Favors

is a 'family recipe book' a lame favor?

Hi knotties-I need some honest advice on whether or not this is a lame favor. I was thinking about asking the guests coming to the wedding to send us thier favorite family recipies.  I was going to compile them into a little book (through vista print) and give them out as favors.
Is this the kind of thing that gets left on the table/put in the trash?
thanks!

Re: is a 'family recipe book' a lame favor?

• I would probably take it and at least leave it on my shelf of cookbooks for a while.  If I went a year and didn't use it I'd throw it away.   It's worth a shot anyway:-)

DSC_9275
  • IMO, I think this is a know your crowd situation.  Are there a lot of cooks on your guest list? Do they use cookbooks?  Do you have a lot of people who like new recipes or who are looking for sentimental family favorites?  What happens if you get 14 recipes for chocolate chip cookies and another 12 for coleslaw?  I think this would be cute for a bridal shower but I'm not sure it would "go" at a wedding. 

Maybe think about doing cookie jars - you know the mason jars with dry ingredients for a batch of cookies.  Or something edible with the family recipe - brownies, chocolates, some sort of bar or square.  You could do half as your favorite recipe and half as your FI's - with the full receipe as part of the tag in either case.
    Anniversary

• I wouldn't ask your guests to do anything beyond just showing up to your wedding.  On our wedding website, we asked guests to post songs that they wanted to hear at the reception.  We didn't get one request.  Maybe it's just my crowd, but if people didn't simply type in a song title, I have a hard time picturing people typing up a recipe. 

What if you baked your favorite cookie and wrapped it up with the recipe as your favor for your guests?
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'd probably just ask your immediate family for recipes, rather than make work for all of your guests (and rely on them to come through).  Personally, since I like to cook, I think giving out cookbooks is an awesome idea. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards