Chit Chat

NWR: FI quit smoking yesterday, is there anything I can do to help?

FI officially smoked what we hope is his last cigarette yesterday (yay!). He is taking the physical portion of the police test soon, and since we are talking babies in the not too distant future he really wants to quit. Is there anything I can do to help him, besides understanding that he is going to be a crab for the next few days? I'm very proud of him, but at a loss for how to help. Anyone else go through this? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
imageVilla

Re: NWR: FI quit smoking yesterday, is there anything I can do to help?

• AthseaAthsea member
    First Comment
    Have you considered getting one of those electronic cigarettes? No chemicals or smoke, just nicotine. My FI uses one. Not the ones that look like cigarettes, but a bigger, modified kind. He likes it, it has cut down on his smoking so much, and there's no smoke involved, so no damage to the lungs. He of course wishes to quit completely, but this is something that could help your FI quit, because you can decrease the amount of nicotine in the flavors to zero gradually, and he could still use it after he quits. I've heard from many people who have quit that one of the hardest things was just the habits of having something in your mouth and hands. 
  • The hand to mouth thing is the hardest part...I'm doing the E-Cigs, and I've noticed that I'm craving less nicotine. I'm breathing easier too.
  • There's not a whole lot you can do. Just be there for him...and listen to him when he complains/bitches/whines. My fiancee started on the patch 10 weeks ago and it was hard at first.. I kept wanting to baby him and make it all better but it just made him more irritated. Just be there when he asks for it, if not, just let him handle it himself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He thought about the e-cigerette, but he just wanted to go cold turkey rather than ween himself off. He's kind of all or nothing. He's been ok so far, but it's only been a day. Thanks for the tips thus far. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • I'll 2nd what Rachers said.  The first 72 hours (if he's not doing a NRT) is when the nicotine is actually leaving his system and he'll have physical withdrawal symptoms.  After that is the mental withdrawals - the change in routine, the loss of a crutch...  Those will be the worst for about 3 weeks, but I don't think they ever completely go away.  If he does slip, be supportive and remind him that it's only that, a slip, he didn't fail. 

Best of luck to him!!
  • bongebonge member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-fi-quit-smoking-yesterday-is-there-anything-i-can-do-to-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7c59d754-7162-4c03-88f5-adc3bf9ca39fPost:ba6945b5-1d0a-4800-8fc2-8480c146cb05">Re: NWR: FI quit smoking yesterday, is there anything I can do to help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm on the flip side of you. I quit right before our wedding - my now H never smoked. The best thing that helped me was just the encouragement. H could tell if I was starting to get antsy so he'd go get me some gum or distract me somehow. <strong>If I slipped up, it never helped for H to get angry with me. That only stressed me out and made me want a cigarette more. It helped more for him to say he was disappointed and not necessarily nag me about it, if that makes sense. Disappointment sucks more than someone being angry, IMO</strong>. Hope that helps! Just remember that it will be a struggle for a long time so support is key. Best of luck to you both! P.S. If the cravings are really bad, you could look into gum, patches, etc. I never tried them so I can't relate on how well they work.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>this, i can't stress this enough. The first time i tried to quit that lasted a month. i just couldn't do it. The 2nd time i had more motivation. I quit the night we got engaged but i had been casually trying with champix up till then. 17 months later & i am still struggling, but yet don't really want to smoke, but tell that to my head. </div><div>
    </div><div>Be supportive 150%, he will be grouchy more than a few days. i didn't do too bad but it can last weeks. </div>
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • bongebonge member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    oh and another big thing. the 1st time i gave away my cigs. That was the worst, i thought of then constantly. The 2nd time i kept some in my pack in my purse with me at all times, it was so much easier to remind myself i did not want them by looking at them, the whole outta sight outta mind did NOT work for me. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards