Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wedding Cake Flavor - strawberry shortcake

Hi Ladies,

We are getting married in late August, and like good Italians, we have a TON of food for our guests. Our venue includes the wedding cake in the total cost, though our options are limited unless we want to pay more (which we don't). Since it will be summer and everyone will have had a large meal, I was thinking of doing white cake with one layer of fresh strawberries and one layer of whipped cream, surrounded by buttercream frosting (the wedding is inside, so no worries about melting). Does this sound tasty? Has anyone had a cake like this before?

Re: Wedding Cake Flavor - strawberry shortcake

• rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good to me, but i would do the strawberries and whipped cream together in a layer. So cake-strawberries-whippedcream-then another layer of cake. Of if possible by your venues a strawberry mousse filling which basically is strawberry puree folded into whippedcream and set with geletan. 
    But you cant go wrong the the strawberry/whipped cream combination. Also talk to the baker about it as doing whipped cream in a tiered cake makes it more delicate and a lot of last minute details as you cant fill with whipped cream too far in advance.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing a white cake with layers of whipped cream and sliced strawberries in between the layers of cake.  It was delicious at the tasting!  Good luck to you. 

• edited December 2011
    Thank you!

We do have the option of strawberry preserves or strawberry mousse as well, so I will talk to the wedding coordinator/baker about what will work best: those, or the layer of whipped cream + strawberries.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_wedding-cake-flavor-strawberry-shortcake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e4d11f91-0f23-48a7-9599-e731c4652e47Post:a31fa3a1-46e7-4236-9537-3ab5c2cded9f">Re: Wedding Cake Flavor - strawberry shortcake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds good to me, but i would do the strawberries and whipped cream together in a layer. So cake-strawberries-whippedcream-then another layer of cake. Of if possible by your venues a strawberry mousse filling which basically is strawberry puree folded into whippedcream and set with geletan.  But you cant go wrong the the strawberry/whipped cream combination. A<strong>lso talk to the baker about it as doing whipped cream in a tiered cake makes it more delicate and a lot of last minute details as you cant fill with whipped cream too far in advance.</strong>
    Posted by rascal17[/QUOTE]

<div>Definitely check with the baker. The one I'm working with won't do a cassada wedding cake because the tiers can easily move around and ruin the aesthetics. But it sounds delish!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    This sounds delicious! I know tons of people who prefer strawberry shortcake over traditional cake! I think this will be a big hit! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have seen a couple strawberry shortcake cakes; however, here are some downsides to whipped cream:

1) Has to be refrigerated and can only be out a certain amount of time (in an A/C'ed room.)  This means that it will be difficult to set it up before the wedding, etc. 

2) Whipped cream tends to make some cakes soggy.  To compensate for this, some bakers will bake a firmer/more dry cake.  BE CAREFUL WITH THIS!

3) You can't fill whipped cream ahead of time, or it will be.........a soggy cake.  Your baker may charge more for whipped cream as someone else said...due to time constraints.

IF you can find a baker experienced with this type of cake - go for it! I LOVE strawberry shortcake!  I'd recommend a light strawberry mousse or vanilla mousse and strawberry instead.

Good luck - now I'm hungry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards