Washington-Seattle
Options

Losing Weight

Okay, I know I could post this on the Getting in Shape board, but honestly, you ladies just so much nicer! There can be some pretty rude people out there, sheesh! But I digress...

Considering you all live in the northwest, so you know how difficult it can be to get out and exercise in the rain... wind... hail... I'm curious to know are you doing anything to try or have you tried to lose weight before your big day? A little background info:

Last year, I lost 90 pounds, but since I've moved in with my fiance, I've gained back about 30 of it. I used to workout with a personal trainer, but needed to spare that expense to pay for the wedding! So, I'm having trouble even getting motivated. I'm considering trying the C25K program, not to run a 5K, but just to keep a routine. I know from my previous experience that running is a major part of what helped me shed the weight, but the treadmill can be so boring!

So, what are you doing, how are you doing it? How do you exercise when our weather here is icky half the time? What motivates you?
Anniversary

Re: Losing Weight

• Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a similar story.  I worked out with a trainer and was very strict w/ the gym and my diet about 2 years ago and then on my own for a while and lost about 70 pounds.  Then I got a promotion, job was very stressul, got lazy, and over the last couple years, I've gained it back.  : (  And now, we're finally getting married.

I've been trying to do what I did before on my own.  It works when I do it, its just about keeping myself motivated and sticking to it.  I did finally get my ass into the gym this week.  And I have to go shopping when I'm feeling good and buy only healthy stuff.  If its not in the house, you won't eat it.  I have a friend who did P90X and that worked well, but its a lot of work.  You lost 90 pounds before, so you know what to do.  Just do what you did before and figure out a way to motivate yourself and someone to keep you accountable.  Do you have someone how can work out with you?  That always helps.  In terms of where, personally, I have to go to the gym. 

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll add, that in my experience, its a habit.  Its hard to start, but if you can make yourself do it for one month, it becomes like a habit and you just do it, you don't have to make yourself.  The first month is hard. 

I need motivation too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I signed up for the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, hoping the training program would help me focus on something other than wedding details!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eek! I mentioned to a girl I work with about the C25K and she suggested the Rock and Roll Half Marathon... yeah I don't think I'd be anywhere near ready for that! But good for you for doing it! I hear it's a lot of fun :o)

You know, you're right. It definitely is a habit. Last time, I just really easily got into it, it wasn't hard at all. But getting back into it is so much more difficult than I thought it would be. And I have no idea why... because I feel better when I eat right and I actually really like the gym.

I'm not looking to be super skinny. I'd actually just like to be the 30 pounds lighter when we moved in together. I already bought my dress so if I lose too much weight, it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to alter.

I need motivation, too!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

oh lord, i need motivation. i lost 60 lbs 2 years ago.. and i've gained about 15 back but i don't feel good. i feel like a lump on a log. i really need to get back into the gym. asap!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

To get cardio in, I joined a gym that's on the way from my work to my home.  That way I don't have the excuse that it's out of the way, or the weather sucks, or FI/someone won't exercise with me.  I just make sure to pack my gym bag and stop by there on my way home from work.

Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know FI and I both feel more motivated to exercise when the weather is nice...which it is occasionally now. Make sure when we do get these days (after this current spring storm system passes) that you book it outside to enjoy! If you find you have dramatic differences in your motivation between summer and winter, you might try some light therapy and see if that helps.

Like Jennuinne said, grocery shop only when you're feeling good and definitely NOT when you're hungry. I'm much better about what I eat if its not in the house. FI and I need to go back to those rules. While I was working on changing my eating habits (and they are better in general), he agreed to help and support me and wouldn't bring that stuff in the house either. The only beer he could bring in was the nasty dark stuff that I can't stand, but preferably he wouldn't bring any in since even seeing his icky stuff would make me crave a tastier variety.

Good Luck! Oh, and I think we forgot again this week, but we try to do a Monday healthy check-in where we post our good and bad of the previous week so we can be accountable to someone other than ourselves and get encouragement.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    MerryfjMerryfj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been on weight watchers for over a year and kept off my a majority of the weight I lost. Left the program for a few months and gained some weight back. Layoff, new job, Christmas, and wedding stress! Killer! Back on the program now and having steady weight loss again. Love the meetings and the support system. There is something about the accountability of knowing you have to get weighed in each week. Tried to do it on my own and couldn't. For $13 a meeting, it's not a big blow to your budget. LOVE the program. Exercise is a challenge for most people. My meeting leaders advice: I hate doing laundry but I have to. -It's the same with exercise. Find something you don't hate doing and do it consistently!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I started by doing things I love at the gym: swimming once a week, then three times a week, then I moved to doing swimming twice, and elliptical once, and then it grew to elliptical 5 times a week. I have really bad shin splints from varsity tennis in high school, so it makes it hard for me to run on pavement.

After a while, I would add in weights every other day and then that stopped working, so I got a personal trainer and he taught me that you have to change your work out every 4 weeks or so, otherwise your body is too smart and adjusts to be most efficient: which means no fat burning. :(

I have the opposite problem I think. When the weather is nice, I don't want to exercise anymore cause there are millions of other things I'd rather do, but when the weather is bad, well... it's not like I can do anything else, right? Heh.

Good luck! :)

imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with tygirl, you have to go straight from work.  Once you get home, there are a million reasons not to go.  And if you change into your gym clothes at the office, you're more likely to go to the gym than make an excuse to go home b/c you already changed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ive been having a difficult time starting a weightloss program and was debating cancelling the wedding (not the marriage) because I had NO motivation to go dress shopping and was getting depressed thinking about it.

then I started drinking coffee two weeks ago (ive always hated the taste and never drank it) its made a world of difference. I put just as much nonfat milk as coffee to dilute the bitterness. It knocks out my appetite so that's been helpful and given me so much more energy. Its was either this or crack cocaine. lol.

Ive lost 5lbs in two weeks.  Ive also started taking a variety of group classes at the gym to break up the routine and walking a lot.  LIke everyone says, make it routine and work out regularly! Bob Greene says you should do something everyday and treat it like needing to brush your teeth.

im excited about the 5lbs, but the 40lbs i still want to go down is daunting.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    5lbs is great! and yea, 40lbs is daunting, but I made this excel spreadsheet that I can put in numbers (I weigh myself every day) and it projects my weight loss for the next 5 months and it's really nice to see all those numbers go down so it's pretty nice motivation. :)

I have like 9 columns.

The first three columns are what my weight should be if I stayed on track and lost 1% a week, 1lb a week, and 2lbs a week based on my starting weight.

The next three columns are: one column for weight input, and then loss based on every 7 days, and then total loss since the beginning.

The last three columns are what my weight is projected to be based on my input: 1%, 1lb, and 2lbs.

So it makes it quick to compare how I am doing versus how I should be doing and it makes things all very numbery and visible so it either makes me buck up and try harder (when I don't lose as much as I wanted) or make me feel good about myself and push myself to keep going (when I am losing at a steady pace).
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    edited December 2011
    i suck at working out...but when i do, i either listen to book on tape (book on mp3) on the treadmill, or i do one of the dance/step/kickboxing classes offered at 24hr fitness.
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What gyms do you guys belong to? I was also at 24 Hour Fitness and LOVED it but when my AMAZING trainer moved away, and I became domesticated, it all went downhill.

Now, I'm at LA Fitness and I think it's just okay. I'm really interested in doing their Zumba classes, but am terrified to do it by myself!

Merryfj... I've done Weight Watchers before but had a hard time sticking with it. Thanks for the advice, maybe I should give it a try again!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I belong to Olympic Athletic Club in Ballard. I love it cause it's totally the anti-cruising sort of gym that I feel so many other places seem to be.
  • Options
    Koolkay83Koolkay83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need to get back on track with working out....

I was sick for 2 weeks and crazy enough I work at a job ;)

So for the heck of it to back on working out, I am doing a half marathon walking program to stay motivated and try something new. I am hoping by 12 weeks I will be in awesome shape.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards