Rhode Island
Options

What questions should you ask a venue?

I just started searching for venues. We have a long list of about 10 places that we're narrowing down slowly but surely (we have PLENTY of time until our March 2014 wedding). I'm wondering what kinds of questions I need to be asking these places. 

I've got the big ones down - Do you have a ceremony space, can you handle my small wedding, what are your guarantees, do you have any off season rates, and the like, but i want to make sure i'm not overlooking anything.

I also feel like I should say that though it says that I live in "outer boroughs" (Seriously!? way to ostricize brooklynites), I grew up in SK and have always thought of myself as a Rhode Islander at heart, even if I can't be a townie anymore. I used to be annoyed by tourists (still am), and want to assure you, I'm not one!

Thanks!
~ NOT A TOURIST!

Re: What questions should you ask a venue?

• Options
    When I was searching minimums (people and food & beverage) were key because we are a small wedding.  
    You can also ask:
    Venue Rental Fee
    Event End Time
    Caterering - exclusive caterer vs. list of options vs. any caterer
    Tables & Chairs - are these included in venue fee or are they extra?  (Basically what is included in the venue fee.)

I'm sure others will chime in with more.
  • Options
    Some of the others that we were asking were:

- Do they offer the option to extend the length of the reception?  If so, for how much and at what point would we need to decide if we were extending?

- My fiance and I are planning an early November wedding, and this may be applicable to March as well - we wanted to know what both indoor and outdoor options were available and how much in advance we needed to decide which way we were going to go

- To add to what Molly&Andy was saying - asking about tables and chairs, and also what linens (if any) are included.  Also, what kinds of tables and chairs they include (for example, we want to have one Tuscan style table the rest round)

- Is there an event coordinator assigned to your wedding to help run the day?  We looked at some places that literally just gave the space but that was it.

- Who is responsible for set-up and clean-up?

- Generally, what other fees should you expect so that you can know what the full cost will be

Hope this is helpful!
  • Options
    Oh and one more I'll add (in case this is important to you) - for the bar, do they require that it closes 30 minutes prior to the end of the event or can it stay open until the end?
  • Options
    all good questions. make sure you ask about additional fees, how taxes are calculated (as it helps determine the $ allocated in budget) Ours had 22% slapped ontop of all food/drink just not on the rental fee. Coat check/security/what linens/chairs/tables are provided or fees are little things its good to ask about from the beginning. Also if they have a dollar miniumum as ours had $10k for firday night, see if the bar is included in that. We purchased beverage jars of sangria for the cocktail hour but anything else people purchased from the cash bar was also included into our minimum we had to hit.

Good luck! Its exciting and daunting on the budget to pick a venue. At least for me it was.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! This is incredibly helpful!

I'm so frustrated with some of these vendors. I might have mentioned that I live in NY and grew up in Rhody. I'm trying to do preliminary stuff via email (it's easier that way since my Fiancee works nights to keep us on the same page) and these planners are contstantly dropping him off emails or not answering all the questions I'm asking. One venue has asked me 3 times how many people we're looking to host without even answering the basic question of "what are your venue fees".

It's 2012, right? Is it unreasonable for me to expect these people to be able to communicate professionally via email, or is that too NY of me? My mom seems to think I should be calling all these people instead of emailing them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards