Texas-Houston

Vendor Review - Cakes by Gina

Cakes by Gina provided the cake for our wedding on 10/10/10 and it was worth every penny we spent. We picked them after tasting their cake at my sister-in-law's wedding and thinking how delicious it was and how amazing that they could make frosting that looks like fondant but isn't.

After a few initial issues getting things set up, our tasting went very smoothly and the only hard part was picking which flavors! The store has tons of sample cakes out to help you pick shape and design and can pretty much do anything you want. We picked lemon with lemon curd and carrot cake - both so delicious and not overly sweet. The consultant drew us a picture of the design and went over the total cake needed for our headcount.

The only negative was that the guy who delivered the cake (literally 30 minutes before the ceremony - eek!) seemed a bit confused and was calling on my bridesmaids to review and "approve" the cake instead of the venue coordinator. That caused some unnecessary confusion but it all worked out in the end. Our guests raved about the cake! It looked stunning, as expected, and was just as we had requested. We are loving eating the (very few) leftovers and have frozen our cake top to eat in a month or two (no way are we wasting this awesome cake by waiting a year!)
Our Wedding Day

Re: Vendor Review - Cakes by Gina

• Eboix518Eboix518 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    glad you loved gina, she did our cakes too, and we saved it for a year and it tasted fantastic!
  • edited December 2011
    How did you wrap it?  I did several layers of saran wrap and then an airtight bag.  I would just be so bummed to open it in a year and have it be yucky.  I'd appreciate any tips!
    Our Wedding Day
  • Eboix518Eboix518 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Not sure...our venue wrapped it for us...I actually didnt see it until our 1 year anni when my parents brought it to us  lol

But I did get a replica of DH's cake for his bday and we froze it for a couple months, the press and seal stuff works great, then I covered it with foil and then put it in an airtight container
  • edited December 2011
    The container is a good idea.  Thanks!
    Our Wedding Day
  • edited December 2011
    I just froze our cake that I got from Gina's.  I loved them too!

The instructions were let the cake freeze completely.  Then wrap three layers for saran wrap around the cake.  Then wrap the box the cake is in with saran wrap.  Then wrap that in foil.  It's only been 3 weeks, so I don't know how it will look in a year.  Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards