Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Interview help?

I have an interview this afternoon for an admin assistant type of position, and while thats all well and good I probably wouldnt be able to continue the position come september (school). Should I be upfront about that in the interview? Wait until a 2nd inteview to bring it up, or not bring it up at all and make as much money as I can between now and september and then quit?

Im leaning towards bringing it up today, not 100% on how I should word it, but im almost positive I will not get the job if I cant continue working the same hours after a certain date.

What do youthink?

Re: Interview help?

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    This makes sense and I honestly cant figure why I didnt think of it until it was pointed out to me, or why I was keeping their best interest in mind over my own. I just wont mention it at all and proceed as though it was a normal interview.
  • Options
    When I was looking for an assistant, I passed on anyone that commented that they were starting school that fall or would continue to look for a job in their field. I regret the person I ended up with, but at the very least she was available and flexible.

If you want/need the job, don't say anything. If school doesn't happen in September for any reason, you won't have to leave.
    planning

• Options
    I feel the same way about  my current position (I started in December.)  I knew that, regardless of getting this position, I would be leaving my company to go back to school full time, but there was no way I was going to bring that up.  Will my boss be pissed?  Likely.  Do they really care what's best for me and my situation?  Likely no.  So, I'm looking out for me, even though I do have that slightly guilty feeling.  Sometimes you just have to push past it.
  • Options
    I understand you might feel like you're hiding something, and I'm usually in favor of complete honesty, but I agree it would be like self-sabotage in the name of full disclosure.

The economy sucks, jobs are scarce, and September is a long way off.  You can give them six months of hard work, which is more than some other candidate might give them anyway. I think your doing the right thing by just trying your best and seeing what happens.

• Options
    Ditto everyone else, and good luck Nebbalicious!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Good luck!  PinkSuperhero is totally right:  don't tell at any point in the interviews, as they wouldn't be telling you right now if they were going to downsize.  With all the crap that's gone on in employment the last year for me, I realize you really need to just watch out for yourself.  Do your best to get the position and deal with telling them later.  I would honestly accept the job and not think anything of not telling them.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    You guys always make more sense of situations than I ever do, so thank you!
  • Options
    I mentioned that I was getting married and the lady wouldn't even finish the interview with me. It was because of my honeymoon. She wouldn't even think about the fact that I really need a job and could change my hm. :( I would have had to take sick days for my wedding anyways. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards