Not Engaged Yet
Options

Random vent about expenses

I love living in Vancouver, but the living expenses make it impossible for anyone under the age of 40 to function! A tiny house in a bad part of town can cost 300 grand and don't even get me started about actually LIVING in Vancouver....for 300 grand you can't even buy a room!

What's your random vent today about expenses?

Re: Random vent about expenses

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012
    I'm still annoyed that the wedding cake I want is going to cost over $700.  I feel like, for $700, it should be iced in gold and have no calories.
  • Options
    Gas.... its killing me to fill up my tank just to make it to and from work.  Soon I'll have to figure out how to sell my belongings to afford it.  $4.39 a gallon! and that's the regular gas. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:cb0f10de-323a-4e44-babc-3462f5b12093">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still annoyed that the wedding cake I want is going to cost over $700.  I feel like, for $700, it should be iced in gold and have no calories.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Or a really hawt guy should pop out of it and feed you cake.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:53691650-e6e3-4e85-84be-53698e1c652f">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : Or a really hawt guy should pop out of it and feed you cake.
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

That would work, too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:cb0f10de-323a-4e44-babc-3462f5b12093">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still annoyed that the wedding cake I want is going to cost over $700.  <strong>I feel like, for $700, it should be iced in gold and have no calories.</strong>

I have no expenses to vent about today but wow $700 for cake?!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:45ca1d80-23bf-42b3-8ba7-26e62b1ea7d9">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : I have no expenses to vent about today but wow $700 for cake?!
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Yep.  $5 a slice.  I mean, it's delicious and all, but damn.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:4ede99ea-7a94-4217-aed9-c8c28f923a3a">Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love living in Vancouver, but the living expenses make it impossible for anyone under the age of 40 to function! A tiny house in a bad part of town can cost 300 grand and don't even get me started about actually LIVING in Vancouver....for 300 grand you can't even buy a room! What's your random vent today about expenses?
    Posted by xweddingbutterflyx[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I grew up in an area that you can't even buy an APARTMENT for under 800k.  And Boston isn't cheap either.

Sigh... I REALLY need to hit the lotto.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:cf490c0c-7314-4322-bcaf-06cfbec6bb25">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : Yep.  $5 a slice.  I mean, it's delicious and all, but damn.

What type of cake is it?

• Options
    I'm with Lyn on the gas vent. I paid 62$ to fill my car today, that's ridiculous! It's just a tiny car and I fill with regular gas, should be much cheaper! I paid 1.31$/L today and I'm not impressed. 

I'm also frustrated with the cost of living where I do. Houses are supposed to be cheap, but I feel like we paid the same amount as everyone we know back down south. Plus, we pay more for everything else (groceries, hydro, water, etc) just because this is a big city in the middle of nowhere and they can get away with it. 
  • Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    Our cake is $700. It is lemon with raspberry filling, and it is free of fat and calories... that is a lie. It is full of tasty fat and calories! nomnom

I had to sign a 5 month lease that increases my monthly rent payment by $142 and it freakin' sucks.

• Options
    Gas, fo' sho'. It's up to $3.50/gallon by me...if you pay with cash. If you pay with a credit or debit card, it's $3.60/gallon. Boooo. My only saving grace is that my new job is 12 miles closer to my apartment than my last job, and I avoid major highways. So $10 worth of gas in my tank goes a little bit longer.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:1c57cf68-5919-482e-854c-2e185f9947b2">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with Lyn on the gas vent. <strong>I paid 62$ to fill my car today, that's ridiculous! It's just a tiny car and I fill with regular gas, should be much cheaper! </strong>I paid 1.31$/L today and I'm not impressed.  I'm also frustrated with the cost of living where I do. Houses are supposed to be cheap, but I feel like we paid the same amount as everyone we know back down south. Plus, we pay more for everything else (groceries, hydro, water, etc) just because this is a big city in the middle of nowhere and they can get away with it. 
    Posted by QuiltingNurse[/QUOTE]

That sucks! It usually costs me about $40-ish to fill up my car. It sounds like you ladies live in some expensive places!

• Options
    Any WR expense... ahh. I'm so fed up already.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2012
    The cost of any & every WR thing in this area makes me want to rip my hair out. 

ETA: For what we pay to live in an apartment in the scary part of Jersey City we could have a 3 bedroom house with a yard in Delaware. 

• Options
    Definitely fed up with the gas prices in CA...seriously $4.39 a gallon?  I really don't get why it just randomly goes up and down all the time either..so stupid.  I'm just glad I'm not commuting in the Bay Area any more.

• Options
    You guys could all just move to WI Laughing. Our mortgage payment is less then what my friend was paying to rent a two bedroom one bath appartment and we have a two car garage plus almost a half acre of land.

Oh and WR stuff is cheaper then some areas too! lol

However, gas just jumped up to $3.74 gallon of reg. since this morning

• Options
    Elle, where are you getting your cake from?? $5/a slice seems to be a lot!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:324920db-6aa3-4205-a64e-9bd945e8be08">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elle, where are you getting your cake from?? $5/a slice seems to be a lot!
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

Bavarian Cakery.  It's sooo NOM.  But yeah, $5 is really high.  So we might be reconsidering our decision.  We haven't booked them yet or anything.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:cc4d70b1-eb43-4484-b424-b0c4f770e3af">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : Bavarian Cakery.  It's sooo NOM.  But yeah, $5 is really high.  So we might be reconsidering our decision.  We haven't booked them yet or anything.
    Not to brag or anything ::ahem:: but our cake was less than 4 dollars a serving and it was fvcking fantastic (250ish, including delivery for 70 people). There is still some in our freezer. . . hmmmmmm, might have to break into a slice for our 5 monthiversary?<div>
    </div><div>In all seriousness, it is worth shopping around. We went for a smaller bakery that was just starting out and willing to do a small cake for cutting with sheet cakes in the same flavor to serve the masses. But then again, if you want a giant gorgeous cake, I won't judge you <3 </div><div>
    </div><div>I am annoyed at the cost of groceries and our rent, but that is what you get for living in a big city. I can't wait to live somewhere else soon. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:5027f3b6-cb24-41cc-8a8d-556db498f9ac">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : Not to brag or anything ::ahem:: but our cake was less than 4 dollars a serving and it was fvcking fantastic (250ish, including delivery for 70 people). There is still some in our freezer. . . hmmmmmm, might have to break into a slice for our 5 monthiversary? In all seriousness, it is worth shopping around. We went for a smaller bakery that was just starting out and willing to do a small cake for cutting with sheet cakes in the same flavor to serve the masses.<strong> But then again, if you want a giant gorgeous cake, I won't judge you</strong> <3  I am annoyed at the cost of groceries and our rent, but that is what you get for living in a big city. I can't wait to live somewhere else soon. 
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you know how some girls grow up dreaming about their wedding days and they fantasize about the dress or flowers or whatever?

Nope, not me.  All I've ever wanted is a great big delicious cake.

I'm such a fat kid.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:1757938b-27ee-47aa-8b59-d60e8b6e4e59">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : Then I say you should get it. <strong>You were budget conscious about the dress</strong> (and still look gorgeous) and you have been about everything else.. if the part of the wedding you've been dreaming of since you were a kid is the cake, you should get the damn cake. Amn definitely don't feel bad about it. :)
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

This is true...  I budgeted 1500 for my dress and only spent 800.  So that extra 700 could easily just be shunted to the cake budget...

...though I have no idea how much my alterations are going to cost.
  • Options
    If we're going to vent about something wedding related, I can deal with the wedding cupcakes, but I can't believe how much lighting is.  WTF one string of latern lights in a L-shape costs $575 for delivery and set up!
  • Options
    Too bad you don't live in B.C cause then I'd give you a great deal on the cakes we do :) hehe
  • Options
    Everything where I live is just expensive, it sucks.  

Anniversary

• Options
    Can I be angry that the housing market still blows!?!  BF and I are moving in together when my 1 bedroom lease ends, and he was planning on selling his condo this summer.  We were then planning on moving into a 2 bedroom rental where we could start socking away cash for a house purchase in the next few years.

His neighbor with the identical unit as his put her place on the market in the meantime, and has lowered her price $25,000 since putting it on in Dec.   BF isn't underwater, but with how aggressive the neighbor is pricing he'll have to bring money to the table at closing now.  GRRR!

And the building is now one unit shy of max rentals.   Monday another unit went up for rent, which will make it harder to get a mortgage for any potential buyer looking at his place and his association might not let him rent his place out either:(

We might just end up being very crunched in a one bedroom condo.  BF, me, the crazy cat, and my home office will make us super cozy;)

Here's to us all finding a magic money-making tree!
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    Kinkos costs too much. I was gonna be lazy and get new protest signs printed by them, but damn, I am not paying $86 for a 36x48 poster. So I have to go through and do srs bzns poster making. uggghhhh.

• Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:1675c4fc-66a5-46db-b5f4-7d1b6db16300">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kinkos costs too much. I was gonna be lazy and get new protest signs printed by them, but damn, I am not paying $86 for a 36x48 poster. So I have to go through and do srs bzns poster making. uggghhhh.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Must ask what are you protesting?
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:f07cc4d3-7d5b-46cc-963c-5b6892a5b830">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random vent about expenses : Must ask what are you protesting?
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]
    Our household is fiercely anti-Scientology. That's how Tyler and I met -- at the first major global Anonymous v. Scientology protest held in Nashville :D. On Saturday, we will have known each other for four years and one month!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-vent-about-expenses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c225d1d7-e893-496c-9654-2aa65f896006Post:93ad09ec-4daf-46d9-b6f7-36c43c231c37">Re: Random vent about expenses</a>:
    [QUOTE]The cost of any & every WR thing in this area makes me want to rip my hair out.  ETA: For what we pay to live in an apartment in the scary part of Jersey City we could have a <strong>3 bedroom house with a yard in Delaware</strong>. 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

Very true but Delmarva (the electric/gas company) would suck the change right out of you lol.  So don't put a lot of lights around that yard!

Since it's Friday and I have to drop off a check to daycare again in a few hours, that is my monetary gripe of the day.  Seriously, my son is awesome.  She should be paying ME.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Meat and Cheese. BF and I try to buy meat and cheese in bulk, and only buy it every few weeks. Usually our grocery bills are around 50-70/week. This week, we bought meat and cheese, and the bill was like $120. Although the store we shop at has a bank and if you have a credit card or debit card with them and use that to buy groceries they give you points. BF used his points to get $40 off this week's grocery bill so it really only ended up costing us $80. Which isn't too bad.

BF and I are actually pretty lucky. The city we live in is really good for cost of living. You can buy a decent 3-4 bedroom house with a yard for $200,000-350,000 in a nice neighborhood. Ours is a small 4 bedroom (small in that every single room is tiny, including the kitchen and bathrooms), in a nice neighborhood. We have a garage and a yard and our house is probably worth about $200,000. Gas isn't too expensive (I spend about 45-55 to fill up, depending on how empty my car is) and commutes aren't too long, so I usually only fill up every 1.5-2 weeks. BF is closer to work than I am and he drives hybrid so he usually only spends like 60-70 a month on gas. I love my city and can't imagine living anywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards