Michigan-Detroit
Options

Tell Us Tuesday

How involved is your fiance in the planning?  Is there anything that you are surprised that he cares about/doesn't care about?  What things is he adament about having?

Re: Tell Us Tuesday

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Steve has been pretty involved, but I like that. We made all big decisions together and he actually picked the venue. He jokes, though, that his job is to say "ok" and pay the bill :) I keep him updated on the status of our to-do items and he steps in when I need extra help. He was adamant that he didn't want a chocolate cake.
  • Options
    missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Michael is WAY more involved then I thought he would be. He picked our colors!!! (hot pink, black and white).  My biggest surprise he has cared about has been the guest list. There is some family of his he isnt fond of and we had to fight with him to have them come....also he has a huge intrest in decorations..lol. He wanted a good photographer and not one that just does the traditional pics.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • Options
    matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jeremy has been very involved all along, but I don't know if he'd be quite so involved if I hadn't been so adamant that everything in the wedding reflect him and his tastes as much as me and mine.  If that makes any sense.  Before I started insisting, he was under the impression that etiquette-wise, it was actually his job as groom to step aside and give me whatever I wanted. 

I'm an insane planner, so the process has mostly involved me narrowing down the options and bringing them to him and having him pick one.  Sometimes he doesn't like any of them, and then we go back to the drawing board.  He's always offered to help with DIY-ing, but I'm only really taking his offer recently.  I'm  a total perfectionist, and generally go by the "do it yourself to get it done right" policy, but I'm learning that that hurts his feelings and it's important to him that I find ways that he can help.

Did he really insist on anything?  There were a couple of things that I wanted but felt were too expensive, and once he saw how much I wanted them, he insisted that we do them.  And he insisted on a slight level of formality that I didn't really care about.  I was okay with him getting married in a button-down with the sleeves rolled up, for example, and he's insisting on wearing a suitcoat, at least until the ceremony's over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH was involved in as much as I asked him to be.  He really didn't care about a lot, he just wanted to marry me and he didn't really care about how that happened so long as it did.

We both knew we would get married at MSU so that was a no brainer.  The only other thing he was adament about was not seeing me before the ceremony.  I had thought about doing some pictures ahead of time but he said absolutely not.  But I wouldn't take that moment back for anything.  Seeing his face as I'm walking down the aisle - priceless.

He also HAD TO HAVE a cakecutting set that we saw when registering.  Some of you may remember that story and it still cracks me up to this day.  He's a weirdo :)

Other than that, he had an opinion because everyone has an opinion but he didn't really care about a whole lot.  As I said, he just wanted to marry me and let me take care of the rest (mostly).
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Renny has not been involved in too much of anything. I narrow everything down to my top three, then I ask for his opinion and we decide together. He has done none of the research none of the vendors call him or email him for anything even the guy at the tux shop knows to call me if he wants an answer LOL. The one thing that surprised me was FI's interest in the aisle runner he is really geeked up about that!
  • Options
    baileyleevbaileyleev member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He started off totally hands off, and I gave him a hard time about it (now kicking myself). He now has been involved in every thing!!! I was shocked he cared so much about having chair covers LOL, really?! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI has been very involved.  In the beginning he went to bridal shows with me, although he says it was just for the free samples of things. 

He has been picky about a lot. Wanted to get married in a church and no first look photos, so a bit of a traditional side.  He also wanted to have a say in our colors, red, black and ivory. FI also had a vision for the cake, after a few minor changes, he got almost exactly what he wanted.  He wanted to make sure we had a good photographer so he was very involved with that.  Also, he is a foodie so he was picky about the menu.

When it came to registering, he was a big help.  He picked our knives, cookware and some outdoor things with no help from me.  He was also passionate about the smaller gadgets and miscellaneous items. 

When it comes to DIY projects, our moms have taken on a lot of those because mine is retired and his works a very flexible schedule.  They both are very creative.  FI did help with STD assembly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is so involved with everything!  I'm really surprised.   He made all the hall appointments and he researched all the photographers.  He's very sure of himself, wedding wise.  Smile 

He's been adamant about only one thing - no first look!  He will not even consider it.

(I was adamant about having three entree choices instead of two which he thought was a funny thing to be concerned with)

He's a little upset because he wants personalized matchbooks at the bar but I want no part of that.  lol 
  • Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    FI has been involved in the planning in that I run everything by him and involve him when I really want him to be involved. He visited all the venues with me and we made a decision together. He also visited the DJ with me. Everything else I've done with my mom, simply because he hasn't been available. We also registered together -- my mom wanted to come too and I was like, uh, no? But I know lots of moms do.

I also plan to involve him in some of the DIY aspects, they just haven't come up yet!

I can't think of anything he's been adamant about. Oh, wait. He was adamant that we upgrade to a premium bar and that we have a late night snack, whereas I was pretty "meh" about the whole thing.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI is very involved in everything except my dress and which photobooth company we went with.  He is a graphic designer so he is very interested in our invitations and any other paper items we do.  I like having him involved.  My ex was never interested in planning my first wedding.  So it's nice to have someone who is genuinely interested in the planning.
  • Options
    vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We still have a long way to go, but we throw out ideas constantly. We searched for reception halls for a few months, but I already knew where I wanted it. I was surprised at how much he wanted to have it there also. He is very much a realist and I thought he would put his foot down at the price. But he crunched some numbers and said its totally worth it, which made me oh so happy.

Another thing is that he does NOT want to see me until I walk down the aisle. I was joking with him and asked him to pick out a dress with me, he got super serious and said "I want to see you in your dress for the first time when you are walking down the aisle". He also wants to wear suspenders and helped pick a color scheme. And that is it thus far, but I am sure he will be helping when we start planning for real.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He's been somewhat involved... Kinda like Liz, at the end of the day he just wants to marry me so he's not too concerned with the little details here and there but it's not like I choose any vendors without consulting him (with the exception of hair/make up/where I got my dress/etc). He's pretty laid back and so am I... so that's the difficulty in planning a wedding when both of us shrug our shoulders and go "ehh... sure..." haha
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chris has been very involved.  He wants input in everything except what I'm wearing that day (and things like my hair and makeup).  Typically for things I narrow it down to the top 3 to 5 that I like and then ask him for his input.  He also is picking a lot of the music on his own. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards