March 2013 Weddings

Sort of, just kind of, freaking out!

I have just arrived here and feel like I'm a little late to the party! =) Though my FI and I have been talking about marriage for over a year, we just got engaged this week (on halloween, which surprised me!) and have a date of March 23. We wanted a short engagement and as we are having a semi-small wedding, I know it is totally do-able. But, I keep thinking--it's only a little over 4.5 months away and there's so much to do! My next priorities are finding a dress (of which I have ideas for and am not super picky about) and figuring out the venue for sure. Again, that's not a huge issue for us--it might be at our small church, or in one of our parent's backyards if neccessary. We decided the date was more important to us than the details, so we're choosing to work it out no matter what! 

I have lots of ideas, a circle of family and friends willing to help and lots of DIY inspiration from pinterest. I know that I need to get invitations out about 3 months in advance because we can't do save the dates, and making sure we have food, a venue and attire nailed down ASAP. Any other tips of things to focus on to get things in order??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sort of, just kind of, freaking out!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_sort-of-just-kind-of-freaking-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:bfdf551c-8820-4e6b-9e89-0e1a4982f096Post:66cc3cba-129c-4241-9cc7-af07915af758">Sort of, just kind of, freaking out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have just arrived here and feel like I'm a little late to the party! =) Though my FI and I have been talking about marriage for over a year, we just got engaged this week (on halloween, which surprised me!) and have a date of March 23. We wanted a short engagement and as we are having a semi-small wedding, I know it is totally do-able. But, I keep thinking--it's only a little over 4.5 months away and there's so much to do! My next priorities are finding a dress (of which I have ideas for and am not super picky about) and figuring out the venue for sure. Again, that's not a huge issue for us--it might be at our small church, or in one of our parent's backyards if neccessary. We decided the date was more important to us than the details, so we're choosing to work it out no matter what!  I have lots of ideas, a circle of family and friends willing to help and lots of DIY inspiration from pinterest. I know that I need to get invitations out about 3 months in advance because we can't do save the dates, and making sure we have food, a venue and attire nailed down ASAP. Any other tips of things to focus on to get things in order??
    Posted by jcsangelpen[/QUOTE]

I have been feeling the same way! I have been engaged for a month but I feel like I am way late for everything. I am getting married on March 30th. It took me three photographers and two dj's before finding one that wasnt already booked! I though a short engagment would be fine untill then. But we will get through this! oh and btw Pintrest is the BEST I am getting tons of DIY projects and inspiration on there!
    Good Luck!!
  • In wedding world it is late but like you said it can be done! I started planning a little late according to the wedding calander and had to change a few things accordingly- like my wedding date. We wanted the 23rd but we will now be celbrating the 24th lol. Just try not to get overwhelmed and try to relax. I still don't have a wedding dress myself but almost everything else is taken care of. Good luck to the both of you and welcome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My good friend just pulled off a wedding in 3 months... due to military moving and numerous other things they decided on a short engagement so she could move with him. It can be done, but you gotta work fast. Like you said, I would try to nail down and get my vendors scouted out asap! You will run into a lot of people being booked, but there is still plenty out there. Dress would be super important because you never know with arrival times. My wedding is also on March 23rd, I order my dress the beginning of Oct and if will come in by the last week of Feb. That leaves me just enough time to get it altered and on me for the big day.
    If you are not already on pinterest i recommend doing that, but only commit to projects you know you will be able to do with the time crunch. Have fun planning and enjoy the DIY crafts. That is by far my favorite so far is crafting with my FI.
    The boards are super helpful and a great place to ask questions and get opinions as you plan. I can't wait to see what you have in store! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome and congrats! I think a good tool is actually TK's checklist. It's pretty extensive and gives a good idea of when things should be done. Obviously things are different for everyone but I'd focus on the "overdue" things first, which are going to be those big things. Remember that people don't usually remember all the little details of the day - they remember if they had a good time. So don't stress too much over the little things. Also, if you have friends or family that have offered to help - don't be afraid to ask them! They could help you put together centerpieces, address invitations, even make a few phone calls for you if needed.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions at all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Thanks everyone! It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to pull this together in a short time frame! I agree though, that you have to pick what's important and focus on that first. I'm working on venues this week and hopefully can get that locked down so I can start working on other things!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello and welcome!

You are not late and you have plenty of time.  Do not stress.  Firstly, you can always send out an electronic STD.  This is extreamly cheap and will start to get the word out to those you want to come.

When it comes to DIY, I would begin to focus on the things that you need to see at your wedding.  These you should work on first.  Piling on a million DIY things will only stress you out.  Pintrest can be a black Hole.  I say this in the nicest way possible.  If you have never done a certain DIY, try doing a test run of it.  Also research the DIY, you might find others who have tried it and it has completely failed/had to alter it.  You do not want to spend 8 hours coloring rose petals for your aisle, only to find the dye you used rubs off on everything. 

Also use your resources.  You might have very crafty friends/family that can help allevitate the tasks.  I had one gf who was a teacher.  I gave her a very simple DIY and she had her kids execute all of it for me. 

The bottom line: never do it on your own, and we are all here to help in any way we can. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards