Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagement Gift

Dh and I are going to an engagement party in a couple weeks for one of his fraternity brothers from college.

What are good gift ideas for engagement parties? Should I go with something off their registry (which is all kitchen and bedding) or just a picture frame?

I was thinging the BH&G "Red Book" Cookbook in the Bridal edition, or would that be more of a wedding gift than an engagement gift?

Re: Engagement Gift

• Options
    I like your cookbook idea.
  • Options
    I would do a bottle of wine or perhaps a giftcard to the store where they're registered. I've only been to two e-parties that a good number of people brought gifts to.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    any of the suggestions so far are great! sometimes people forget to register for things like cookbooks so that could be great instead of something off tehir registry. Also, if you have the same book, maybe you can tell her what some of your favorites from it are and you have loved it so you thought she would like it too.
  • Options
    Registry. Since you know they have one, why wouldn't you use it?
  • Options
    I would do registry, but then again, I'm of the mindset that if someone provides a list of things they want then that's what they want..

I do like the cookbook idea, but I would not get them a picture frame. I've never received a picture frame I didn't regift to a client.
  • Options
    I secretly wished I had registered before our E-Party... although very thoughtful and beautiful, we now have PLENTY of silver plated picture frames.

If you don't want to get them something off your registry ... I personally like the cookbook idea aswell and perhaps a small giftcard to where they are registered as the cookbooks bookmark??? 

depending on how much you want to spend...
    but I think typically at E-Party a bottle of wine is very acceptable :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I should have mentioned, they were in a Christian fraternity that does not allow alcohol. Most of his fraternity brothers don't drink, and I'm not sure if this one does.

I have never been to an eparty, just bridal teas and showers. My mom and grandmother both said that you were not suppose to get "wedding gifts" for engagement parties. It should only be monogrammed stationary and picture frames.

Wasn't sure if that was outdated.

Thanks for all the advice
  • Options
    I'm going to an engagement party in October.  I'm also going the cookbook route.  Both B and G claim they don't know how to cook.  I'm buying them Martha Stewart Cooking School.  I'm also having my grandmother embroider "Bride" on a white apron and "Groom" on a black apron.  She has a ridiculous sewing machine that can do it in 2 minutes.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards