Wedding Reception Forum

CUTE or TACKY?

I need your opinions! Is this wedding cake server set cute or tacky? TIA!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31uzyniFWoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: CUTE or TACKY?

• IMO, a huge waste of $$.  When will you ever use it again?  At least with a more traditional cake cutter/server, it's got potential for use after the wedding.

Actually, I see no reason at all to buy a knife or server.  Chances are better than good that the venue will have one and you don't need to spend you money on it at all.  But if you are compelled to get a set, at least get something elegant and re-usable.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • It is only $18.00, and also if I got a regular one, I would never use it again. Venue doesn't have one....I'm still undecided....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, you might use a cake knife again.  You certainly have a better shot of using one that isn't shaped like a bride and groom.  You can find sets that are equally inexpensive that don't look so cutesy.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • trix has a good idea. here I am thinking I should spend money on a knife and serve and such ... but in reality it's all frivolous and will most likely collect dust. Does anyone ever leave a wedding discussing the serving utensils?? Just use whatever your caterer has. Spend the money on something else.
  • I think it's cute but not for your wedding. Maybe for your bridal shower or engagement party. I know most people say that you will never use it again, but my mom and dad still had and uses theirs. When not i use it's in the china cabinet for people to see, right next to the marriage licence and cake topper!
  • I'm not loving it!

My daughter's venue didn't have a set that could be used and told me that when brides don't have a set they're always scrounging in the kitchen trying to find something that doesn't look horrible in the pictures.  She ended up buying a rather inexpensive set from someplace like Michael's or Wal-Mart.  It was in the bridal section but didn't scream "wedding" at all. 

If you must buy something, go for something plain; you'll find plenty of uses for it over the years.  Really, when "Junior" has all his little 8-year old friends over for his birthday, is that the knife you want him to use to cut his cake?

• When will you ever use that type of cutlery again? Save your money and use a regular knife that the caterer has on hand. A butterknife cuts cake just fine.
  • I don't think it's cute or tacky, though it's definitely not my style. I didn't buy one and just used what the venue had. But if I had to buy one, I would have bought one that I could continue to use at home. (As for when would you use it at home? Any time you cut a cake.)  
  • cute;) 
    BUT- will you be using these after the wedding...no, probebly not.  Perhaps if you do go with these, you might want to sell them afterward?

judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
  • I would ask your Mom, Aunt, Grandma etc. if you can borrow a cake serving set. It saves a little and adds sentiment. :)
  • I don't like it, but I wouldn't call it tacky. It's just childish and silly.
  • Meh.  I'm not overwhelmed with the cuteness of it.  I love the ribbon idea around an ordinary cake server.  I'm sure someone in your family has one already...
  • It's definitely NMS and I would say more on the tacky side.

I agree that you should invest in a more versatile cake serving set that you can use after the wedding. Think birthday parties, anniversaries, serving pie on holidays.. you should be able to get more use out of a knife and server set beyond just the wedding. If not, ask your parents or friends if they have a set you could borrow for just the wedding. HTH!
  • Not tacky, but a little cheesy.  But my tolerance for cheesy stuff at weddings is really low. 

We registered for a cake serving set that matched the rest of our flatware and got them at our shower.  They are really pretty and simple, and I've used them twice to serve cake/pie since we've been married.  I'm totally the type to do stuff like that, but I thought that worked out well. 
  • honestly, no one is going to notice your cake server or care. If you like it, get it. If you don't, why do you care what we think? this is a really small detail.

that said, I think it's tacky. 
  • edited February 2010
    If you're having a whimsical, fun theme at your wedding, then these will fit right in. If your decor is understated and elegant, you may want to skip these since they won't match. Then again, the only people who will see them up close is you and your groom.
    The most important opinion here is yours. Will your groom appreciate them? If you're planning on doing the shove the cake in your honey's face act, then these will fit the mood.
    I agree with other posts that you will probably never use them again, but when I got married I wanted all the traditional wedding hoopla, so I got a cake serving set.
    Hope you have fun!
    Nancy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards