Getting in Shape

Cardio Question

Lately, on strength training days, I break up my cardio. I do 15 min, strength train, and do another 15 or 20 minutes at the end. Is this an okay way to get my cardio in, or should I be doing it all together? My FI read somewhere you get a more effective strength workout if you do a little cardio first.

Also- how much cardio do you do per week? I feel like I do a lot of strength, but not enough cardio time.

Thanks ladies!

Re: Cardio Question

• edited January 2013
    If anything you should be doing your cardio after weight lifting. You burn off the glycogen in your liver from the weights, so you're using stored body fat during the cardio portion.

The only "cardio" I do is high intensity intervals 1-2 times a week (so 30-40 minutes a week total). How much cardio you need dpeends on what your goals are. If your goal is just good overall health, keep your heart rate in the 65-75% of HRmax range. A little test - when you walk up a bunch of stairs, does your heart rate go up quickly and then come back down quickly once you've finished climbing the stairs? If yes, then you're in pretty good shape. If not, then building up some endurance would be beneficial.
  • It's good to stretch your muscles before you lift. 
    You shouldn't stretch your muscles if they aren't warmed up, or you run the risk of pulling/tearing a muscle.
    For this reason, it's good to do a litlte cardio before strength training. 

It's fine to split up your cardio that way if you're goal is active recovery cardio (basically jsut cardio to warm up the muscles and kick out any lactic acid)

It's also fine to split up your cardio if you are making sure to get your heart rate up in both segments, if your goal is to get in cardio endurance training. 

Like you said, those are your strength training days, so cardio isn't your main focus I assume? 
    I wouldn't stress it if that's the case :) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cardio-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:72309845-15cc-416f-acc8-115f49ab9c7aPost:436461c6-d025-45e6-909e-f0a6329bcdfd">Re: Cardio Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]If anything you should be doing your cardio after weight lifting. You burn off the glycogen in your liver from the weights, so you're using stored body fat during the cardio portion. 
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Also, this is absolutely correct. </div><div>So if your goal is to really make the best use out of that cardio on your strength training days, rather than just active recovery, then you may want to just do a 10 minutes warm up before stretching and lifting, and then do 20-30 minutes after your lifting routine. </div>
  • I feel like the other ladies answered the question pretty well - but I just wanted to add that I do anywhere from 250-350 minutes of cardio a week. Not all of it is high intensity, but all of it gets my heart rate up. My goal is to have an elevated heart rate for at least 30 minutes at least 4 days a week (I usually out-do myself).
  • It also depends on what you're hoping to accomplish.

Are you very focused on increasing your weight lifting?  Best to just do a 5 minute warm up, some dynamic stretching, lift, and then do cardio so you don't wear out your muscles before lifting.  Are you very focused on increasing your endurance?  Should probably do all your cardio together. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • On top of Bunsen Peak in Yellowstone.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Kex SantosKex Santos member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    The amount of cardio and strength training per week along with the order of it depends on what your goals are.

Are you looking to lose pounds? or just get toned? or just maintain your current physique?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards