Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Suggestions on shampoo/conditioner?

I have somewhat damaged hair and am trying to make it frizzy-less by the wedding. I've been using Tresume (i think that is how its spelled) shampoo and conditioner. It works great. 

Are there any treatments I can add to my routine to help make my hair healthier? Any advice will help :)

Re: Suggestions on shampoo/conditioner?

• Options
    When I was a year-around swimmer (in the pool 5-6 times a week) I would use VO5 Hot Oil treatments every once in awhile. That helped with the dryness.

Some other tips:
    When you're shampooing your hair, scrubbing the scalp is fine, but don't scrub the rest of your hair.
    Don't use a brush when your hair is wet - a comb is best and will help prevent split ends.
    When you're drying your hair with a towel, be gentle with it. Don't rough it up too much with a towel.
    Try to avoid using a blow dryer/curling iron/flat iron as much as possible.

Oh, I also use Chi Silk Infusion: http://www.amazon.com/CHI-SILK-INFUSION-RECONSTRUCTING-COMPLEX/dp/B000BX1Z00

Hope this helps!
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Thanks a million Melissa!
  • Options
    You're welcome! :)
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    To elaborate on Melissa's advice about towel drying--try to blot and gently squeeze your hair instead of wringing it out with a towel.  I don't twist my hair up in the towel anymore--I wrap it instead--and I think it's helped.  I use a thin towel (mine is a quickdry camping towel, but you can buy a special hair towel--I've seen them at TJ Maxx), which the Curly Girl book recommends to reduce frizz. 

I've also read that sleeping on a satin pillowcase can help, although I haven't gotten around to getting one yet. 
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2011
    My sister swears by a treatment where she plasters her head in mayonnaise that is olive-oil based (that is the key) and lets it sit for 20 minutes, then rinse.  I want to try it myself.  I should mention that we have dry hair however, not oily.
  • Options
    I highly recommend the Simply Smooth keratin treatment. Not sure what it costs around you, but I just got it done in Worcester, MA for $25. I have super super curly hair and was having such a frizz problem and my hairdresser tried the simply smooth on me and it worked like magic. My curls are even more defined and the frizz is completely gone. It last 4-6 weeks, but its pretty cheap.

• Options
    Wen. I effing love it. I used to swim every day and I tried everything to keep my hair from being crazy frizzy. This is the only thing that's been able to calm it down.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There is a product by Nexxus that has been proven to repair split ends. I forgot what it is called, but it is in a small grey bottle with a pump. They have it at WalMart. I bought some but have not really used it much yet-- I wanted to start closer to my wedding. My friend uses it and loves it.

Do you use a heat tamer when you blow dry or use a flat iron? My tressume one works wonders. I also use a shine spray from Bed Head that makes the hair look really shiny and healthy.

You could also get a vitamin called biotin. It helps improve, hair, nails, and metabolism.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've tried biotin, for about a year. It really didn't help. And I've heard about the mayonaise stuff but I'm afraid my hair will smell funky lol. I use a heat tamer spray, and I also have a leave in from my hair stylist that has helped a little bit :\.

I'm tired of having crazy hair every day :\

I'll try the VO5 treatments, I've read good stuff about them and look into the Chi product Melissa posted.

Its kinda funny...after the wedding I'm chopping off my hair anyway but I want it healthy now
  • Options
    I'm a little bit of a product junkie.  I've tried tons of stuff over the years, without ever loving any of it.  I just started using Moroccan Oil, and I'm in love!  My dry, damaged hair feels like silk!  It's pricey, but totally worth it.
  • Options
    My stylist uses Argan oil, which is supposed to be similar to Moroccan oil, on my hair. It's a little cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Agadir-Argan-Oil-Treatment-4-Ounce/dp/B001U9M2EW/

I've been using Pureology conditioner for the last year. It's expensive, but I get the huge bottle and it lasts 6+ months. I'm also using Redken CAT on my stylist's recommendation. I don't know if it really helps.

For a cheap fix, I agree with starting with the hot oil treatment. In general, the more you leave it alone, the better.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MarraKesh X, I got it from Beauty Plus Salon, it detangles and controls frizz. It comes in a brown bottle. It is a leave in treatment works GREAT! My hairdresser suggested it for me, back in March. I've seen a major difference in my hair. I also use Tressume shampoo and conditioner, they have a large selection for different hair types!
  • Options

I love S Factor hair products.  They have amazing shampoo and a really great deep conditioner that I use. 

The Brazilian Blowout is AMAZING for frizzy hair.  I have really curly/wavy hair (but straighten it) and last your I got the Braz. Blowout and it calmed down my hair for a good 3 months.  It made it basically straight, much smoother, and almost frizz free.  It didn't totally wear off for about 6 months.  I am going to get it in a few weeks because my wedding is July 9th and then we are going to Hawaii for our HM, so it will really help me out then with the humidity.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards