Texas-San Antonio

Venue Poll! Let's get it going!! :)

-What venues have you visited?

-Which were the best?

-What were the Pro's & Con's of the Best Venues?

-Which were the worst?

-What were the Pro's and Con's of the Worst Venues?
"If music be the food of love, play on ..."-William Shakespeare

imageMy Wedding Blog

Re: Venue Poll! Let's get it going!! :)

• edited December 2011
    - Venues visited: Dry Comal Creek Vinyards, Club at Sonterra, and Gardens at Cranesbury View
    - The best? I can't say which was best, they each had a different vibe. I ended up going with Gardens at Cranesbury View
    - Pros for Dry Comal Creek Vinyards: they give you a discount on their wine & you don't have to pay for unopened bottles, they have no catering restrictions, lots of parking
    - Cons for Dry Comal Creek Vinyards: i think that they do have restrictions as to what kinds of alcohol you can have on the premisis - no liquor & I don't think they permit outside bartending services (which may or may not be a bad thing).
    - Pros for Gardens at Cranesbury View: it's new and pretty, they can provide all your tables and chairs, they offer in-house linens, tableware, and floral design, you have the option of outdoor and indoor location
    - Cons for Gardens at Cranesbury View: you can only select from her list of "Preferred Caterers", location is a bit hard to get to
    - Seeing how I didn't shop around a lot, I can't say which was the worst... if I had to chose, The Club at Sonterra, because everyone working the wedding event there was so cold
  • edited December 2011
    I visited
    1) Red Berry Mansion: pretty site but not enough indoor space for a big reception all in one room.  Also not very friendly at their bridal fair
    2) Seregeti Resort: no indoor reception site.  But very unique and pretty atmosphere.
    3) Granberry Hills: pretty sites, didn't like the backup plans in case of rain.  They also run "The Wedding Guide" so I think they sold my email to every wedding vendor in San Antonio
    4) Westin La Cantera: beautiful location, pricey.  We actually wanted to have our wedding there but I emailed the coordinator twice after we took our tour to discuss dates and though she confirmed receiving my emails, she never got back to me.  Their loss!
    5) JW Marriott: also beautiful and pricey.  I didn't love their reception ballrooms and also felt the hotel was kind of expensive for our many out of town guests
    6) Club at Sonterra: this is what we are going with.  The coordinator there has been super friendly and conscientious with returning emails.  I have talked to several people who have had their weddings there or been to weddings there with positive feedback.  I'm hoping for the same.  Fingers crossed!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we ended up going with the Westin La Cantera - i didn't see any other venues. My mom and fiance picked it when he was in town.
    4.5 months to go til the wedding and we have the same issue with the coordinator PP was talking about - never returns emails. Had our tasting this past week and the menu we discussed was totally different than what we were served - so frustrating and what we were served was subpar!
    I feel like I made the wrong choice :(

• amc1217amc1217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nsj327--If you have concerns, I urge you to do something about them now.  Go to that person's supervisor or get in front of her and tell her your concerns.  I had concerns about my venue's coordinator after our early dealings with her but I'm not always that assertive so I just hoped for the best and I really regret that now, because my fears were realized.  I don't want you to have regrets about your wedding day like I do, so I really urge you to take whatever steps you can now to address this.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with amc you really need to get it straight. There are plenty of other places that would be ahppy to have your business.
  • snowflake909snowflake909 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only visited Red Berry Mansion and decided it was what I wanted.
    PROS: Beautiful outside location with plenty of room for a poolside reception. Tons of space to get ready the day of.  I heard it was fun for guests to explore the historical grounds while we finished up pictures. You are allowed to bring in your own alcohol as long as you have some one to serve it.  For the most part I thought they had a decent amount of options for vendors.  Our catering company, The Columbia Culinary Team, was incredible.  They worked with our budget to provide us with everything we wanted and the food was sooooo good.
    CONS:They completely switched coordinators/ representatives if you will and didn't bother letting me know. I had to find out by calling to ask why the direct line to the person I was used to dealing with had been turned off.  The new person, however was helpful when I needed. The location chooses the time of your rehearsal.   I chose to go with Illusions Rental, and had an absolutely aweful experience. Not only did they set the main tables up wrong, even though I had to pay extra, it was a standard way they set it up, and I received 3 phone calls from 3 different people when they were doing it.  They also sent us a bill (which we had already paid in full) for a Large amount owed which we received when we got back from our honeymoon.  When I called, they said it must have been a mistake, but it was still frustrating/ a little scary. 

Overall I still do not regret for a second having my wedding at RBM, but it really just depends on your own personal preference :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards