Second Weddings

Just need to vent about the "joys" of remarriage....

So, my FI's ex-wife is a little "off", to put it mildly. His kids are great, but he has 50/50 custody and she refuses to co-parent. Everything becomes a great big drama, down to the boys' hats and mittens. Things have been really tense lately and the strain is really beginning to show in my relationship with FI. It's not the kids, it's dealing with his ex. I won't go into the details, but just say that this is not what I thought I was getting into. Again, the kids are great. I really, really like them. It's just the drama that comes along with them. I know when you date/marry someone with kids, you date the kids too. I just didn't realize I'd also be dating/marrying the ex.

And, his mother is even more "off". She thinks he and his ex-wife should get back together. And told him that. And then he told me that. The point that he was trying to make was that his mother was slipping mentally and couldn't understand that they were not getting back together. Anyway, while I get the point he was trying to make, it certainly didn't make me feel any better - especially since a few weeks earlier the little one made a comment about "when mom moves back in". Huh? I tried not to make a big deal of it, but asked with a smile on my face (trying to make him not feel like I was mad or hurt) "then where would the dog and I go?" He said, "you can get an apartment." Ouch. So, still reeling a bit from that - even though I know it's really normal and most kids in a divorced family want mom and dad back together - we get a Christmas card from FI's mother addressed to Mr and Mrs. I wanted to throw up.

Just needed to vent. He's trying to be understanding, but he really has his hands full with his mother and his ex. They're both crazy and part of me feels like if things don't settle down soon, I'll be right there with them.

My new year's resolution is to do a better job ignoring this stuff, but dang it's hard.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just need to vent about the "joys" of remarriage....

• Wow.  That's a lot to deal with!  If you can just ignore it and move on, you're a stronger woman than I ever will be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "He's trying to be understanding, but he really has his hands full with his mother and his ex. They're both crazy and part of me feels like if things don't settle down soon, I'll be right there with them.

My new year's resolution is to do a better job ignoring this stuff, but dang it's hard. "

I'm sure you are just venting, which is fine by me. I understand the entire "ex" problem + kids problem. I've dealt with it from ALL angles, being the "ex", having my own child dealing with an ex's new wife, having my other child deal with my ex who was not his dad, and now dealing with my new hubby's kids. It can be EXHAUSTING

I think you have it a bit backwards: you need to be the understanding one, and he needs to deal with the ex. The ex is the reason there are issues surrounding the kids, it's not the kids. When issues arise for your fiance with his ex or kids, walk away, even physically to another room. Be Switzerland: an understanding but impartial party in their war. Yes it is damn hard. Support him in his efforts, and if you find his efforts continue to involve you in the drama, provide your input if asked, otherwise just be supportive. If you find the direction of the relationship between the two of you is not going in a good direction (from your perspective), then get to pre-marital counseling for the two of you.

Good luck.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_just-need-vent-joys-of-remarriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:3afff971-1e16-4cf0-a383-a81091a9f115Post:c86b7d07-b277-4dc9-8077-400271588fe9">Re: Just need to vent about the "joys" of remarriage....</a>:
    [QUOTE]"He's trying to be understanding, but he really has his hands full with his mother and his ex. They're both crazy and part of me feels like if things don't settle down soon, I'll be right there with them. My new year's resolution is to do a better job ignoring this stuff, but dang it's hard. " I'm sure you are just venting, which is fine by me. I understand the entire "ex" problem + kids problem. I've dealt with it from ALL angles, being the "ex", having my own child dealing with an ex's new wife, having my other child deal with my ex who was not his dad, and now dealing with my new hubby's kids. It can be EXHAUSTING<strong> I think you have it a bit backwards: you need to be the understanding one</strong>, and he needs to deal with the ex. The ex is the reason there are issues surrounding the kids, it's not the kids. When issues arise for your fiance with his ex or kids, walk away, even physically to another room. Be Switzerland: an understanding but impartial party in their war. Yes it is damn hard. Support him in his efforts, and if you find his efforts continue to involve you in the drama, provide your input if asked, otherwise just be supportive. If you find the direction of the relationship between the two of you is not going in a good direction (from your perspective), then get to pre-marital counseling for the two of you. Good luck.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that probably came out wrong. What I meant was he's understanding of when I need a break and just have to walk away from it for a bit but I don't want him to feel like he's on his own with this stuff either.

It just gets a little overwhelming at times since I'm still getting used to the kid stuff. I'm a very involved step-mother to be. Basically our house operates like there are two parents, their mother acts more like a babysitter. So, while I do need to be there for him, he is trying to be understanding of what an adjustment this is for me too. I went from a dog and a cat to be a mother of two young boys half the time.

We have discussed counseling and he is not at all opposed to it, but right now there are some kid issues that are requiring him to do counseling with the boys and their mother. Our relationship issues are taking a bit of a backseat until the kid stuff gets straightened out. I know that doesn't sound right either, but I'm not sure how else to say it. Although if he can get that resolved, that will alleviate a lot of our issues.

Thanks for the support!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, you are right, the relationship issues should be taking a back seat. Hopefully his issues with the ex will work themselves out and you both will be left with the kinder, gentler ex Laughing

And, in my post I totally forgot about the years I lived with a man in Massachusetts who was divorced and had 2 kids...........I was 21 when I met him, and like you, had no kids of my own. That was a LOOOOONG time ago, and now that I read your post I remember how totally flummoxed I felt dealing with being sort of a "step parent" when he had them every other weekend and I had no experience. Luckily we had no "ex" issues.
  • I feel In the same situation, and truth is you can not always put your relationship last. His ex is crazy and his kids would prefer them to be back together. Luckily, Jason always put me first, and still looks out for his kids needs at the same time
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards