Indiana

Wedding Cake

My fiance and I don't really care for cake.  So the idea of spending 500-600 dollars on cake for our 500 guests seems silly.  I have heard of using styrofoam for the cake and just ordering sheet cakes.  Has anyone done this?  Do you have any advice for me?

Re: Wedding Cake

• edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding where I later found out that their cake that was displayed was boxes covered with fondant.  They had sheet cakes in the back that they served to the guest and honestly, I had no idea.  She said that this was a great way for them to save money and no one knew the difference.  I say go for it, anything to save you some cash!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree - go for it! No one will know the difference, it's an excellent idea. If you go with a professional cake place the styrofoam one could be something they use again, as a display, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    That's what we are going to do. The only difference is that we are going to make the top layer a small cake for FI & I to cut. Such a time & money saver!
  • purdueamandapurdueamanda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My H and I don't like cake either so we did multiple cheesecakes from the Cheesecake Factory.  The guests seemed to really love it.

• edited December 2011
    As long as the decorations of the cake aren't elaborate it's a great way to cut costs. You can always do cupcakes, I personally love the idea of cheesecakes! If there is a dessert that your FI and you love then serve that. The reception and wedding are supposed to be about you guys!
  • edited December 2011
    So do you guys have any suggestions on who will do this "fake cake" idea?  How much money can you save?
  • edited December 2011
    As long as you find the right baker it can save money. We found someone (we didn't hire them) who only charged .75 less per slice for fake cake. I was shocked that she would charge per slice for styrofoam, but she said that the designing of the cake still took time.

if you do want real cake, we're saving money by just doing a smaller cake with textured buttercream icing (the spackled look) and then sheet cakes. Since the textured buttercream isn't as time consuming as sculpted buttercream it's saving us a ton of money, and still looks great.
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Skip cake like Amanda did and serve what you really want.  You don't HAVE to have cake :)
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards