Wedding Woes

Teachers and FB WDWWT?

We may have had this discussion before.

I noticed a friend of mine is FB friends with former students who are now in junior high or high school. I think it's weird. I also judge her for scolding them for texting or FBing during class then continuing the exchange.

Admiring and respecting a teacher is one thing, but friending on social networking sites is too personal. 
MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Teachers and FB WDWWT?

• edited December 2011
    I have not accepted passed students as friends, and they are in college. Nope.

I have responded by saying hello and asking about school, but that's it. I think they got the message.
  • pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    DD was very close to her drama teacher, her rule is she friends them after graduation.  Thats the only 1 she ever friended or wanted to!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A friend of DH's has two college aged former students as friends.  That wouldn't bother me, but middle or high school heck no.  I don't even think they should be on fb.
  • edited December 2011
    past

I just have no desire to see the drunk photos or read their stupid post. I do enough eye rolling from my own friends.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am friends with a former teacher from HS.  Then again, that was more than 15 years ago. 

I certainly don't see friending current students or even recent students.  Maybe after college graduation or something.  Unless you are one of those people who is really strict about their FB usage and only use it to keep in touch vs. posting stuff on the regular.

• edited December 2011
    I could see using FB as a tool where the teacher can post homework reminders, allow students to post questions, or pos links to resources. A seperate group page would work for that.

MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

DH has accepted friend requests from a few students, but then promptly hid their status updates.  College students are (technically) adults, so it is a little different.  But I can see how some teachers might enjoy that level of communication with former students.  I don't see how it is hypcritical to not allow them access to FB in class but still be friends with them on FB.  There is such a thing as responsible FB usage in your own time.  And it may help them understand the kids a little more (and vice versa).

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have a few teachers in my life I considered friends/mentors that I would consider friending...
    but I'd nt friend someon eunder 18 and even though my student workers and students I deal w/ now are adults, I don't friend 'em.  There's still a 'supervisor/employee' relationship I dont want to mess w/.

Now, the student worker I have now who is graduating and will be only a friend after next semester?  I'll accept a request at that point. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards