dogs in wedding party

anybody having dogs in the wedding we are
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: dogs in wedding party

• Options
    BAD idea.

Also, it's "anybody" not "enbody".  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    This is a really controversial topic.

If you're going to have a dog in the wedding, I do hope that you have all your bases covered.   There are so many reasons why this could be a bad idea.
  • Options
    I love dogs.  I have one sitting next to me right now.  Well, actually she's whining and  running back and forth trying to get to DH who is outside.  It's my friend's dog that we're doggie-sitting for.

2 of our kids have 4 dogs between them.  We love when they visit.  I tell you that so that you'll know that I'm not an animal hater.

Dogs don't belong in WP's.  They're dogs.  I obviously don't like the idea at all.  There are just so many reasons why.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I love dogs and in theory I always thought it would be cute to have my little Yorkie be a part of my day but she gets so anxious around large groups of people and has such a small bladder that it wouldn't be a good idea. Dog pee on a wedding dress would certainly put a damper on the rest of the day wouldn't it! ;)

Plus you have to think about your ceremony location and if there would be someone available to take the dog(s) back to someone's home. Potty breaks, food and water, etc... Not to mention the fact that someone could be allergic.

• Options
    We acually would love to have our dog in the wedding but we decided not to. That is the last thing i want to worry about on the big day ...is she going to behave?....is she going to bark?....you never know.  Having that many ppl aruond her and  the music during the ceremony...you never know how a dog whould react in that sisuation. And i dont want to find out on the big day
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dogs-wedding-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:287439c9-a19e-4ccb-a862-102510056332Post:7c98aae3-beaa-47fe-bb80-2076075928c1">Re: dogs in wedding party</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is a really controversial topic. If you're going to have a dog in the wedding, I do hope that you have all your bases covered.   There are so many reasons why this could be a bad idea.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

<div>I think the main reason it is controversial around here is because most pet owners have not thought through all the implications of having their dog at their wedding.</div><div>
    </div><div>My biggest concern is that one of your guests won't be able to sit back and enjoy the wedding/reception because someone needs to look after the dog.</div>
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    I love love love my min pin, but having her in the wedding would be impossible!  She would be so anxious there is no way she would sit still.  She doesn't like people aside from "her humans" until she has some time to adjust to them.  I will settle for trying to get her in a couple of wedding pics at the house before the ceremony, and maybe using pics of her for table numbers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think I read somewhere about a guy with his pet grizzly bear in the wedding party.  Maybe it was here.  Regardless, pets in the wedding party seems like a risky idea because sometimes they are unpredictable.  Even highly trained pets can react in unexpected ways when confronted with situations they aren't familiar with (like being led down an aisle with a hundred people surrounding them).
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    nope. We love our baby, but that is waaaay too much of a hassle on your wedding day. We are actually going to take our epics at a mountain/park--so we thought we'd bring the dog along so she can be in some of our pics.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not opposed to well-trained dogs being in the WP if everything has been thought through thoroughly.  By well trained, I mean it doesn't jump, beg, bark (often), or lick; it should also be accustomed to being around large groups and strangers.  Basically a dog that's as well trained as a seeing-eye dog or show-dog. You would also need a pet-appropriate venue, a pet-sitter, dog food and water, and a ride home in case something goes wrong.

Unfortunately, if you can't type one correct sentence, I doubt you've really planned this out well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dogs-wedding-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:287439c9-a19e-4ccb-a862-102510056332Post:aaa29759-b743-4217-9d50-12c6e8996905">Re: dogs in wedding party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not opposed to well-trained dogs being in the WP if everything has been thought through thoroughly.  By well trained, I mean it doesn't jump, beg, bark (often), or lick; it should also be accustomed to being around large groups and strangers.  Basically a dog that's as well trained as a seeing-eye dog or show-dog. You would also need a pet-appropriate venue, a pet-sitter, dog food and water, and a ride home in case something goes wrong. <strong>Unfortunately, if you can't type one correct sentence, I doubt you've really planned this out well.</strong>
    Posted by jenn.daniel[/QUOTE]
    Not to mention guests who have allergies.  And I'd like to high-five the bolded part :)
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of dogs in the WP. You can never guess how a dog is going to act in that sort of situation plus its very likely one of your guests is allergic to dogs.

• Options
    Dog lover here, but unless you are in your own backyard for your wedding, not sure if there is a place for FIDO.

Ditto on the fear thing.  I have a friend who is TERRIFIED of dogs.  She's a BM, imagine i said to her "and Andrea, you will be walking FIDO down the aisle!"

I think it's one of those things that sounds really cute, but has a bad execution.

I love the idea of the engagement pics having the dog in them!
  • Options
    As much as I love my dog, she does not belong in my wedding.
  • Options
    Never work with children or animals.  FAR too many variables.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We LOVE our dog, and a lot of people asked if she was going to be in the wedding. She wasn't, however, because she would have hated it - lots of people and loud music in a finite inside space with the two of us not paying any attention to her.

I didn't vote in your poll because I think this can work, but only in very specific circumstances. If your wedding is outside but in a confined space (ie. dog can roam free but not escape) and you hire someone your dog already knows and likes to take it home after the reception (so this person can't be someone who's a guest) OR you and your FI are willing to literally make your dog your highest priority on your wedding day and watch it like you would as if you were at the dog park (which I cannot imagine actually happening even if you have the best intentions) OR you again pay someone the dog knows to do that same thing and stay at the reception (again, can't be a guest, that's not fair) then sure, assuming your wedding's pretty informal. But otherwise it's just not fair to the animal, and if you really love your dog you won't do it.
  • Options
    the wedding is on our farm and they are very well trained and we have checked with guest they do not mind we have someone to give them food and water and they can go in the house when they want and roam around they are show dogs
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In fairness, Stage, she only asked if anyone else was going to do it, not if she should do it.

OP, sounds like you may be one of the very few people who actually has all the conditions in place to make this work (at least in my mind) - enjoy!
  • Options
    News Flash: weddings are for humans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards