Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake dilemma

I just found out earlier this year that I cant eat wheat (I dont have celiac diesease it just makes me REALLY sick) before I knew I had problems with gluten I was kinda "eh" about a cake anyways, I was leaning towards this place in Reno (where I live) that makes the most AMAZING bundt cakes you have ever tasted. but now.. well that isnt going to happen. :( So I know that they make gluten free cakes, although finding a bakery up here that does wheat free cakes is tough, also the ones I did find cost your first born child. AKA totally out of my budget. I have contemplated making a GF cake, but thats a big endevour that I really dont want to partake on on my wedding day, my other option is GF cupcakes, same problem with a whole lot of work. I have debated about having a "dessert bar" cause I have seen a few of those used in wedding, is there anything else anyone else suggests?

Re: Cake dilemma

• Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well if you want to serve cakes or cupcakes to your guests, could you have a small GF cake for you & your FI to cut/eat?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KaitlinRichKaitlinRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure what exactly your tastes are and what you like to eat but you can def make a compromise and do something new. My FI cannot stand sweets (I think it is weird...) but I wanted to do something that he would like for a groom's cake (he loves bread...) so we are having all types of breads [sweet, poppyseed, regular, etc.] and with some fruit arranged for color. I know you can't do wheat but my point in telling you that was to maybe go with something you do like.

I hope this helps and good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anything is acceptable these days, my cousin had brownie sundaes for their "cake" and it was a huge hit. Being different adds flare!
  • Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend get married this summer who made a tiered cake out of rice crispy treats. They drizzled chocolate on it, decorated it with flowers. It was really pretty. I will see if I can find a picture of it. They made a practice one a month or so before the wedding. It was a big hit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do creme brulée for everyone! Instead of the cutting of the cake, do the cracking of the brulée! That's my favourite non-traditional idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend of mine do a chocolate fondue waterfall because she wasn't a big cake fan, and you still get to give eachother the first bite!
  • Options
    HiddenPawHiddenPaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a co-worker who just loved pie, so they had pie instead of cake.  Pie might not cut it for your gluten-avoidance, but you could do a crumble or something (with oatmeal instead of flour for the topping, etc.)  Any kind of sweet that lots of people can eat is a good substitute for cake. 

Or, what about an ice cream sundae bar, or other ice cream service.  I know that Ben and Jerry's and some gelato places can come to your event and serve your guests.

Or, you could have "regular" cake for your guests, and something else for you and/or your fiance.
  • Options
    BRwedding2011BRwedding2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about an edible fruit arrangement instead...a nice healthy alternative to cake
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just have the top tier make GF and cut that.  Everyone else can have regular cake.
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Cousin had an all ice cream cake due to a wheat allergy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards