Favors

no favors?

My mom asked why i was going to give out favors. She said it's just a wasit of money, time and there is no point in having them.

I was wondering what you all thought about it.

have you been to a wedding where they didn't do favors if so what did you think???

Thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: no favors?

• edited December 2011

Favors are not necessary at all and I've never missed them at weddings where they weren't given out.

Use the money towards something else; perhaps upgrading or adding something to your food or drink for the night.

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A favor is very necessary in my opinion. I don't know when ppl starting thinking they were'nt. They're a way of showing your guests how much you appreciate them and there kindness. The least you can do is wrap up a couple of hershey kisses in some tulle with a little thank you tag. I don't think that would hurt the budget too much and I'm sure they won't go to waste either.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Really?  The meal, drinks, entertainment you're providing won't be enough of a thank you to your guests?  But if you add two Hershey's kisses wrapped in tulle all will be fine?  Really?

OP:  favors are another something dreamed up by the wedding industry to separate you from more of your $$.  They're not necessary and are often left behind~even the edibles.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favors-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:f0946d4b-84f6-4a81-a30e-c36be1fc4c6cPost:938682ed-9e98-419d-bb6d-7b28236171a1">Re: no favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really?  The meal, drinks, entertainment you're providing won't be enough of a thank you to your guests?  But if you add two Hershey's kisses wrapped in tulle all will be fine?  Really? OP:  favors are another something dreamed up by the wedding industry to separate you from more of your $$.  They're not necessary and are often left behind~even the edibles.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Couple in the informal sense!!!!

Most guests will usually monetarily gift the couple VERY genorously. In my eyes they are paying for themselves so a little token of appreciation like some kisses will go a long way. Trust me!

I have never been to a reception where edibles were left behind. Now I think you're making stuff up.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, but I'm not. 

I've been MOB and MOG in the past couple of years.  We just finished up the last of the lovely tulle wrapped m&m's from my DD's July wedding yesterday.

We carried home the edible favors from my son and DIL's wedding.  They were snacking for weeks.

As for the "covering your plate" discussion~let's not even go there.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I don''t know if I want favors as I'm 55.  do I need them to say thank  you? I don't think so. we have to be realistic in what really matters in a wedding. they are nice,.cute if you got the money and just want to add each piece of something the wedding industry wants you to buy.  jmhoo
  • edited December 2011
    We are also having a chocolate fountain at the reception. My mom thought mayeb it was a culture thing to have favors (on my Fl side) Because she has never heard of having favors at the wedding.

I was thinking about doing a candy buffet and having take home boxes for the guest to take what ever candy is left over!( that is what started this whole thing with my mom)

Thanks for all your input ladies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see the problem with not having favors, most of the time what people give as favors is really cheesy or cheap anyways IMO. I'm already paying for their dinner and drinks. I didn't have them at my first wedding, and the only reason I am having them at this one is because my mom wanted to buy them for everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they are a waste of time, effort, and money.  Half get left behind, and REALLY, REALLY, you think 2 hersheys kisses is going to make or break someone's opinion of you?

I have not left a wedding where I did not receive a favor and think "screw those guys, I bought them a toaster and I didn't even get a damn tulle sack of M&M's!!"
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favors-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:f0946d4b-84f6-4a81-a30e-c36be1fc4c6cPost:286248b8-6075-4d6b-9d12-b9b72ae7d4c7">Re: no favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think they are a waste of time, effort, and money.  Half get left behind, and REALLY, REALLY, you think 2 hersheys kisses is going to make or break someone's opinion of you? I have not left a wedding where I did not receive a favor and think "screw those guys, I bought them a toaster and I didn't even get a damn tulle sack of M&M's!!"
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

Wow...way to get all fired up over a favor question! Sorry if I offended you by sharing my opinon with the OP. I guess you forgot to put your big girl panties on today.
  • AFChic00AFChic00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ran into the same problem in regard to the favors.  I do agree with the ladies who posted that most people will probably not notice if you choose not to do favors.  I waited for the small candy bar wrappers to go on sale and went with those (got them for $10).  They are small and inexpensive and you can never go wrong with chocolate. 

http://weddingshop.theknot.com/weddingwarehouse/ProductPage.aspx?scId=Unique%20Favors(KnotShop)&pId=P373(KnotShop)&cId=Favors(KnotShop)&cTypF=&sscId=PersonalizedFavors(KnotShop)
  • edited December 2011
    yes, i have been to weddings with no favors....i am not doing favors at my wedding....we are donating to a charity.....and on the table, you just leave a small note that reads, "in lieu of favors, we have donated to the ___________ foundation"......

and if you can only afford a few dollars, no one will know how much you donated and you don't have to break the bank!  good luck
  • edited December 2011
    If you can think of something cute/meaningful as a favor, and it's in your budget, go for it. But if you're like me and would be throwing something together some tulle-wrapped sugar rush at last minute, I say what's the point? It's kind of a waste, of both time and money.

I went over budget on dinner by getting the roasted New York strip loin, so I think people might forgive me for nixing the favors. I know the men will anyways ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Favors are dumb...I have never kept a favor from any wedding Ive been to and not to mention the fact, I dont even remember the favors.  They end up getting left behind or thrown away.  I like the donation idea better...and shes right, they will never know how much you donated.  Sometimes you think favors are going to be cheap BUT often times one thing leads to another and theyre not.  Just print out a super pretty card and put it on each place setting.  Itll make the table look prettier too.
  • edited December 2011
    Come to think of it, I just went to a wedding with no favors, wait, it was two actually. Two weddings with no favors. And I didn't even realize until now, when I read the question and had to think about it. I guess they really are not important since I didn't realize they were missing.
  • edited December 2011
    Fi and I will not have favors but I am trying to convince him that we should have welcome bags, since we are hosting a DW. I think we should do this because we are asking so much of our guests as far as travel (wedding is in Aruba) and it would be nice for them to have items they can use on the trip.

Favors are definitely falling out of style and I agree that the money can be spent elsewhere. We went to 2 weddings last summer and one gave favors--hersey's kisses in tulle--and the other did not. Some of the hershey's kisses are still uneaten on my bedroom dresser. Ultimately, it's up to you and what you're comfortable with.
  • ejoyce8ejoyce8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would't worry too much about gifts...i have been to plenty of weddings were gifts were left behind. I think the dinner, dancing, cake will be enough. I have coasters my in my house that were all left at a friends wedding and NEVER use the bottle opener from my sisters wedding. Do whatever you want to...this is your day!
    Anniversary bethandanthony.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    i don't think favors are necessary.  at all.  if you do decide to do a favor, i would do something edible. 

i've seen ideas on these boards for shot glasses, picture frames, coasters, etc.  i wouldn't want any of those things and i would definitely leave mine behind or toss it when i got home.  i'd rather you upgrade something at the ceremony (or just save the money) then use the money for something i don't want or need.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree favors are an important. I thought about not having any but after further review w/my fiance and family we are going to have something simple for our guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards