Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Bluegrass for a Rustic Adirondack Wedding

I am newly engaged and planning already for a wedding thats two years away. I am usually a procrasinator this is a very unlike me. I am having a wedding/reception in the Adirondacks. I want it simple, rustic and overall fun. I really want to incorporate bluegrass into my wedding. Not sugar coated pop country that plays now. I know a few songs from some artists already. The Avett Brothers, "January Wedding" and "Swept Away", The Civil Wars "Forget Me Not", and for the reception, Old Crow Medicine Show, "Humdinger". I am looking for suggestions and directions.

Thanks!

Re: Bluegrass for a Rustic Adirondack Wedding

• I do want to toss out there that I wouldn't play all bluegrass.  I wouldn't play all of any genre, you need to mix it up.  Just as I wouldn't want to sit through 3 or 4 hours of nothing but jazz, opera, or hip hop, I would stick my eye with my fork if I had to deal with all blue grass for 3 or 4 hours.

Remember - the reception is for your guests so make sure they will enjoy what you choose - mix some blue grass in with the other genres and you can't lose.
  • We're doing EXACTLY what you're planning on doing, except for a barn wedding in Ohio.  We love The Avett Brothers, Old Crow, Mumford & Sons, Civil Wars, etc.  We plan on using an iPod to play some other stuff in between breaks and during dinner, but the main act while be a band we hired that caters to bluegrass and folk music.  We found them at a music festival and just simply asked them if they would be willing to play our wedding and they obliged.  And they were considerably cheaper in price than a regular ol' wedding band that plays the same songs you hear at every wedding.  A lot of our friends will truly enjoy it and it's just "us".  For me, I don't want to do what everyone else is doing.  I want our wedding to reflect "us". 

Good luck in your search!  I think it sounds wonderful.  :-)
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • So you are looking to hire a local Adirondack band? I'd write to the folks at Adirondack Weddings Magazine, http://adirondack-weddings.com/

Their online directory doesn't yet have bands listed, but they should be able to point you in the right direction. One of my friends wrote to ask about a dress in the print magazine and the editor responded right away with the designer's name. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards