Interracial Weddings

First dance song

What types of songs are people thinking of for interracial weddings? I'm Black and my FI is white, and I think culturally we (and propably our families) have different ideas of what makes up wedding music.

I've already let him know that there will not be any eighties stadium rock (or whatever that stuff is called)

Any ideas?

Re: First dance song

• My FI is white and I am black. We are playing whatever we like and what will keep people dancing.I dont believe in wedding music, just music. I do think playing a wider variety of musci may be more appealing to everyone. I am having our guest RSVP via weddingwire and they will be able to suggest songs for the reception. That way we can get an idea of what kind of music will get people going. I dont care. I'll be so happy, ill dance to anything. 
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • oh i forgot, our first dance is to Golden by Chrisette Michele.
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My Fi is black and I am white.  Yea anything you like and will keep people moving.  Maybe avoid profane or unedited music if you have young kids and/or squeamish older relatives.  I'm doing the same thing with the wedding wire rsvps and music requests.  The only 80s music we'll have is Michael Jackson!!!!  Based on our families backgrounds we'll probably try to mix in songs by bands that cross decades and cultures like Earth, Wind and Fire.  For the most part though it'll be what we like to dance to with our friends since they will be on the dance floor the most.  Another thing we are looking out for that we've been hearing in spin class is crazy mashups that everyone will love.  Last week our spin teacher played an MJ/Black Eye Peas mashup and a Kesha/EWF mashup....no lie!
  • Forgot our first dance song too.....Robin Thicke "Superman"
  • Ditto PP, play music that you and your FI love/like, especially for your First Dance. H and I didn't have a "song" so we just went through different songs we really like and found meaning in and chose one from there. 

As for the rest of the wedding, we played all kinds of music from pop, country, to hip hop. It was music that suited everyone's ears. 
  • We've started a list of songs, and whenever we find one that we both love and want played we add it. Hopefully we have enough by wedding time! If not, we'll likely fill in the rest with 80's stuff and James Brown.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • That is one the discussions that I don't know that we will agree upon... he likes rap and R&B, and I like country... I guess we will try the RSVP to musicmix as stated above, and give the names of songs to his brother, who is our DJ.... good luck to everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards