New Jersey

Beware of wedding photographers

So I attended a workshop a few weeks ago and met a few people.  One was a beginning photographer/model that I spoke to.  I agreed to take portraits of this person for their modeling comp card, and they told me how they were also attending workshops trying to learn more about photography.  Through their profile on the signup forum I found their facebook profile.  Since the workshop the person has been doing photoshoots and posting pictures on facebook.  Today I saw they started a side business focusing on weddings!  CRAZY!

This doesn't surprise me, there are so many photographers named on the forums now that I never heard of when I was looking for a photographer a two yrs ago.  It seems that most of these newbies (not all) name the company basically "their full name photography"  Make sure when you interview photographers you get an idea of the shooters experience and how long they have been in business. I am not saying someone new to the marketplace can't do a good job, but just make sure you know what you are getting.  A good photographer is a good photographer, but a good wedding photographer is a different animal in the industry.  It's not like doing portraits or landscapes where you have unlimited time to setup shots and nail the proper composition and exposures.

Anyway, a few givaways to look for:

1.  Cost, most of these newcomers are undercutting the competition
2.  No albums, just digital files - a lot of these newbies are not getting involved with the costs or hassles of albums, and only offer digital files or prints.
3.  Professional marketing tools - They should have a website with a custom URL, business cards, a phone number other than a cell phone, proper event insurance, professional looking contracts, and last, an email other than a hotmail account!

Hope this helps!
1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy

Re: Beware of wedding photographers

• edited December 2011
    even though i picked our photographer already i loved how you took the time to write this up!! thanks
  • tvlirenetvlirene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    User you hit the nail on the head.  What some new photographers are also doing...showing sample albums and passing the photos as their own.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes photo theft is a huge problem.  Although copyright is automatically given to the photographer that took the picture, no damages can be collected unless the photos are registered with the copyright office (there is a fee for this).  Many people are now  doing this since pro photos are being stolen and used for advertising, facebook, and other things.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Excellent post User!!!  I think it is defintiely something that everyone should keep in mind.  In this economy a lot of people have tried to find new careers... wedding photography seems to be a big one.  In fact, one of my Facebook friends quit her job last week to start a wedding photography business... (I have no idea what her credentials or experience are).

And those of us who have been around for a while I'm sure remember when it seemed like 90% of MG knotties were becoming either wedding planners or invitation designers on the side after their weddings.  Less risky than photography, but still... there are a lot of novices out there.  Planning a nice wedding doesn't mean you know what to do when the limo doesn't show any more than the bride does.

To Irene's point -- I will add that people should be careful about that with ANY newcomer to the wedding industry.  After my wedding, a friend of my sister's saw my pro wedding pictures on Facebook and asked my sister if she could have copies of the high res files.  Apparently she was starting a new wedding planning business and wanted to put photos of my wedding (which she had no involvement in) in her portfolio...
  • edited December 2011

This is a great post--I agree with everything that has been mentioned.

• edited December 2011
    that was so sweet of you, User.  thanks for the tips!  i was checking off each thing you mentioned in my head.  phew!  my guy is legit....
    thanks again!  =)
  • edited December 2011
    I do agree with most, but I have to say...the album/marketing tools/contracts etc are perfect, just careful with things like "newbie photographers are naming their places full name photography" and the email thing...I made a HUGE mistake and they fit EVERYTHING you just said, I think you have to check the experience, make sure things look the same (albums, photos, websites) if someone is using other pictures (like Victoria said with hers) none are going to look the same, keep your eye on the pictures, and get refs, I made those mistakes with my first one.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. Thanks for posting this, User.
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Equipment is another giveaway.  Most of us are probably not going to know different models of camera or lenses, but you want to know that they have multiples of EVERYTHING (camera bodies, flashes, lenses) and we actually asked to see it.  I think this would weed out a lot of wedding photographer wannabees.

• edited December 2011
    To make matters worse, I just saw a posting on craigslist from a NJ wedding photographer that double booked a date and is looking for a shooter to cover.....LOL  I am sure he will find great quality on craigslist!  LOL
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards