporadic summer storms) you can always rent fans or portable air conditioners for your space. Be mindful as well if you are having it outdoors, especially if it is near water, at 7:30 p.m. mosquitos will be out in full force (little bottles of OFF could make for humorous wedding favors). It really depends on what kind of guest list and personality you and your family and friends have as to whether 7:30 is too late or not. If your family and friends are very festive and enjoys late night activiites then I say go for it, evening weddings are always beautiful. However, if you will be having a lot of older relatives be mindful that many of them do not like to drive after dark or stay up past 9 or so.

I'm planning an outdoor June wedding for next year and these are all things I've recently had to consider. Good luck!
  • JMN2010JMN2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think it is insane to plan an outdoor wedding in August in Tennessee. However, if you really want to do it, I think that there are certain things you can do. Like PP said, plan on having fans and a tent for your location. Are you planning on having the ceremony outside and the reception inside? Or do you want everything outside? I think that the later you can have the ceremony the better. And 7:30 isn't too late. I would definitely keep the ceremony short and provide water for your guests. PP had a lot of good ideas as to how to keep your guests as comfortable as possible.
  • opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think an outdoor ceremony in August would be just miserable. Even at 7:30 it's still extremely hot. PP has some good ideas about how to keep folks cool if you're in a tent, but I'm just seeing all kinds of problems with this:
    -Wedding dresses, tuxes, suits, and BM dresses are more stifling than most attire. My wedding was in January and I was sweating like mad.
    -You'll need to plan carefully for the low angle of the sun at 7:30 as it can make photography tricky
    -What happens if your fans/portable AC break?
    -Will your flowers wilt very quickly?
    -If you're having the reception outside, you'll need to worry about the cake melting/sagging. You'll also need to plan your menu for foods that can hold up in the heat.

Sure, you can do it, but I'd recommend you just save yourself the trouble.
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had an outdoor wedding in July. It was miserable. Please don't do this. She had fans, a tent, and the wedding didn't start til 7, and we were still miserable. The men in tuxes were absolutely dying. Her cake melted. The mayo based foods (even put on ice) was not appetizing at all. The food stayed cold, it just wasn't what we wanted on such a hot day. The bride was sweating her make-up off in her dress, and changed quickly into her cocktail dress, so all of her pictures are of her in a cocktail dress. The bugs ate us to pieces.

I'm not gonna lie though, the open bar was enough to keep us drunk and happy, and we still had quite a bit of fun :)
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also having an outdoor wedding the last wknd in August. I guess like you I don't see this as "miserable." I'm actually getting married at my grandmother's house on the river. Sure, it's going to be hot just like it will be all summer which is when most people get married. But if this is what you have your heart set on DO IT!!! We've taken a lot of precautions and def. considered the heat.....my fiance and his groomsmen are wearing khaki suits not a black tux, my BM dresses are knee length/strapless, we're using very few flowers during the reception unless they are submerged in water, our programs are printed on fans and we had personalized labels made for the water bottles we're handing out at the ceremony. The cake is being refrigerated until a few minutes before the cutting and we've worked with our catereron a summer foods....lots of fruits and meat from the grill. Since it's at my grandmother's we're having it sprayed for bugs and LOTS of citronela candles/torches. Like you, I'm having a late ceremony 7:30 ish and it will be SHORT. Fans and pleny of water and alcohol will be at the reception. I promise if this is what you want you can make it fabulous for everyone:)
    -Megan
  • medsw610medsw610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tend to agree with most above.  Outdoors in August sounds horrible!  Even in the evenings, it is beyond hot and muggy.  Ultimately it is your call and if this what you want go for it.  But keep in mind your guests and their comfort level please.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there!
    I'm getting married at the end of August outside, but I think we're starting at 530. Then the reception will be a combo of in and out. First thing my sister and mother said when I told them? Outside--Memphis--August--"That's horrible!"
    Alas, it's been my dream. You should try asking your vendors about past August weddings and check out the Farmer's Almanac for your date. My vendor told me they had  a couple of outdoor weddings in August last year and it was pretty mild. Fans and tents--depending on your budget--are also options.
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like you have so much done! I too was thinking about the programs on fans and plan on having a bucket or basket of little OFF!s.
  • edited December 2011
    One of my friends had an outdoor reception at 3pm in August, and it was fine.  I've been to another one whose had hers at 2pm in June.  Both of these are in the hottest part if the day in a TN summer, and I had a great time at each of them.

I think it's your wedding, and if you've always wanted an outdoor wedding, then go for it.  Yes, it's hot, but chances are most of your guests will be from TN, and they'll be used to the August heat.  I've seen favors such as hand held fans and  water bottles& I think they're adorable.  I also really like the idea of little bottles of "OFF" as favors.  

Just when you're planning, plan wisely.  Make sure reception foods are nice and light (fresh fruit, veggies, etc).  You could possibly even have homemade ice cream if you serve it out of the ice cream freezers.  

Outdoor weddings often allow you to be more casual, so you don't have to wear a really heavy dress or necessarily put everyone in tuxes.  

As long as you're considering the heat & provide shade and cool beverages, I think you'll be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having an outdoor August wedding.  Ours will start at 6:30 pm, hoping to keep the ceremony short and sweet, then the reception will be immediately afterwards in a covered pavillion.  I like the idea of supplying the Off spray and fans.  Night time shouldn't be that bad!  In August the sun will be setting right around 7:30 pm.  I say go for it!
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yep! Outdoor wedding in August at 5pm.  It's going to be so hot, but I only have 3 weeks off in grad school and there wasn't much of a choice! I figured everyone there loves us and we've all grown up in the south and deal with this heat every year!  I really like the idea of mini bottles of OFF (do these exist?) We will have plenty of water and the ceremony is under two big trees and reception has a tent. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards