Michigan-Detroit
Options

Not enough people?

So we are paying for 200 people for our reception, we ended up inviting around 225 people.  The rsvp's are slowly rolling in, and when I started recalculating we'll probably only have around 140 people show up!!!!  This is crazy, because if we have to pay $3,000 for people not showing up I'm going to be very upset!!!!

Has this happened to anyone?
Our hall requires you to pay for a minumum of 200 people!?!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not enough people?

• Options
    Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks.  Our hall requires a min amount of ppl but not that many.  Is there anyway to talk to them and see if they'll give you a discount for the empty seats?  Is it too late to have a B list? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I'd invite more people!  I know we have the same wedding date, so you're still more than six weeks out, which is a normal time frame for invites.  But even if you're under count, you're still probably saving money in other ways by having a smaller guest list, right?  Fewer favors, fewer centerpieces...trying to find the silver lining here. :)
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd hurry up and send out invites if there were people that you were considering inviting and ended up cutting.  Our hall has a minimum, but I think it's 150 and we're inviting 300 so we're not concerned about it.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes they'll let you upgrade your choices so that you come to a dollar amount equivalent to the number of people that would get you to your minimum.   So you end up spending the same amount of money but aren't spending it on people who aren't there.  I'd ask about that as well!
  • Options
    emily1004emily1004 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the same thing happen to us. We invited 370 to our wedding and only 245 rsvped that they were coming. Since we already paid the minimum we just added more options of hors d'oeuvres for cocktail hour, added an antipasto course to dinner, and put the remaining towards our morning after brunch. Also we told single guest they could bring a date. You may end up saving money with less people coming. For me we saved a little in our cake because I only needed a five tier instead of six. Also we spent less money on favors!! Good Luck!!
    x
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_not-enough-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:1da6689a-d570-4ce7-9d02-046867b32e0bPost:a1101e65-b75f-40f2-bed7-18fae54ef9c7">Re: Not enough people?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sometimes they'll let you upgrade your choices so that you come to a dollar amount equivalent to the number of people that would get you to your minimum.   So you end up spending the same amount of money but aren't spending it on people who aren't there.  I'd ask about that as well!
    Posted by kristinandbill[/QUOTE]

THIS. Our hall has a min. 125 required for the room we're in - we're inviting around 130. If our number comes in below that, we will be upgrading some things (the bar, linens, etc..).
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    karolinawsukarolinawsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, the upgrading sounds like a good idea.  Theres not to many things we can cut to save since all our favors are purchased..... we might add more people to the list, I just don't want them feeling offended that they received an invitation 3 weeks after everyone else....  gosh darn it lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jennifer0124jennifer0124 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the same problem so I emailed the hall and asked if we would be able to upgrade the stuff to make up the money.  Instead they waived the minimum and only charged us for who we were having.  I'd go to them with a suggestion and see if they are willing to work with you.  Our hall even told us it was because I didn't ask for anything.  They also upgraded our bar to premium for free.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could invite all of us and our spouse's AND it could be our July GTG...YAY, no??!!! (jk)

Okay seriously though you should look into the upgrade or just ask them if you can lower your number...you never know until you ask. Just explain the situation and we will pray that they are accommodating. Good luck!!
    cjae2 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_not-enough-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:1da6689a-d570-4ce7-9d02-046867b32e0bPost:a1101e65-b75f-40f2-bed7-18fae54ef9c7">Re: Not enough people?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sometimes they'll let you upgrade your choices so that you come to a dollar amount equivalent to the number of people that would get you to your minimum.   So you end up spending the same amount of money but aren't spending it on people who aren't there.  I'd ask about that as well!
    Posted by kristinandbill[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.  A lot of places will do this.  Just ask them what your options are, I am sure they will work with you.  Especially if you end up spending the same amount as you would have.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto this:

You could invite all of us and our spouse's AND it could be our July GTG...YAY, no??!!! (jk)

LOL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards