Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Anniversary Dance

Has anyone seen an Anniversary Dance done at a wedding? I heard about it from the DJ we hired and it sounds sweet. It is sometimes done in place of the bouquet and garter toss. This is how he explained it:

The DJ invites all married couples out onto the dance floor. Then a few moments into the dance, he asks all couples who have been married less than 24 hours to leave the floor. Then all couples married less than one year, five years, and so on, until you are left with the couple married the longest. Then the bride's bouquet is presented to the couple and they are given the mic and asked to give some advice to the newly weds.

I really like this idea and think it could be really sweet. My question is, I would still like to do bouquet and garter toss, would it be too much to do those also? I think I would do this after the first dance and father daughter dance. Bouquet and garter would be later in the night. I'm also curious for feedback about if people have done this or seen it done and how it worked out.

Thanks!

Re: Anniversary Dance

• Options
    I love it!  The last wedding we went to the couple had been married 60 years, and they were the groom's grandparents!  The band leader also asked them to give the bride and groom advice for a good marrige.  Really cute.
  • Options
    We did this at our wedding and the dance floor was full as well.  I gave my bouquet to the couple who was married the longest.  And then for the bouquet toss, I had my florist make a smaller bouquet to toss.  (she called it a "toss bouquet"). 

We did this dance right after the cake cutting.  We cut our cake then went right into the dance.  Of course the B&G are the first to leave, so thats when we were able to sit and eat our cake.  It also gave us a few minuets to go to the bathroom or have a few minutes to ourselve because everyone else was out on the dance floor!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agreed- I've been to a couple weddings that have done this and it's so nice, especially like when everyone said, the grandparents of the bride or groom are the last ones dancing. I kinda like the idea of giving them the bouqet, but if you wanted to do the traditional toss for the single ladies, you can give them some other prize instead.
  • Options
    Locally, the custom here is to give a gift to the couple married the longest and have the emcee honor the couple by saying a few words about how they are the example for the Bride and Groom to follow for a happily married life. It happens just after the first dance and father/daughter type dances. The bouquet and garter tosses happen before the late-night snack.
    Suzie and Tom: Livin' the Dream!
  • Options
    We recently attended two weddings for young friends of ours.  At the first, we were the last couple on the floor (just celebrated 32 years) and were asked to each give a bit of marriage advice to the newlyweds.  At the second, her grandparents were the last couple.  Grandma was in a wheelchair, and Granpa gracefully "danced" her around the floor.  Bride gave Grandma a bouquet she had made specially for the occasion.

Consider: some of us older guests who no longer boogie down would like to participate in one special, romantic dance that celebrates and honors good marriages.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! I'm so glad to hear good things about this. I also talked to my parents and FI about it and they loved the idea. Sounds like I will find a way to make this part of the day!
  • Options

I have seen it as - at the end of the dance, the couple that has been married the longest shares a dance with the bride and groom, where the bride dances w/ the man married the longest and the groom dances w the woman married the longest and they share their advice to the bride and groom at that time.  Halfway through the dance, you switch partners so that you are back w/ your spouse.  It is awesome.  I am going to do something similiar w/ my grandparents since we are marrying on their 50th wedding anniversary!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards