Chinese Weddings
Options

Tea Ceremony Attire?

Hellllo Knotties! :)

It's been such a long time since I've posted -- hope everyone is doing well with the wedding plans!

I wanted to just see for those ladies doing the tea ceremonies -- did you do it or do you plan to do it in your white wedding dress or in your traditional Asian dress (if you have one)?

My mom says that brides she's seen typically do the tea ceremony in the white dress and that my red qipao is actually supposed to be the big "ta da" at the reception.  Is this true?  Did it matter to your parents?

TIA! :)

Re: Tea Ceremony Attire?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was planning on doing the tea ceremony during the cocktail hour and wearing my white gown.  I told my mom, and she told me I should wear my qipao for the tea ceremony... so right now I am planning on wearing my qipao for the tea ceremony but I don't want to change out of my white gown and then back in after the tea ceremony.. Not sure what to do, myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alko:  I think it all depends WHEN you're having the tea ceremony.  If it's in the morning, I think most brides wear their qi pao or qwa for the tea ceremony if they have one, although a lot nowadays wear their white dress because they don't want to change in and out of their dresses for the tea ceremony and then church.  I wanted to wear my qi pao for the tea ceremony because it just fits with tradition...but it's really up to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it's up to you and if you want to change so many times. the actual tradition is to wear "kua" (the 2 piece dress), so if you're wearing the qi pao then you're not really sticking to the real tradition anyways. so do what suits you best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing the ceremony in the morning at my parents' house, so I think I'll wear the qipao purely because it's the most convenient way of doing things, and is a little more fitting, even if it's not completely following tradition.

Thanks for the input, ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_chinese-weddings_tea-ceremony-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:397Discussion:c691f8af-4d2a-49ef-9838-61e902a25af4Post:cb666ff0-d009-4589-abe6-3a952af2e095">Re: Tea Ceremony Attire?</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's up to you and if you want to change so many times. the actual tradition is to wear "kua" (the 2 piece dress), so if you're wearing the qi pao then you're not really sticking to the real tradition anyways. so do what suits you best.
    Posted by jsmlo[/QUOTE]

I've been told that only Aantonese wear kuas; I've never seen any non-Cantonese brides wear qipaos at weddings..  Qipao for me, at least, is the real tradition (so I was told). ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nowadays, modern chinese people wear either qi pao or kwa (or both).  I think that both are very common so there's no right or wrong way.  I like the qi pao more myself :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    exactly... it doesn't really matter nowadays because it's so common to do either. and a lot of brides like qipao because it's more figure flattering

plus not everyone is doing red either
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup, one of my qipaos is pink (and I never thought I'd wear pink on my wedding day) :D
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    heleng5heleng5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to wear my qipao for the tea ceremony
    all my couins wore their qipaos as well
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards