Destination Weddings Discussions

Question about ordering my dress...

So I apologize again for the pity party I threw myself the other day about my weight loss trials, but thank you ladies for all the support. I have not given up and am trying to stay positive... And then I went looking for a dress yesterday. It was rough as a lot of the styles did not fit, but I managed to find two I liked ill post pics soon. My debate now is do I order the size I am now of a size down? I used to work in a bridesmaid boutique and always advised girls against going down a size, but I am completely dedicated and motivated and refuse to stay this size by my wedding. I have over 7 months to the wedding and hope to be down about 40lbs. Even if I.don't get to.my goal, I'm hoping to be down at least two sizes... I don't want my dress to be so big it loses something when they alter it ive seen that happen... What do you ladies think?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Question about ordering my dress...

• jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    I actually ordered my dress as it fit when I went. I planned to loose weight but I wasn't sure. It now has to be taken in 2 sizes...oops! Are the alterations free? Do the dresses you picked out have a corset back?
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • That's exactly how I was when I ordered my dress....  when I got measured different body parts fell into different sizes.  I ended up ordering a different size all together...  the sample dress I tried on was a 12 and it didn't zip, the lady at the shop told me I measured for a size 16 or 18 depending on my waist or bust... well I ordered a 14.  I was stressed the WHOLE time... AND I didn't lose everything I expected to lose.

When I went in to try my dress on, it surprisingly fit!  BUT I'm still trying to lose some weight and will have it altered.

If you order a size down, I would ask what the difference is in measurements.  To make sure it will be doable for you.  Also, if it's a corset back, it will be a lot more forgiving if you do order a size down.

Even if you ordered the size you are now, I'm pretty sure the seamstress's are amazing and can alter it with out losing anything...  The thing I would be more worried about is the price of alterations.
    Jen's Bio ~ Updated 4/30/2012
    The day I married my best friend!

Anniversary
  • I ordered the size that I fit in but am anticipating that I will have some alterations. I would recommend ordering what you feel comfortable with. If you know that you can lose the weight, do a size lower. But if you don't want to be stressed out by it not fitting, than I would do the size that fits you now and alter it when it comes to it. 
    ~*~ Ask me about DW Knottie of the Day and Nestie of the Day! ~*~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Order the size you are now, it can always be taken in.  Wedding dresses  come in such odd sizes, don't let the size they say you are get you down.  The last time I was a bridesmaid they told me I was 4 sizes larger then the clothes I normally wear.  I just went with what they told me and it actually fit when it came in.  I don't know why they are so different from normal clothes or even different from designer to designer, but you should trust the people measuring you.  A size down in some designers are different than others and may be much smaller in some areas than others.
  • Make sure you have the conversation with your seamstress to see what is even feasible for the dress that you are ordering, and see how long in advance it needs to be ordered. The seamstress will know best about what can and cant be done with your material and style, and you can be on your way to achieving your goals!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies, I have about a month before I really have to order it so I'm kicking it into high gear, and will make a decision then. I don't really care what size it, I've worked with formal gowns and know they're not like clothes sizing, I was just skeptical bc if the alterations. They're not included in the price and besides how expensive they could get bc of major alterations, I just wouldn't want the lines to not sit right if I lost all this weight and its 2 sizes to big. Ugh I hate that you have to order so far in advance... Lol
  • The only other thing I would consider before deciding is if any part of your dress is particularly form-fitting, and if so, is that over a part of your body that you typically lose weight from or no.  Even when I weighed 20lbs more than I do now, my hip size was the exact same, so it's just something else to keep in mind if you don't have a body where you tend to lose evenly across everything.  Good luck!
  • That is a good point, I always have a big bootie no matter what, but it.usually goes down a little. And yes, either one I'd go with is a little more form fitting. Hmm... I'm going to see a month from now. At least it'll give me some time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards